Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Detergent

Mick

Question

This was taken from another site.It's quoted from someone that's in the MF manufacturing industry.

" So called dedicated microfiber cleaning products. There is nothing special about these products at all. They are simply shop degreasers with a coconut or other sudsing agent added. They do not clean any better than a good laundry detergent such as All, Era, Tide, etc. In fact, over time, their harsh degreasers will actually damage the fibers, both natural and artificial. There is no way any detergent can "know" what it's cleaning and to charge the public as much as five times the cost of laundry detergent is, in my opinion, an unnecessary waste of money."

interesting info.

Could you provide the source via PM or by posting it ?

I have actually been using 1z Blitz for all of my microfibers. its cheap and you can get it in LARGE quantity's. 1 to 1.5 oz per load of towels (load size dependent). I have been recommended by a trustworthy retailer to use it and finally did. I'm very happy with it.

there's no such thing as a dedicated microfiber towel cleaner; and those who sell them are scaming you.

Not entirely... while I agree that the current assortment of 'dedicated' mf detergents don't seem to work any better than a standard laundry detergent that doesn't mean one couldn't be designed.

Look at it this way... at the store, when shopping for laundry soap how many varieties are there on the shelf? Dozens right? Color safe, HE, allergy friendly, tough stain, delicate wash, etc.... there are more varieties of detergent than there are of washing machines. These soaps are designed and tested to remove 'standard' things - stuff that one could reasonably expect to see on clothing in a wash.

Microfiber towels do get a very specific type of contamination. A mixture of polishing residues, waxes, polymers, and other things - many of which are designed to be detergent resistant and water repellent meaning they'll stand up to general use soaps better than other types of dirt more common for laundry (sweat, food, dirt, etc)

That being said if we were to design a MF detergent it wouldn't just be soap labeled "Micofiber Cleaner" we'd want something that actually targeted the types of contamination commonly seen on towels without damaging the fibers. This is a little more specific of a task.

As for other 'experts' making statements on products they don't sell... think about that for a second. Of course they're going to say that MF detergents are snake oil... they don't sell one!

This was taken from another site.It's quoted from someone that's in the MF manufacturing industry.

" So called dedicated microfiber cleaning products. There is nothing special about these products at all. They are simply shop degreasers with a coconut or other sudsing agent added. They do not clean any better than a good laundry detergent such as All, Era, Tide, etc. In fact, over time, their harsh degreasers will actually damage the fibers, both natural and artificial. There is no way any detergent can "know" what it's cleaning and to charge the public as much as five times the cost of laundry detergent is, in my opinion, an unnecessary waste of money."

Excellent honest post.

I hope Adam's doesn't fall for the "exclusive" microfiber towel cleaner horse dung.

I've been given near identical information as above from several credible folks in the detailing industry for a while now. There are two techs for Zaino & Megs who claim the very same thing as above.... that being, there's no such thing as a dedicated microfiber towel cleaner; and those who sell them are scaming you. In fact Chem Guys makes a dedicated microfiber wash cleaner and the general "detailing industry" consensus is that it's nothing more than a popular name-brand OTC detergent that has had a dye added to it to change it's appearence..... and they mark it up almost 600-percent; and make a killing! Yeah, says a lot about the company, right?

As long as you wash your towels seperatly [seperating the white towels from the colored ones], use a cold/cold wash cycle , a gentle rinse cycle followed by a second rinse, use a quality detergent, remove them immediately afterthe wash is complete and air/hang dry your towels, the longevity will amaze you.

Plus, Adam's already makes an excellent microfiber towel cleaner.... it's called APC. Generously spray your towels with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner [i'm using 50/50 diluted] prior to throwing them in the wash with some detergent and see how they come out. Try it if you think I'm kidding.

This is one product that I will absolutley refuse to buy.... even if it has the Adam's Premium Car Care label on it. No offence.

Just my opinion of course, but I hope this helped someone.

I've been using Woolite, and it's worked well for me. I mean, they're super clean, just not super duper white anymore, but I figure that's to be expected... how're things coming with the magical micro fibre detergents ?

Since around March when my son was born, I have been washing all my MF towels in his baby detergent (Dreft) with excellent results! I will be sticking with that for sure...leaves the towels rediculously soft and lint free and cleans very well.

Warm water, delicate cycle, small amount of Dreft, and add an extra rinse and spin. Then pop them in the dryer for a delicate, low heat tumble. Whola!

