Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex vs. PC: How to select the right machine for you

Team Adam's

Question

• Answers 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Spreading a product like MSW with a machine like the flex doesn't work well. You end up with a problem similar to if you attempted to apply it by hand. Highs, lows, uneven and blotchy application. The end result is often uneven and difficult to remove with a muddied appearance.

The rotation of the head is what causes the problems. With the PC on 3 its not even trying to spin so you can apply a product. The Flex is purely a POLISHER, not suited for application.

We're not going to be offering a gray flat pad either, simply don't want people to assume it will work as well as it does with the PC and be disappointed.

I'm even more confused now...

I have a 09 G8 GXP.

No CLUE on what one to get now...

Seems like I almost NEED both...

Whats confusing you and maybe I can help alleviate the issue.

The principle thing to understand is that the flex is a more powerful tool, it will produce results much faster than the PC and achieve some things that the PC simply cannot like heavier paint restoration.

The one shortcoming is we've found its not nearly as effective at applying sealants/waxes/glazes. Not saying it can't, but we just don't recommend it.

Its not MUCH of a drawback when you consider it really only impacts one product (Machine Superwax) outside of that it can do all the things the PC does, in less time, and some things the PC can't.

When you're done polishing you choose from one of our hand applied products (Americana or Buttery) to protect the finish.

I'm even more confused now...

I have a 09 G8 GXP.

No CLUE on what one to get now...

Seems like I almost NEED both...

I'd say if you are new to detailing.... Get a PC to start.

Its fairly cheaper and you can learn a great amount of things by using it as a beginner, like I did.

Definitely recommend the Pc. especially for starters! after a year under your belt, like junkman says, upgrade to the pc

I would never put a time limit on when you should upgrade. For some people. they may only use their PC 4 times in a year. That would not be enough time to consider yourself experienced with the PC. You only upgrade if there is a need to do so and you are experienced enough with the PC to know when you should.

The Flex is also not a necessary machine for everyone. If the paint on your cars is in the condition that the paint on mine is in, you would have no need for the Flex whatsoever. I can easily maintain my paint with the PC, which means that I am removing as little clear coat as necessary to do so. The key is that I properly maintain my paint and thus, I don't have to keep fixing it.

I have found you do not need as aggressive polish/pad to get the same amount of paint leveling (removing clear) so someone upgrading from a PC to a Flex should not automatically use the same polish/pad combos.

Start with a less aggressive method first to see what works so you are not removing unnecessary paint rather than just using prior PC combos. In the end to remove a swirl, you have to remove x amount of paint no matter which machine you use. I like the fact it can do it faster, less sensitive to down pressure (just hold it flat against the paint), but it does not work well in tight spots where a 4-in pad is needed.

Edited by Bunky

I have found you do not need as aggressive polish/pad to get the same amount of paint leveling (removing clear) so someone upgrading from a PC to a Flex should not automatically use the same polish/pad combos.

Start with a less aggressive method first to see what works so you are not removing unnecessary paint rather than just using prior PC combos. In the end to remove a swirl, you have to remove x amount of paint no matter which machine you use.

Excellent Point Al! :2thumbs:

You definitely want to start with the PC. Definitely.

I would agree with this statement. These guys make it look easy in their videos. I have yet to use a Flex (soon) but I have used a rotary and they are more of a handful so I see this being a bit more work to use.

I have thought about getting a hood and trunk off a beater at the junkyard and testing it on that first. I may just use my wifes Enclave instead... lol