Customer Service 866.965.0400

PS3 V. Xbox 360 ...discuss

6spdg37s

Who has both , if so which 1 do you like better?

is it worth having both?

I currently have a ps3 in my family room (den w.e you wanna call it)

redoing my living room which is going to include a 55" LED tv over a fireplace

were either getting a 2nd ps3 or getting a 360. Debating between which one to do ...

I own both and honestly, I find the PS3 to be annoying to use from a functional standpoint and the exclusive titles list a little thin if mostly high quality.

The 360 has a more user friendly user interface but is quickly trying to become an adult version of the Wii wrt the interface, which is frankly more than a little annoying, if understandable from a business point of view. The list of 360 exclusive titles is lot larger than the PS3, some of which are industry standards both good and bad....LOL For example I am playing Fable III atm and while it looks a bit cartoony to the casual viewer, it is without question one of the most adult games you are ever likely to play. HALO ODST sits on the other end of 360 exclusive games as a dust collector.

From a community perspective, the 360 world is much more active than I found the PS3 world to be. Both are almost unbarebly young so I wind up playing with guys I know, just so I don't have to deal with some kid on a farm in Nebraska trying to come off like he's some kind of gangster.

Really though, if you already have a PS3, get yourself a 360. Gives you access to pretty much eveything on the market. I will say to get the new 360 Slim. Much quieter and runs alot cooler than the standard 360 did.

I own both and honestly, I find the PS3 to be annoying to use from a functional standpoint and the exclusive titles list a little thin if mostly high quality.

The 360 has a more user friendly user interface but is quickly trying to become an adult version of the Wii wrt the interface, which is frankly more than a little annoying, if understandable from a business point of view. The list of 360 exclusive titles is lot larger than the PS3, some of which are industry standards both good and bad....LOL

From a community perspective, the 360 world is much more active than I found the PS3 world to be. Both are almost unbarebly young so I wind up playing with guys I know, just so I don't have to deal with some kid on a farm in Nebraska trying to come off like he's some kind of gangster.

Really though, if you already have a PS3, get yourself a 360. Gives you access to pretty much eveything on the market. I will say to get the new 360 Slim. Much quieter and runs alot cooler than the standard 360 did.

ROFL !!!!!! omg thats the funniest thing ever because its so true

thank you for the advice

If you already have a PS3 I'd say go with a 360, but I would make it easy to add the your current PS3 to this new TV though for the bluray watching. I had a 360 but sold it as I played the PS3 more and got over Halo, but kinda wish I had it still for Forza for a better racing fix before GT5 comes out.

I have a 360 which I enjoy playing Forza 3 but I'm super nerdy about cars and hotlapping so the replay value of that isn't probably as high for others if you aren't obsessed with shaving a hundredth of a second of your Nurburgring time like I am. lol I also have the new Call of Duty game which I really am not a fan of. The online stuff with Xbox is great though, you can stream netflix through it and all that jazz. I'm finding the older I get the less I game though.

I have a 360 and Wii... neither of which have been unboxed since the move (6 months now) and I'm considering selling them. Simply don't have the time to play like I used to.

That being said I'd still give a slight edge to the 360 on content... they just seem to get better titles and XBL is a very well established online gaming network. PS3 is great, expecially w/ the BR built in, but if I had to only choose one it'd be the 360.

Avid gamer here..and its definitely the 360 for me. I still game almost every night of the week (yea i know..i'm 41 and should grow up soon) but the online community is stellar on the 360. I've been gaming with the same core group of guys..all of which are located across the US and canada and I know more about these guys then I do my local buddies. The game list for the 360 always seems to out do the PS3. Yes there are some exclusive titles that might show up on the PS3 but for the most part the 360 has a wider library for kids and grown up games. I don't have the Kinect yet but in talking with a couple buddies that have both the PS3 move and Kinect they're giving the nod to the kinect since its completely hands free.

If anyone games on the 360 shoot me a friend request and join us. We're playing Black Ops, Forza3, Gears2, Red Dead in some mix every night or most. I'm usually on around 10 or 1030 pm EST (after the wife heads to bed). My gamertag ...is Osok

I have a PS3 and HAD a Xbox 360.

I sold the Xbox to buy a PS3. Why? Because the stupid Xbox would lock up after about an hour of playing. If it didn't lock up after an hour (like it did most of the time) it would over heat. I even bought a cooling fan for the Xbox and it didnt solve the problem.

I had a PS, PS2 and now PS3. I switched from PS2 to Xbox which was a big mistake. I would never buy a Xbox or any Microsoft labeled gaming system ever again.

Just my 2 cents!

I only have the PS3. Bought it for the Blu-Ray (I knew Sony was going to win this time [see Beta vs. VHS]) and for the exclusive titles - Gran Turismo & Metal Gear. My son plays 360 at his friends and from what he (and others here) says the community is bigger.

The only thing my dad ever brought home was the original Pong, which got old after 5 minutes. I had to go to friends to play Atari, but I made sure I did not have one any of these while I was finishing college!

BTW, we share a cafeteria with EA/Tiburon who make Madden, NCAA Football, Tiger Woods, and an MMA game.

