Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brake Cleaning

camaro2ssblack

Question

9 answers to this question

The very rusted part is bare metal. Even if you clean it off it will rust again in about 2 minutes. The hat around the rotor could be cleaned with some steel wool or similar to remove the rust and then paint them with a brake caliper paint like G2. I painted my hats black after they rusted and they look much better. I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

The rust on the face of the rotor should come off within just a few moments of driving, once the brakes are applied. Then on the hat I'd do like Ray suggested - clean first with steel wool, wipe down with alcohol and paint with a high temp paint... G2 or any of the other kits available at the local autoparts store.

I couldn't stand that look either. Ray and Dylan suggested the fix: Dupli-Color Brake Caliper Paint was my paint of choice. It's held up fairly well. I touch it up when I pull the wheels off. I painted the Caliper Brackets as well as the Rotors hat, fins and vents.

The rust on the face of the rotor should come off within just a few moments of driving, once the brakes are applied. Then on the hat I'd do like Ray suggested - clean first with steel wool, wipe down with alcohol and paint with a high temp paint... G2 or any of the other kits available at the local autoparts store.

:iagree: That was the first thing I did to my GTO!

Mine look very similar to Dave's they just do not say GTO and the whole Caliper is red. I will get some pics in a little while. When I need to replace my brakes I will replace them with DBA rotors which already have a black or gold hat. I will say mine were clean yesterday but I drove in the rain last night so they are dirty again. They look like they have a little rust on them but it is only brake dust. The last pic shows where I wiped the dust off. I know my car is dirty, :willy: but it is not too bad, and it is a DD so I cannot wash it everyday. Also there is a little rust on the edges of the braking surface. I was not going for a perfect job as I painted these about a month ago just to try and fend off the winter rust. I will be replacing them in the spring and I did not feel the need for a perfect job as they are going to get jacked up anyway.

Front

2010-11-17_11-53-33_296.jpg

Back

2010-11-17_11-53-44_16.jpg

Archived