Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Junkman Battles Another Keyed Paint Job

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys and girls, I had the opportunity to go at another keyed paint job this week. As a lot of you already know, fixing paint is a passion for me and not something I do for money. So when the owner asked me what I wanted in return, I told him nothing but some pictures and food. He decided that was not good enough and bought me this setup:

HT-BD1250.jpg

It's the Samsung HT-BD1250 Blu-ray DVD player and 5.1 HD audio with wireless speaker setup. I have to say that this beats Outback Steakhouse since I didn't have anything to go with my new 46" LED wide screen I just bought. I also needed a Blu-ray player as I hadn't bought one yet!

On to the repair. This scratch was too deep in places to totally remove but in situations like this, you try and make the damage as least noticeable as possible. At first glance, you would not be able to see the fixed product. That's what you want to achieve with damage like this. Here's the damage and it was not pretty. The scratch went from the front fender to almost the rear quarter.

toyota_scratch1.jpg

toyota_scratch1a.jpg

toyota_scratch1b.jpg

toyota_scratch1c.jpg

toyota_scratch1d.jpg

toyota_scratch1e.jpg

As you can see, this puppy was deep. I was going to have to start with 2000 grit paper for this scratch. This posed two problems. One, I cannot use the PC-7424XP to repair 2000 grit wet sanding damage (it is not powerful enough and would take forever). I would need to use my Flex 3401VRG polisher in this case. Two, this is a new Toyota, which is notorious for having some of the thinnest clear coat on the planet (the same with Nissan's). In a situation like this, you have got to use a paint thickness gauge that measures both base coat AND clear coat. I didn't have one handy and was going to opt out of trying to fix this but the owner insisted that I go at it, even after I warned him of the danger. That scratch was bothering him so bad that anything would be better in his mind. So, at it I went.

I started by claying the entire area as claying is the foundation of my shine. Another reason that I clayed the area is because the owner had used some Meguiar's ScratchX on the scratch in an attempt to repair the damage himself and I didn't want anything in that scratch that would affect my repair attempt. The only thing he managed to do was make the paint dull around the scratch. Once the area was clayed, I started with 2000 grit paper. When doing a repair like this where you are NOT going to be painting the car, you have got to know when to stop sanding. You do not necessarily totally remove the scratch. In most cases you won't, especially on clear coat that is as thin as it is on these cars.

After the 2000 grit, I followed it with the 2500 and then 3000 grit papers. Again, you have got to take into consideration that these papers are also going to remove clear coat so if you remove too much with the 2000 grit paper, you've screwed the pooch. That's why a paint thickness gauge is so important. At a body shop where they are going to paint the car anyway, a paint thickness gauge is a waste of time and not necessary. Here's some shots of the sanding process.

toyota_scratch2.jpg

toyota_scratch2a.jpg

toyota_scratch2b.jpg

toyota_scratch2c.jpg

toyota_scratch2d.jpg

toyota_scratch2e.jpg

Once I completed wet sanding the damage, I broke out my Flex polisher, some Swirl and Haze Remover and a orange pad. After buffing all the damage away with that combination, I followed it with some Fine Machine Polish and a white pad. After that combination, these were the results that I was able to achieve.

toyota_scratch3.jpg

toyota_scratch3a.jpg

toyota_scratch3c.jpg

toyota_scratch3d.jpg

toyota_scratch3e.jpg

toyota_scratch3f.jpg

toyota_scratch3g.jpg

So as you can see, I earned my keep and this is probably why the owner was so happy. Now I need to go setup my new gear and hear what it sounds like! ;)

The Junkman

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ, that was an almost unbelievable fix; I think that I would have had the guy go to the body shop--but your correction? That's 99-44/100% at least! Terrific job!:bow:

I'm telling ya', I did a double take when I saw it. The guy said that it was not bad and that it would be a easy fix for me. I quote, "All you have to do is just run your buffer thing over it real quick and it will go away!"

Yea, right! :help:

Thank you for confirming what I had suspected. My mom and aunt each have 2009 Toyota's. I have done a PC detail on both of them and thought they seems to have some rather thin clear.

Great job on this car. This is the same color as my aunt's 09 Camry.

This is the very thing that still has me on the fence for the Flex.

I have used the focus pads quite a bit with a drill. When detailing my aunt's car I discovered she had backed into a light pole and had roughly a 4x6 inch area that was roughly 15-2-%. I noticed when attempting to correct the area I was generating quite a bit of heat in the rear bumper. I don't know if it was the thin clear we have discussed or what. I've done some thorough paint correction on a few other things since then(namely the Harley in the year's best detail thread) and never encountered a heat issue.

Daniel, remember the bumper is plastic. It will heat up faster than a body panel or a fiberglass saddle bag. I did a little boo-boo on the bumper of my wife's car with a rotary. Too much heat and it bubbled the paint. I went brain dead and treated the bumper like a body panel. Next thing I know the paint is bubbling.

I'm telling ya', I did a double take when I saw it. The guy said that it was not bad and that it would be a easy fix for me. I quote, "All you have to do is just run your buffer thing over it real quick and it will go away!"

Yea, right! :help:

Yeah, one wave of the polisher and *poof* the scratch is gone? Uh, not quite. :willy:

Archived