Customer Service 866.965.0400

I'm doing something wrong.

GTAHVIT

Question

Grrrrrrrr...

Check out the pics below..... micro................ scratches....... :mad:

Friday I went nutz with the hand polish and Buttery wax.

first washed then clayed the front fascia to get some dried bug guts off the car. I did not clay the whole car is it passed the baggie test and I was gonna run out of DS... which I had just enough to clay the fascia and dry the car.....

Then started with SHR and applied the RFHP right on top of the SHR residue. as it states on the bottle. I only used the SHR on a couple panels that needed it but used the RFHP on the whole car.

after removing the polish residue I went to the buttery wax. I applied the wax a little too thick, as I learned over the weekend, and I had to use some pretty good pressure with the MF towels to get it off.....

So, when I was done, I'm pretty **** happy with the results, took some pics on Friday in the sun that I was pretty proud of. So today I go take my boss outside to show him and this is what I saw under the direct sunlight.....

He didn't see it but I sure did..... Am I not using enough polish? should I have clayed the whole car? are my NEW towels contaminated....

or am I just not polishing enough by hand????? maybe I do need that PC....

:lolsmack:

Thanks in advance for the advice guys and gals. :2thumbs:

13 answers to this question

That looks dang good for hand work. Honestly you can't do correcting by hand. If you can you'd have to be super man. People who say they can are either starting out with a brand new never touched paint job or are using something with a lot of fillers to hide what is really there. You can do some minor correcting, but can't get it 100%.

If you want to get those to disappear, I would recommend a PC.

Hand Polishing can only do so much. You could spend weeks on a car hand polishing it and still have it look like that. Thats why I got a PC last year and thats why I bought a Flex on Friday :2thumbs:

You wont be disappointed with a PC to start out with, your arm will thank you too!

To hide swirls with BG, doesn't it need to be under the wax?

Nope! It's a filler (among other things of course). You can put it straight on the paint if you so please, or over the wax, or in between the wax applications. All it does is settle down into the crevices and make it LOOK better.

Remember that Machine Super Wax MUST applied to BARE paint. ;)

My best experience with hand polishing was over the summer. I got a nice size bird turd on my rear deck lid, I was at the beach so it was on there in hot sun for a few hours. When I got home I nailed it with WW, let it sit a minute and then was able to lift the turd right off. However, it did leave a nice little oxidation stain behind. Before reaching for my PC I went for hand method, and it worked perfectly.

The other night in our new car showroom I tried to see if I could get some swirls out of a black SRX by hand. I couldn't get them out, but the section I worked definitely looked better.

I've been able to work out some "etching", I think it's called, by hand before but I've never really noticed any micro scratches before.

I guess I was a little surprised to see them after being so pleased with the results.

I'm just glad I wasn't causing them by doing it wrong. So I need to save my pennies to get a PC...

Unfortunately my Detail budget is a sub set of my Camaro Mod budget....

I'm gonna have to get a 3rd job...

:lolsmack:

Thanks guys for the insight. :2thumbs:

Edited by GTAHVIT

That looks dang good for hand work. Honestly you can't do correcting by hand. If you can you'd have to be super man. People who say they can are either starting out with a brand new never touched paint job or are using something with a lot of fillers to hide what is really there. You can do some minor correcting, but can't get it 100%.

If you want to get those to disappear, I would recommend a PC.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

yup you can hand correct very minor damage but for most all swirls you either need a :pc: or a lot of time and strength :lolsmack:

The key is once you get your paint flawless it doesn't generally need as much effort to keep it that way.

I luv hand polishing cars but your lil hands will only move so much before your arm goes weak if trying to do actual corrections