Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Conditioner too shiny?

DCRANER

Question

For some reason my Leather Conditioner is winding up with a shiney finish on the leather / vinyl. Previous times it had the expected mat finish.

I wonder if maybe I'm cleaning the red pad the wrongway, or maybe rubbing it on too hard and having an effect like polishing something.

Seems odd but I must be doing something wrong. :willy:

I did do that after a while with a waffle weave, but it was already dry so the wipe off had little effect.

Waffle weave? What waffle weave?

If they're the drying towels or the WCW towels, you can really hamper the amount they absorb using them with anything other than their specified products unless that's all you use them for.

I'd just use either a cheap MF towel or a polishing towel to buff it down.

Problem is, your idea of shiny is probably different than my idea of shiny.

Chris

Waffle weave? What waffle weave?

If they're the drying towels or the WCW towels, you can really hamper the amount they absorb using them with anything other than their specified products unless that's all you use them for.

I'd just use either a cheap MF towel or a polishing towel to buff it down.

Problem is, your idea of shiny is problem different than my idea of shiny.

Chris

I can tell you it looks like that old crappy greasey Armorall, really very shiney for some reason.

The panels are of a new type of low chemical manufacturing process that GM debuted on the C6. I believe its been used on all NEW models since then. Its still plastic, but the process used to make it is substantially different from others and as such it behaves a little differently.

Plastic on a Vette? There ain't no stinkin plastic on a Vette! :lolsmack::jester:

Hmmm...

How long had it been since the last time you conditioned the seats?

Did you use Leather Cleaner before applying?

Last time was about 4 months ago. I just wiped them dowm with a clean damp cloth first, and it was really dry, not wet. Then in my garage at about 55 or 60 degrees.

I think it was a new bottle and I had cleaned (Adams AP) / dried the red pad. I let the pad sit for about 5 days before using it, so it is dry.

Just odd, it came out very shiney. Previous times the result was a mat finish.

Do you think I did it too often, used too much, rubbed too hard, etc.?

Hey Doug, I wasn't amazed with the leather cleaner or conditioner on the vette. The results I get in the Pontiac are phenomenal. In the C6 (I think I have a twin of your car basically) the conditioner is fine on the seats, but the cleaner seems to be blotchy on the panels. It almost appears to be leaving a light white residue behind, but it doesn't appear for a day or two later. I haven't been able to figure it out?

Archived