Customer Service 866.965.0400

Side By Side: PC vs Flex w/ new SSR

Team Adam's

Question

A huge thanks to Ryan for taking some great video for me to edit... enjoy guys:

<object width="595" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Full Screen HD Mode? Click Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI

That's pretty cool so it was significantly less time with the flex?

My camaro paint is still in decent shape for only being hand polished... So, I'm thinking I'll be safe with the PC...

Once I'm comfortable with that, The wife Tahoe is in pretty bad shape....Maybe that will be a good project for trying the flex.....

You guys are draining my camaro mod budget.....

:lolsmack:

Furthering my manual digging labor premise.... you could always go to home depot and hire some guys in the parking lot very cheap (sandpaper) and let them do the bulk of the work... then come back with your shovel and refine what they did.

Aren't analogies fun :jester:

So are you saying you hang out at Home Depot and are for Hire?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Everyone has their own way of applying polish to the pad, some guys even massage polish into the pad prior to polishing. I use the X method to get polish across the whole pad for the first pass with the pad, then I use the pea sized dots in the areas of the pad that still don't have any polish. Everyone has their own style, there is no right or wrong way to put polish on a pad. However you still have to be careful not to use too much product and clog up the cells in the pad.

Thanks Dylan,

It makes more sense to me that way, while it may be "possible" to fix things with a PC, it would probably be more appropriate to use the flex in certain situations, a lot less time consuming, and alot less product used. The key is knowing, LOL ain't that the truth.

One thing is for sure, learning more everyday. I really do appreciate the info.

That's pretty cool so it was significantly less time with the flex?

My camaro paint is still in decent shape for only being hand polished... So, I'm thinking I'll be safe with the PC...

Once I'm comfortable with that, The wife Tahoe is in pretty bad shape....Maybe that will be a good project for trying the flex.....

You guys are draining my camaro mod budget.....

:lolsmack:

Yea the flex is much quicker at correction, it's more of a luxury polisher than a necessity unless your dealing with some really hammered paint. In my case I do other peoples vehicles for fun, so trying to correct destroyed paint with a pc can take days.. The flex let's me accomplish the task in roughy half the time. With the addition of the SSR and the green pad + the flex, I finished the polishing in about 4.5hrs on that hammered gigantic tahoe. Total time spent wash to wax was around 6 hours with all the trim and whatnot.

Great video! :2thumbs:

Seriously thinking about getting the flex instead of the PC to begin with, then maybe buy the PC later on :)

If you can only get one I would get the flex, I got the pc before pads were available for the flex and I wish I could have gotten the flex. I am satisfied with my pc but just wish it worked faster because as Ryan said if you're correcting the paint on a big SUV or even a big 4 door car it can literally take days if you eat or sleep lol.

Seriously thinking about getting the flex instead of the PC to begin with, then maybe buy the PC later on :)

Have you thought of getting a PC and using a rotary drill / smaller pad for deeper scratched areas? Adam's video on the Ferrari he used that method with great results.

If it is a newer car and finish, or a great finish to begin with that you like to keep that way, I would think the PC would be the tool of choice. Otherwise, theoretically, you are wearing off more clear each time you use the Flex.

I just got the flex and used it today :D... it really does do the job faster then the pc. But one thing I would suggest is to get the pc first... The noticable difference between the flex and pc is that the flex does not slow down when you push on it. Therefore I would recommend buying the pc first, so when you get on corners or edges, you wont remove the clear coat. The pc will slow down or stop on corners or edges, so it "teaches you" to let off the pc to allow for the pad to spin again. By learning how to use the pc correctly, it prepares you for the flex. After using the pc enough it almost becomes second nature to take pressure off the pc when going over corners or edges. Therefore it sets you up for future use of the flex... Because if you were to go over an edge without backing off the pressure with the flex, you could take the clear off vary quickly on that edge or corner. I bought the pc first and used it a lot before taking the plunge to the flex. When I was using the flex today, I found myself automatically taking pressure off the flex everytime I would come to an area that the pc would normally slow down or stop at. By using the pc first, it trained me on how to properly polish corners and edges. Therefore when it came time to use the flex, I was able to tackle these areas without any fear of removing the clear coat.

I apologize for length and high jacking the threat guys... and I hope this helps with anyones decision on which to buy first!

ps, this video is what made me go buy the flex!!!!!

I just got the flex and used it today :D... it really does do the job faster then the pc. But one thing I would suggest is to get the pc first... The noticable difference between the flex and pc is that the flex does not slow down when you push on it. Therefore I would recommend buying the pc first, so when you get on corners or edges, you wont remove the clear coat. The pc will slow down or stop on corners or edges, so it "teaches you" to let off the pc to allow for the pad to spin again. By learning how to use the pc correctly, it prepares you for the flex. After using the pc enough it almost becomes second nature to take pressure off the pc when going over corners or edges. Therefore it sets you up for future use of the flex... Because if you were to go over an edge without backing off the pressure with the flex, you could take the clear off vary quickly on that edge or corner. I bought the pc first and used it a lot before taking the plunge to the flex. When I was using the flex today, I found myself automatically taking pressure off the flex everytime I would come to an area that the pc would normally slow down or stop at. By using the pc first, it trained me on how to properly polish corners and edges. Therefore when it came time to use the flex, I was able to tackle these areas without any fear of removing the clear coat.

I apologize for length and high jacking the threat guys... and I hope this helps with anyones decision on which to buy first!

ps, this video is what made me go buy the flex!!!!!

That is exactly why I haven't yet bought a Flex! :cheers:

John,

Thing to understand it that the PC doesn't stop working once the paint is at a certain spot, every pass removes a microscopic layer of clear, whether its the first, 2nd, 10th, or 100th pass... it just becomes a matter of how long it would take to remove a defect and is it reasonable to do it with a machine like the PC.

I just responded to an email with a similar question - look at it this way:

If you were going to put a pool in your backyard and you had to dig the hole 25ft x 10ft and 6ft deep yourself theres a few options. You could use a hand trowel (PC) a shovel (flex) or a backhoe (rotary).

Eventually you could dig that huge hole with a hand trowel, but it would take you forever... the shovel is doable, but again... gonna take some time. The backhoe is the fastest way to go, but unless you know how to use it you run the risk of accidentally knocking your house over and hitting a gas or water line.

Now if you're digging holes to plant shrubs (remove some swirls) the hand trowel (PC) is a much better choice than the backhoe.

That scratch would likely come out eventually with the PC, the number of passes it would take would be HUGE, but it would eventually come out. You could literally polish out any defect with the PC, you could even remove all the paint if you were determined enough, but the timeframe for doing that would be unreasonable.

Been away for a while and just saw this analogy.

Great way to put it, Dylan! Excellent post! :2thumbs:

Archived