Customer Service 866.965.0400

A little help please!

Big Mac

Question

I'm planning on polishing my truck this month. I need to SHR,FMP,and MSW the whole truck except for one of the panels that was re-painted about 4 months ago. My question is what the experts do on the freshly painted section. Do I use the FMP, or just the MSW on that section?

13 answers to this question

Is it scratched or swirled up at all?

I dont think it would hurt to hit it with FMP and then MSW.

I used SHR on mine 3 months after one of the panels being repainted. The body shop told me 30 days, the guys on here told me 60 days so I waited 90 days and then did a full detail on the paint.

Does the vehicle sit in the sun much or is it garage kept?

After a re-paint the area is wet sanded, cut and buffed. You can polish it if you feel the need, just don't apply any wax or sealant. The fresh paint needs to "gas off" its solvents unless it was baked on. Depending on weather: temp and humidity it could take up to six months for the paint to cure properly.

After a re-paint the area is wet sanded, cut and buffed. You can polish it if you feel the need, just don't apply any wax or sealant. The fresh paint needs to "gas off" its solvents unless it was baked on. Depending on weather: temp and humidity it could take up to six months for the paint to cure properly.

The only place that paint is baked at a high enough temperature and long enough to cure immediately is at the factory. ANY aftermarket paint job will always need time to cure. The cure time depends on the temperatures and humidity levels where you live. The safe bet is to always wait 90 days for the paint to cure DO NOT apply any type of wax during this cure time, ESPECIALLY MSW. You also have to be very careful as to what polishes that you use on the paint during this time. Not all polishes are safe to use.

Thanks for the time guys! The paint shop said I was good to go after 90 days. Should I just ButterWax that panel to be on the safe side? The winters aren't too rough in SoCal.

What part of "DO NOT APPLY WAX FOR 90 DAYS" are you not understanding??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you want to have to pay someone to paint that panel again, put wax on it. If you want to follow some good advice from those who know, LEAVE IT ALONE. Pitting wax or sealant on fresh paint will cause the paint to blister and require a repainting of that area. It's your money!

If you wait the required 90 days you will not have any problems correcting any issues you might have, especially if it isn't a DD. Mine was not any problem at all beside the paint shop imperfections. I did have to clay it really good to make it baby buttom smooth but that was all. I put nothing on mine except adams wash. for at least 90 days.

Jef. I have detailed cars that have had one or two panels painted and for the sake of making the car look good I used the normal process and just used Brilliant Glaze on the freshly painted surfaces only. BSG is safe for the new paint. This gave the car a uniform look however; the BSG has no protective properties. This seemed to work for me and the customers were satisfied. Once the paint has fully cured give them a polish and wax coat. Hope this helps.

Archived