Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to do for winter

duane9586

Question

I was wondering what you guys do to prepare for winter. Should I do everything from step 1 on up as far as polishing goes or can ii just add some more fine machine polish to my car. Thanks for any help

Machine super wax is what I mean:confused:

25 answers to this question

For this winter, this is what I did.

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SHR on rougher Spots (car is only a few months old)

4. FMP over entire body

5. 2X Coats of MSW

This spring I will likely

change step 1 to a full SHR to correct any winter damage.

then 5 will become BG

6. Americana

7. MSW

Since there is time until you do this, you should alter you order:

5. MSW

6. BG

7. Americana

MSW always goes directly on the paint.

For this winter, this is what I did.

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SHR on rougher Spots (car is only a few months old)

4. FMP over entire body

5. 2X Coats of MSW

This spring I will likely

change step 1 to a full SHR to correct any winter damage.

then 5 will become BG

6. Americana

7. MSW

I won't use anything BUT Adams on everything I own. IMO there's NO time to go cheap no matter what I'm putting it on.

That clear stuff offers almost NO protection. IMO it's a waste of my time and money to use them. I guess that's what I'm getting at.

I drive my G8 through the winter. It's corrected, It'll be redone in the spring. For now it's got a coat of MSW and either 2 or three coats of Americana.

Trust me.....I'm not into wasting a lot of time, unless I can achieve perfection and keep it that way. That is when I will choose to use Adam's products exclusively. The product I use when it is nasty and cold out, is clear, wipe on / wipe off....DONE! Two squirts on a pad will do a whole car, so it will last me the entire winter. The product isn't the greatest protection and doesn't last more than a few washes, but it is so fast and easy to apply, it works better than conventional products this time of year. And the biggest bonus is it isn't too fussy about the temperature when applying it. McGuires makes one and the shell guy does too. I'm sure Adam's buttery wax or glaze is better protection than this stuff, but it's cheap and for winter, I'm looking for super fast and super easy, with some degree of protection.

:(No matter what you do, nothing is going to last through winter's slush, ice, snow and salt torture. I just bought a new car and I plan on parking my ride for most of the winter and taking the bus when the roads are bad. I bought a ton of Adam's products and storing them inside to use in the spring. I think it's a waste to put them on now with winter approaching. In the mean-time, during the winter months, my car is just getting hand-washed weekly and a bi-monthly application of a cheap clear synthetic protectant (not mentioning the product for fear of being shot). I think the best thing you can do for your car in winter, is to be careful how you wash it. Don't give in to the auto car washes! Detailing aint for Michigan in winter!

Why would you use a cheap off the shelf sealant rather than Adams MSW or Americana which will last MUCH longer? Seems like you're doing as much work for less protection.

Chris

:(No matter what you do, nothing is going to last through winter's slush, ice, snow and salt torture. I just bought a new car and I plan on parking my ride for most of the winter and taking the bus when the roads are bad. I bought a ton of Adam's products and storing them inside to use in the spring. I think it's a waste to put them on now with winter approaching. In the mean-time, during the winter months, my car is just getting hand-washed weekly and a bi-monthly application of a cheap clear synthetic protectant (not mentioning the product for fear of being shot). I think the best thing you can do for your car in winter, is to be careful how you wash it. Don't give in to the auto car washes! Detailing aint for Michigan in winter!

I did a full step for my DD and wifes car. Washed, clayed, washed, orange shr, white fmp, gray MSW. Then put 2 coats of Americana on my car only (sorry honey..good thing she doesnt read this). That was 3 weeks ago. This past weekend we had some great weather so I washed both cars, cleaned out the insides and did both engines. We had rain yesterday and I was out and about. It cracked me up everytime I'd get in and drive off after each side stop because just the air on the car from driving it would cause all the water to just slide right off. Even in ongoing rain while i was driving my hood looked like it wasnt raining. Oh how I love theee great MSW and Americana.

Thanks for the fast replies guys. what I ment was put on extra coats of machine super wax. I did the whole process from clay bar on up in the spring. I will do it again this spring but for the winter I just want to add some extra protection from the snow/salt. thanks again

Just remember that MSW can/should only be applied over itself. If you put it over Americana or Buttery, it'll not adhere.

I have one coat of MSW and three coats of Americana and a coat of BG in there somewhere... lol

Chris

Thanks for the fast replies guys. what I ment was put on extra coats of machine super wax. I did the whole process from clay bar on up in the spring. I will do it again this spring but for the winter I just want to add some extra protection from the snow/salt. thanks again

hahaha we got another another one from the gp forums. Nice lookin car man. :banana:

By the way, Fine Machine Polish doesn't give you any protection -- its for polishing out micro-scratches and should be used as the last step BEFORE applying your choice of waxes/sealants.

Give a shout if you have any other questions on products and techniques... There are a lot of really helpful people here just waiting to chime in. :cheers:

Rich

That really depends the current condition of you paint, and how much work you want to put into it. For a daily driver in your climate, I believe most concentrate on the protection, applying a few coats of MSW, and leaving the correction until Spring.

:agree: basically get it correceted as well as is reasonable and then put on a few coats or MSW (if you're a machine polisher guy) or a few coats of Americana and then just take as good care of the car as possible over the winter. :cheers:

I was wondering what you guys do to prepare for winter. Should I do everything from step 1 on up as far as polishing goes or can ii just add some more fine machine polish to my car. Thanks for any help

That really depends the current condition of you paint, and how much work you want to put into it. For a daily driver in your climate, I believe most concentrate on the protection, applying a few coats of MSW, and leaving the correction until Spring.

Archived