Customer Service 866.965.0400

problem with the super plush buffing towels

gymrat7953

Question

Clayed - polished - MSW - then this weekend Americana.

Super plush towels are washed by themselves seperately , set on cool / normal wash with woolite and hung dry; this is my routine from day 1( towels are 7-8 months old). Its just my wife and I- we have an aggreement I don't fool with her laundry and she does not touch my micros. While removing Americana I noticed that there was lint / fuzzies spread allover the hood.

Waterless wash and its waffel towel took the lint off. Would the WW take off or deminish the freshly applied Americana?

I did my normal wash routine but this time I washed warm / 2 rinses cool and added white distilled vinager on the 1st rinse none on the 2nd - hanging in the garage air drying.

What else should I do? or do I have 4 bad towels?

Thanks

Terry

17 answers to this question

Ya know, I've never boiled a glass towel so I have no real answer for that. Its made of microfiber as well, just woven differently so I'd assume it would be the same.

reason i ask is because my older one is a little stiff. the new one i have thats the new size is much softer

If you suspect theres an excess buildup of stuff in your washer and dryer heres what I've done. Not scientific, but it works for me.

Run a clean cycle on your washer. Many of the newer ones have a setting where you put in a washing machine cleaner and run it and it cleans everything out. Some use bleach which I suspect should do the job also.

My dryer I'll toss in a couple bath towels and run on high heat with no softener. The towels effectively scrub the inside and the heat should help them absorb any softener thats in there.

Again, this is all SOTP theory, but it works for me.

Sounds like possibly cross contamination from whatever was washed previously to washing the towels. Just wash them again and it should be fine. If its not better after rewashing them, boil them.

I wash my towels on Warm... not hot, warm. They seem to always be great to use. I boil mine after the summer.

I also give me a couple firm shacks outside before I use them to get any loose dirt out of them from sitting.

:iagree: The lint may have came from what ever was washed in the washer before the M/F towels got washed.

Sounds like possibly cross contamination from whatever was washed previously to washing the towels. Just wash them again and it should be fine. If its not better after rewashing them, boil them.

I wash my towels on Warm... not hot, warm. They seem to always be great to use. I boil mine after the summer.

I also give me a couple firm shacks outside before I use them to get any loose dirt out of them from sitting.

Washing alone can only clean them up so much... the fibers hold on to little bits of polish and wax residue, detail spray, etc. Also, unless you have a separate machine for drying just your MF, there is some trace amounts of fabric softener in the barrel of your dryer as well. All that builds up, the fibers get matted, tangled, and the towel just gets generally tired.

Boiling helps them release all the stuff thats trapped in the fibers and refreshes the fibers.

On a microscopic level microfiber has a structure to it (illustrated below versus a cotton fiber) Over time those grooves get caked up, or stuck together, they don't clean well, maybe drag a little, and don't perform as they should. Boiling just restores the fiber back to its original shape and gets it as clean as possible.

Its not something you want to do often as the heat can help, but also hurt the towel if you were to melt the fibers.

513px-Microfiber-vs-Cotton.png

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Archived