Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pads and backing plate

Don_Rome

Question

I just bought a 7" Craftsman dual action buffer and used it on my car with some Meguiars cleaner wax, and it did a nice job removing the fine scratches. I know it's not as good as a Porter Cable and Adam's products, but it's all I could afford. It has a pad attached to it and uses an elastic bonnet, so I want to know if there's a backing plate and pads with velcro that will fit this buffer.

20 answers to this question

Don,

While you are entitled to your opinion I'll beg to differ here... Our polishes are all diminishing abrasives, as such the ACTUALLY DO work by being broken down. Without sufficient speed to break the product down appropriately the products will not perform as intended. Ask any number of forum members how polishing at low speeds, even with the PC has panned out for them.

Many people have made the mistake of attempting to polish at a speed setting of 3 or 4 on the PC and ended up with marred or hazed finishes.

Also feel free to consult any number of people who attempted hand polishing prior to graduating to machine polishing.... your hand can't possibly replicate the speed needed to properly work the polish. Can you see an improvement? YES... but it won't be near whats possible if the product is worked properly.

Not trying to be contrary, and I can understand trying to use what you already have on hand, but the simple fact is you won't see the results as intended and we'd hate for our products to be a source of frustration for you.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

If you honestly think that polisher is effective, why not put your paint to the test with the "flash test", especially with that minivan. Let's see what your paint honestly looks like as the flash test never lies.

slo-cut4.jpg

slo-cut5.jpg

I just polished my car with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and that stuff is amazing. Plus it works fantastic with the 3800 OPS buffer and a 7" pad. For you doubters it can also be used by hand so it cuts at any speed. The paint looks like new again, and it's totally scratch free now. I then topped it off with a coat of Gold Class wax to give it a great shine.

"Meguiars cleaner wax" was the product mentioned... a wax has no correcting ability... and when used with the craftsman orbital hes referencing it was either a terry or mf bonnet, neither of which is going to have any real cutting ability.

:iagree:

That thing is a wax spreader no matter what you put on the pad. It does not correct paint, it merely tickles it, and it doesn't do a good job at that.

umm dylan,, (I NOT TAKING SIDES) but i think he is comparing his results that he has had in past with other products

"Meguiars cleaner wax" was the product mentioned... a wax has no correcting ability... and when used with the craftsman orbital hes referencing it was either a terry or mf bonnet, neither of which is going to have any real cutting ability.

umm dylan,, (I NOT TAKING SIDES) but i think he is comparing his results that he has had in past with other products (the 1000 grit compounds out there such as ma quires) and results. And basically seeking what he could add to his line without going the pc route....

Don most everyone you meet hear will be helpful, though you may have to reexplain things till they catch on... most all hear only speak of & use Adams polishes... so if you compare non-Adams products be as specific as possible to what you are seeking.....

Its written communication and can be taken wrong sometimes but i assure you everyone hear will offer the help they can.....but we generally don't get confrontational though competition is good......

& PS Dylan tends to know about Adams products as he is a Adam employee and product tester among other things

I have a 10' version of that type buffer, and only have ever seen bonnets.
10 feet? What do you buff with it? Cargo ships? Aircraft carriers?

Maybe that was the problem, it kept tipping the truck over!:willy:

I believe you can only change out the bonnets on that type buffer. I have a 10' version of that type buffer, and only have ever seen bonnets. It also called a 'wax spreader' as it doesn't have sufficient power for paint correction.

10 feet? What do you buff with it? Cargo ships? Aircraft carriers? :lolsmack:

I agree on the rest... A good product spreader and not much more.

Not sure what cleaner wax you used, but a lot of their over the counter products have fillers in them, so you think you have removed scratches when in fact they're filled in and smoothed over. Not saying this is the case with you but I used to fall into that trap before seeing the Adams light... lol

Remember that most, if not ALL of us have been there and done that. It's not a bad system, it's just not the best.

You'll find some pics in here of what I dealt with.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6403&highlight=correction

Chris

Don, sorry to say but that thing doesn't hold a candle to the PC or Flex.

I used the have a craftsman buffer like that, I just used it to apply waxes. Its so big and awkward to handle and the short cord is such a pain.

I use it now to polish diamond plate because I dont care if it gets torn up.

Also, I'd go with Dylan on this. He knows his stuff. These people that work for Adam's aren't just salesmen or women, they tell you what you need and why you need it. If you dont need something they will tell you so. They are not out to just get your money like other companies.

