Customer Service 866.965.0400

Makita adapter for foam pads??

crowvet

Question

Hello, I have a old Makita 2 speed grinder/polisher, You know the old type we used in the 80's for grinding off the paint, and then switched to low speed with a lambs wool bonnet to buff with. A swirl making machine in other words. My question is this, Is there an adapter I could use to convert this to use the foam pads? In certain tough situations it might be nice. For example a cut and buff. Anybody done this?:pc:

12 answers to this question

True, but some of the older ones the plate was fixed and could only be replaced by completely taking the unit apart to free the plate and shaft from the head.

If you don't have pics Daryle just a model number so we can look it up and see what we can work out for you.

Thanks Dylan, I will try to get pictures and a model #

9207SPB_WW.gif

Looks like it attaches on a threaded shaft.

Part#14 - Sanding Lock Nut 5/8-48

The trick will be finding a backing plate with the proper size hook and loop face to work with the machine and still use the lock nut to hold it in place b/c based on that diagram the shaft isn't a interchangeable.

Maybe search makitas site or even e-replacementparts.com to see if they have a 5.75-6" backing plate compatible with the buffer.

9207SPB_WW.gif

Looks like it attaches on a threaded shaft.

Part#14 - Sanding Lock Nut 5/8-48

The trick will be finding a backing plate with the proper size hook and loop face to work with the machine and still use the lock nut to hold it in place b/c based on that diagram the shaft isn't a interchangeable.

Maybe search makitas site or even e-replacementparts.com to see if they have a 5.75-6" backing plate compatible with the buffer.

I agree, Dylan you beat me to it I had the same parts list ready to post!:D

Thats it exactly, Thanks guys. Question, Why would the backing plate need to bee held with the flat nut? Couldn't it just thread directly to the shaft?

I would think a threading backing plate would work. Just make sure the threads match.

Staples, or probably any other office supply place, sells Hook and Loop Material with a strong adhesive backing. I've probably done eight full or partial cars with this set up. The foam pads stick to this very well.

Staples, or probably any other office supply place, sells Hook and Loop Material with a strong adhesive backing. I've probably done eight full or partial cars with this set up. The foam pads stick to this very well.
Hey, COOL great idea. Thanks I will check that out.

Archived