Customer Service 866.965.0400

Top Gear USA

whiterp199

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing I just thought of that isn't right with the show. What's up with them using a Suzuki for the celebrity car? They should have gone with something that's American. At least use a Ford Fiesta if they had to go the hatchback route. But they should have gotten something with American flavor that when you look at it you know it's American. Like how the Australian version uses a Ute. When you see video of the Ute going around the track, there's no question which version you're watching.

Now the question is, what car would work best for this? Something like a vette or mustang is out since they have too much performance for the segment. Maybe something like an F-150 or a Jeep.

The UK version uses a suzuki don't they?? Thats probably why... the lack of creativity by the people producing this show is rampant.

If they were to use an american car I think the Fiesta or Focus, Chevy Aveo or the new Cruze would be good choices.

The UK version uses a suzuki don't they?? Thats probably why... the lack of creativity by the people producing this show is rampant.

They used a Suzuki until 2005. Then a Chevrolet Lacetti until last season when they switched to a Kia Cee'd. So nothing British. But really, what reasonably priced British made car is there that'll actually be able to complete a lap without breaking down? :jester::uk:

Give them a few episodes to get on their feet and a feel for the whole thing.

The original episodes of the US versions of Three's Company and All in the Family were virtual carbon copies of the British origianls as well. (Yes I am THAT old)

Pretty hard to decide you are going to make a US version of another country's show and NOT immitate in large part. Otherwise, why make a US version to begin with?

First episode was what I expected. Lots of nice cars, horrible copy-cat script with no energy between the hosts.

Hopefully they try to develop their OWN show (first thing would be to change the name and intro music) and the hosts either get replaced or develop a rhythm.

The original is still by far the best, i can't wait until next season to see what they have to say about this. lol

I found the show to be somewhat entertaining, and i think i will keep on watching it. The census seems to be, that they are trying to copy the uk version, but why wouldnt they? The is a successful formula and has grabbed millions of viewers. I just hope as the episodes grow, their onscreen chemistry grows as well....

I found the show to be somewhat entertaining, and i think i will keep on watching it. The census seems to be, that they are trying to copy the uk version, but why wouldnt they? The is a successful formula and has grabbed millions of viewers. I just hope as the episodes grow, their onscreen chemistry grows as well....

Well, copying the formula is expected and what they did with the Aussie version. This episode they were directly copying the UK show itself, not just the formula.

The chemistry will hopefully get better. The guys might not have the chops for the format though. They weren't funny at all and were really flat compared to the other hosts. Adam also needs a really big crash course in cars or they better limit how much he gets to talk. His lap commentary was dreadful.

Guest Luke Warmwater

Must have the same writers they had on Speed's other show with Tanner, Battle of the Supercars. Every other line that came out of Paul Tracy's mouth was how he was going to punch Tanner in the mouth. Had to be the worst writing for a car show ever just horrible! Surely, Speed can produce something with a little more quality script than these sorry excuses?

Episode 2 was another let down... the Aston Martin segment was beautifully shot, and there were a few chuckles from watching the blind guy powerslide into the parking space, but the Evo segment was horrible.

TGUK gets away with that kind of race, and somehow they don't make it feel staged to be close. (Ref. Fiat500 vs. bikes in Budapest) I mean, in the UK version you know some of those races are fudged to add excitement, but the skiers jumping the car at the perfect moment and running all goofy style up just moments too late just all feels far too staged. I think its largely in part to Faust's almost robotic/cue-card delivery. Hes a great driver, terrible host.

I find myself also annoyed they couldn't come up with their own version of 'The Stig'.... I mean at least put the guy in a black racing suit and helmet and give him a different name. I hope they don't pay the writers on this show much.

Episode 2 definitely better than episode 1, but thats not saying much.

Guess I come from a different POV here.

I can't stand the idiots on the UK Version. Well, the main guy is okay enough, but the other two "hosts" are horrible.

I think the three, or at least, the chubbster in glasses, and the imitiation Italian guy are good. The skinny little "driving purist" annoys.

I have yet to watch the second episode, Sun PM is crammed with Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead. I did however, view the first. I thought the Lambo scene was fantastic! I agree with the Stig part, but when they did create a new character for that, he would forever be compared to said Stig. The Viper part was only okay to me. The idea seemed great but the execution of the "skit" didn't play off that great on screen.

I will full on give the whole season a chance. I realize the writers are new to the US side of things, and again, fan voicing I am sure will have a big say if/how the show progresses.

Did I see something on the Premiere Episode that just made me say, "I'd take THAT over a ZR-1 or Z-06, hands down." ??????

NO. Then again, imo, there's not a sexier car on the road.

TGUK gets away with that kind of race, and somehow they don't make it feel staged to be close. (Ref. Fiat500 vs. bikes in Budapest) I mean, in the UK version you know some of those races are fudged to add excitement, but the skiers jumping the car at the perfect moment and running all goofy style up just moments too late just all feels far too staged. I think its largely in part to Faust's almost robotic/cue-card delivery. Hes a great driver, terrible host.

That segment to me seemed like a copy from episode 5 of last season when Hammond raced the Dakar Rally Touareg against two snowmobiles down a mountain in Sweden. It was the first thing I thought of when they started it. Tanner was really flat in the copy of it. They should have made him the Stig instead of a host. His personality fits it better.

If you guys haven't caught TGUK 15.5 that had the Touareg you really should try to watch it. It was an great episode. In addition to the Touareg segment, it had Veyron SS speed record, Tom Cruise almost rolling the reasonably priced car, and an amazing tribute to Ayrton Senna. It was a really good hour.

Just re-watched the American road trip episode of the UK version last night (not the Vette, Challenger, CTSV one. The $1000 car, 4 state, almost killed by rednecks in Alabama, episode) and it reminded me of the biggest difference....

the humor.

A lot of what makes TGUK funny is the improv, banter, and things like that. You can tell its not scripted when they're giving each other a hard time. Every line of the US version so far has seemed forced, read, or just uncomfortable. Maybe a few more episodes in it won't feel like they're reading their lines while they stare into a camera.

I agree as well with most of the comments. Too much like the British TG and not NEARLY enough people in the hanger when they're doing their bits in there. I chock this up to it being a new show though.

I also believe that they went into this thinking most people haven't seen the Beebs version of it. I personally know people that haven't seen it because they have cable and it isn't available. I imagine it'd be MUCH better for those people. I do agree that it DID come across VERY scripted.

I'm going to give it time... I watch them when I'm on the treadmill and being a hardcore car guy, I'll watch it. It's too soon to write them off.

I believe you won't see a change until the next season. Hopefully they'll read the forums, youtube comments and what ever else and make tweaks. I'm sure these were all done in a couple of months time.

Chris

After watching the episode from Monday night, I'm officially done with TG US. I can't believe I wasted my time watching this week after last week. I'll never get that time back. :(

I am glad I did not waste my time with episode 2. The first one sucked sooo bad. TGUK rocks. I saw it in the UK before we had it here. I was so thrilled to have it here but the US one sucks.

Archived