Customer Service 866.965.0400

Side By Side: PC vs Flex w/ new SSR

Team Adam's

Question

A huge thanks to Ryan for taking some great video for me to edit... enjoy guys:

<object width="595" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Full Screen HD Mode? Click Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8mA4vbgoI

last time i used it, i used mequiars NXT 2.0 and it came out like glass. only bad thing was i didnt tape off my plastic. i use it with mequiars swirl x to take out scratches mostly. i know you disagree with it but it worked and at the time 30 bucks for a 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander seemed like a deal.

I would say if you are that comfortable with a rotary, then go for the PC. You will use the PC 80-90% of the time, and the rotary on very severe scratches and swirls.

great video ryan! it looks like the flex is just a lot simpler to use because you can set the speed and just use the finger lever to adjust your speed when you are applying the product then go to town.

i know a bit off the topic but only thing i have in question is that the rotary buffer i have, i use wax for and there are no pads with the flex for applying wax. is there a reason there isnt?

Covered it in a couple of other threads... the flex just isn't good for applying MSW, but if you were going to do it anyways we'd recommend the gray PC pad... don't need a separate one for the flex.

We tested a ton, and most specifically on black, the uneven way MSW spread on the flex left the finish looking blotchy. We really didn't want to set customers up for failure by offering a pad for a product that we felt didn't perform as intended on the flex.

i thought i saw it somewhere i just couldnt remember exactly. i figured as much, if i were to get it i guess maybe id stay with my rotary and just use some buttery wax...not sure if that would work though(buttery wax under americanan). there are just so many different processes/combo's that can be used all over. IMO just to get that little bit more of correction, its hard to justify buying a flex and not having something to apply wax with. great product without a doubt and this shows that, but if you keep up with a vehicle's paint correction, you shouldnt need the flex.

again great video, really shows the greatness of the flex for correcting destroyed paint.

i thought i saw it somewhere i just couldnt remember exactly. i figured as much, if i were to get it i guess maybe id stay with my rotary and just use some buttery wax...not sure if that would work though(buttery wax under americanan). there are just so many different processes/combo's that can be used all over. IMO just to get that little bit more of correction, its hard to justify buying a flex and not having something to apply wax with. great product without a doubt and this shows that, but if you keep up with a vehicle's paint correction, you shouldnt need the flex.

again great video, really shows the greatness of the flex for correcting destroyed paint.

Why apply wax with a rotary at all?? Really an unnecessary complication for something you can do by hand. MSW requires the use of a DA simply b/c its difficult to spread evenly by hand... other than that theres really no reason to do your LSP's with a machine, especially a rotary.

last time i used it, i used mequiars NXT 2.0 and it came out like glass. only bad thing was i didnt tape off my plastic. i use it with mequiars swirl x to take out scratches mostly. i know you disagree with it but it worked and at the time 30 bucks for a 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander seemed like a deal.

I would say if you are that comfortable with a rotary, then go for the PC. You will use the PC 80-90% of the time, and the rotary on very severe scratches and swirls.

yeah i figured that. im going to try to see if there are any adaptors for it so i can run the pads for the flex, i doubt it though since the pads are 7 inches on the rotary i have.

sorry for derailing this thread guys.

Ryan,

The scratch on the PC side, you said it went all the way across and the flex appeared to take it out. Is that because the flex is a more "powerful" ( for lack of a better term) machine? Do you think if you would have kept going over with the PC that it would have came out like the flex.

My question is based on the flex being able to do things that the PC just can't? Or can the PC do the same thing just that it may take more time to do it in, based on what you saw working that panel?

The reason I am asking is that sometimes we may have a "stubburn " spot that the PC seems to be struggling with, would it be wise to just break out the flex and take care of it, so to speak, or is that a dangerous way to go at it since the flex is more" powerful"?

Thanks

John,

Thing to understand it that the PC doesn't stop working once the paint is at a certain spot, every pass removes a microscopic layer of clear, whether its the first, 2nd, 10th, or 100th pass... it just becomes a matter of how long it would take to remove a defect and is it reasonable to do it with a machine like the PC.

I just responded to an email with a similar question - look at it this way:

If you were going to put a pool in your backyard and you had to dig the hole 25ft x 10ft and 6ft deep yourself theres a few options. You could use a hand trowel (PC) a shovel (flex) or a backhoe (rotary).

Eventually you could dig that huge hole with a hand trowel, but it would take you forever... the shovel is doable, but again... gonna take some time. The backhoe is the fastest way to go, but unless you know how to use it you run the risk of accidentally knocking your house over and hitting a gas or water line.

Now if you're digging holes to plant shrubs (remove some swirls) the hand trowel (PC) is a much better choice than the backhoe.

That scratch would likely come out eventually with the PC, the number of passes it would take would be HUGE, but it would eventually come out. You could literally polish out any defect with the PC, you could even remove all the paint if you were determined enough, but the timeframe for doing that would be unreasonable.

Furthering my manual digging labor premise.... you could always go to home depot and hire some guys in the parking lot very cheap (sandpaper) and let them do the bulk of the work. The problem is they'er unskilled labor and the work done will be very rough. It would require you to then come back with your shovel and refine what they did.

Aren't analogies fun :jester:

Archived