I have had every generation PS system, we have a Wii as well, I personally do not like the Xbox controller, but that may be from 2 decades of PS style controllers. Also I have an online gaming clan of older guys, and we all have combos of the systems plus PC gaming, but hands down biggest thing is A) Constantly upgradeable Blu Ray Player (Yes the PS3 is already 3D capable), and the fact that its FREE to play online. I for one do not want to pay $60 for a game, then pay MORE to play online. Now I love some of the exclusive titles on Xbox and have tossed around the idea of getting one for those, but I will always be a PS3 guy, along with the 30+ guys in my group.

Im Kustom_FX on PSN.. go figure! LOL

OH and if you want to see Wicked Jesters

I own both and probably have a little bit different perspective on them. My main use of them is media and I'm the original author of one of mac streaming servers for them.

My question is what do you want to do with it? If it's for games, are you a big FPS guy? If so, xbox all the way. It's much better than the PS3 for that genre due to the games and xbox live. If you prefer rpg or platformers I like the title on the PS3 better. I'm a fan of games like Ratchet & Clank so I lean a bit more towards the PS3.

Truth be told, a large percentage of the games come out on both platforms, so it doesn't make a huge difference which one you have to get access to them. Sometimes they're not equal though. One platform with have some extra content, better graphics, etc. Since I have both, I usually ask the game stop guys which one to grab when buying a cross platform game.

Now on the media side of things, which is getting to be a bigger and bigger deal for me, I prefer the PS3 now, which is a change of what I would have said a year ago. The PS3's UPnP streaming has improved a bunch in the last handful of updates. I'm not running into the issue that I used to anymore. I still like the xbox's UI a little bit better, but the noise factor pushes the PS3 ahead of it for me.

The PS3 also wins for playing both BluRay and DVDs whereas the xbox only plays DVDs. Purchasing video content from their stores is pretty much a wash. Not much difference in price (although the xbox has the stupid points system) and both suck for being locked down big time with DRM.

The other media factor that I also look at is netflix streaming. Once again, the xbox had the advantage a couple months ago, but not anymore. The xbox has had it build in for awhile now while the PS3 required a netflix streaming dvd to be in the machine to use the service. An update came out about a month ago that added a netflix client to the PS3 without need for the disc anymore. So now the PS3 has the advantage for me due to the biggest problem I have with the xbox which is xbox live.

Xbox live is great is you like to play multiplayer games online, especially FPS games. My problem with it is that microsoft keeps putting more content behind it that doesn't need to be, like the netflix client. In order to use some services like Netflix or espn you have to have an xbox live gold account. I don't feel the need to pay MS $60/year for the privilege of being able to use another service that I have to pay a monthly subscription on, especially when I can do the same thing on the PS3 now for free. Granted, they're nice add ons if you already have a gold account that's being used for multiplayer games, but it feels like MS is sticking it to those of us that don't play the multiplayer games and therefore don't have a need for a gold account.

I've been kicking around buying another console to use mainly for media in another room of my house. I had been leaning towards the xbox, but I'm pretty much set on a PS3 now due to the recent improvements, no xbox live tax, and quieter units.

Also, be careful mounting the TV over the fireplace. If it's a wood burner the heat might be too much for the TV. So watch out for that. Having the flames in my peripheral vision while watching TV would also drive me nuts. :)

^ awesome write up man.. !! i have both now I think I like them equally... I have the original ps3 so i dont have the dual shocks for it and I like that the 360 controller vibrates so I may just pick up a dual shock for ps3 as well...

the fireplace is going to be fake so its not an issue

^ awesome write up man.. !! i have both now I think I like them equally... I have the original ps3 so i dont have the dual shocks for it and I like that the 360 controller vibrates so I may just pick up a dual shock for ps3 as well...

the fireplace is going to be fake so its not an issue

No problem. In reality both are good system. Their strongest points differ slightly, but they'll both get the job done for you.

The dual shocks are much nicer then the original six-axis controller. Worth the pick-up. I also picked up about week ago the PS3 Move. Bought the starter pack plus one additional controller. I've had a bit more fun with it than expected. The sports game that comes in the starter kit has some fun games in it. Only downside is the price. You really need at least 2 of the controllers which run $50 each. Some of the games play best if you have one in each hand.

Haven't tried Kinect yet for the xbox. Was going to pick one up, but have been holding off since it seems really limited right now, example it doesn't work with the netflix app so no "xbox pause" or "xbox start" commands. I think it has a lot of potential though. We just need to get to next level of software that takes advantage of it.

I have both and prefer the 360 over the PS3. For me personally navigating the PS3 is a pain in rear. Ive been gaming for a long time and in previous generations I would have to give the nod to PS, but in this generation of consoles I think 360 has it locked up. Since PS3 launch they have been playing catchup, granted they are very close now and who knows what the next gen consoles will hold, but that will be a whole new discussion.

I got a 360 on release day and never had problems with overheating, etc. that some people experienced. The new slim version has smaller chips in it which produce less heat to alleviate any problems (physically smaller, not less powerful)

As others have said though, they are both great and you cant really go wrong with either one. Most games and streaming services are available to both.

ok i have both and they are both good systems however if you want to pay to play then get 360. developers get enough money as it is. now microsoft making games and charging you to play is pure greed and i refuse to pay 60 beans for a game and also to use their internet. i'm already paying for internet service. give me my ps3 any day. :jester:

Archived