I can see it now - Adam's Super Duper Microfiber detergent - specifically formulated to remove all Adam's products and any automotive dirt or grime, AND it leaves your microfiber cloth as soft as a baby duck...

I was pretty impressed with the first go round of the MF cleaner Adams was testing.

It DEFINITELY needed tweaked because it wasn't heads and tails amazing. It NEEDS to be so before Adam will put HIS name on it.

For reference I've ALWAYS used the dye, perfume free stuff and it's worked great so I never saw the reason to change. I think the Adams product (when reformulated) will change my mind. We'll see!

Chris

I hope you guys don't give up on this - if nothing else, it helps with one stop shopping for your customers.

I bought some MF Rejuvenator from Chemical Guys (can I say that?) and it would be easier to buy a simialr product here.

I was pretty impressed with the first go round of the MF cleaner Adams was testing.

It DEFINITELY needed tweaked because it wasn't heads and tails amazing. It NEEDS to be so before Adam will put HIS name on it.

For reference I've ALWAYS used the dye, perfume free stuff and it's worked great so I never saw the reason to change. I think the Adams product (when reformulated) will change my mind. We'll see!

Chris

interesting info.

Could you provide the source via PM or by posting it ?

I have actually been using 1z Blitz for all of my microfibers. its cheap and you can get it in LARGE quantity's. 1 to 1.5 oz per load of towels (load size dependent). I have been recommended by a trustworthy retailer to use it and finally did. I'm very happy with it.

I'm actually not aware of a MF detergent thats heavy on scents... the reality is you want low dye, low perfume, and low anything that might clog up the towel. Thats a pretty specific type of detergent.

I'm fairly sure who the 'expert' your quoting is as I've seen similar posts around the web. What he neglects to pay attention to is the fact that even in just general laundry detergents theres a variety of choices dependent on the type of fabric you're cleaning. Ask your wife if its OK to toss her silk blouse in with the stuff you use to clean the bath towels too.

Different fabrics respond different ways to temperatures, types of soaps, etc. Microfiber is fairly forgiving, but using soaps heavy in dye, scent, or other things that could potentially clog up fibers will cause to be less absorbent, cause streaks, etc.

Also, keep in mind microfiber is contaminated with a unique combination of stuff. Polishes, waxes, oils, polymers, etc. These are contaminants that a standard laundry detergent isn't designed to clean. Just like Tide might make a few pre-treaters for specific stain types or detergents for hot or cold water use.... soaps that perform on certain stains better than others... a dedicated microfiber detergent would be geared towards cleaning the types of contamination found in a detailers towel.

I'm certain there might be a variety of cleaners out there that are nothing more than snakeoil, but the idea of a genuine dedicated microfiber cleaner is not.

:iagree:Probably right

Hey guys this is just a thought here but wanted to get yer feedback.......

ok , for those of you not hunters, they make a detergent (several actually) that is suppose to take away artificial sources of scents from your hunting clothes (such as fab softeners and detergents) ....... well my thinking was if its basically striping the fab softener & detergants from the machine so they not affect smell (so the deer can't track you) then shouldn't this work as well for the micro's in getting out the fab & detergents ???

IDK, just a thought

You can put APC in the washer machine. (I have). If i'm thinking correctly , most of them are degreaser and or citrus based. thats why there great cleaners.

Did anyone try a couple of glugs of APC in a bucket of water for a soak?

You can put APC in the washer machine. (I have). If i'm thinking correctly , most of them are degreaser and or citrus based. thats why there great cleaners. I usually add some (.5oz) to my wash towels if there white and stained.

This is why I was asking again. I have a little bit of restore left and was going to hold off on buying more depending on what Dylan had to say.

you can never have enough micro-restore. its good stuff.

not sure I would go a day without a dedicated Micro-fiber wash.

If Adams comes out with there's, you will likely hear before hand while its being tested by some of the forum members.

Good to know Dylan, I was holding off on buying some MicroRestore until I heard more about what Adam had cooking up in his basement. Suppose its time to pull that trigger.

BTW this will be the first time I buy a product for my truck not from Adam's in over a year :(

This is why I was asking again. I have a little bit of restore left and was going to hold off on buying more depending on what Dylan had to say.

Good to know Dylan, I was holding off on buying some MicroRestore until I heard more about what Adam had cooking up in his basement. Suppose its time to pull that trigger.

BTW this will be the first time I buy a product for my truck not from Adam's in over a year :(

Archived