I am fairly new to machine polishing and I can say from what I've learned I would stand behind Dylan 100% on this one. Who would know the product better than the person who makes it? You dont call an electrician to fix your plumping do you?

Hand polishing can only fix so much because your hand can only go so fast. There are plenty of active threads right now that talk about this. If someone says they got their scratches out by hand they are ether full of crap or had next to nothing for scratches.

Lastly, I believe in your last post you are mistaking Pads for Polish. The aggressiveness of the PADS determines how much is removed.

Trust me I am more than familiar with how the products work Don, I'm the one developing and testing most of them. Your understanding of how a polish works seems to be anecdotal at best... if you wish to continue this conversation please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Seems to me that you are convinced you have it all figured out so my question remains unanswered... if your bonnet system and 10" sears buffer got the job done using a cleaner wax (won't even start to explain how that didn't possibly remove any swirl marks) is there a specific issue you're attempting to address with the macguyver swap to our backing plate and pads?

Then how come the paint finish wasn't marred or hazy looking after polishing my car? It was much shinier and swirl free when I was done. Sure a polish breaks down after it's been used, but at that point is does less polishing not more, which is why you have to add more polish to the pad as you move onto another area of the car.

Polish is just like sandpaper that breaks down after it's been used. When it no longer cuts the surface you have to get a new piece because the abrasive doesn't cut any more. An abrasive or polish will never cut more after it's used, it will always cut less the more you use it. It seems to me you don't know that basics of how your products work.

A polish works by removing a slight layer of paint, and the aggressiveness of the polish determines how much will be removed. The finer the polish the smoother the paint surface will be. Which is why you use a more aggressive polish first, then move onto a less aggressive or finer polish to finish it off. This is what gives the paint a brilliant shine, because it's free from scratches that don't allow the light to reflect off the surface.

A polish doesn't work by breaking down, it's a mild abrasive that removes a slight amount off the surface of the paint. So it will work at any speed, it just takes longer at a slower speed. Toothpaste is also a polish, but you don't need a toothbrush that goes faster than 3800 opms to clean your teeth.

Many people hand polish their car, but it's a lot of hard work and it takes longer. So that's why I bought a buffer and I got great results with it. I just want to put a better pad system on it, even thought you say it doesn't go fast enough.

Don,

While you are entitled to your opinion I'll beg to differ here... Our polishes are all diminishing abrasives, as such the ACTUALLY DO work by being broken down. Without sufficient speed to break the product down appropriately the products will not perform as intended. Ask any number of forum members how polishing at low speeds, even with the PC has panned out for them.

Many people have made the mistake of attempting to polish at a speed setting of 3 or 4 on the PC and ended up with marred or hazed finishes.

Also feel free to consult any number of people who attempted hand polishing prior to graduating to machine polishing.... your hand can't possibly replicate the speed needed to properly work the polish. Can you see an improvement? YES... but it won't be near whats possible if the product is worked properly.

Not trying to be contrary, and I can understand trying to use what you already have on hand, but the simple fact is you won't see the results as intended and we'd hate for our products to be a source of frustration for you.

Out of curiosity, what were you aiming to accomplish with the system? Reason I ask is you mentioned above the machines you have, using the bonnet and a cleaner wax removed the fine scratches from the finish of your cars - was there a specific type of defect you were hoping to address with our pads beyond what you're getting from the current setup?

It has plenty of power, it removed the fine scratches on my 2008 G8 and my wife's minivan which is a 2004 model with 80K miles on it, and neither one ever had ever been machine polished before.

A polish doesn't work by breaking down, it's a mild abrasive that removes a slight amount off the surface of the paint. So it will work at any speed, it just takes longer at a slower speed. Toothpaste is also a polish, but you don't need a toothbrush that goes faster than 3800 opms to clean your teeth.

Many people hand polish their car, but it's a lot of hard work and it takes longer. So that's why I bought a buffer and I got great results with it. I just want to put a better pad system on it, even thought you say it doesn't go fast enough.

Sorry Don, but that machine won't work with our backing plate/pad system.

Even if you could manage to rig it up to work the machine tops out at 3800opm without load... not nearly enough speed to properly break down our products.

I'd love to be able to tell you it'd work, but the fact is we don't want to set you up for failure. If you're really interested in getting into PC polishing but don't have the coin to do it right now, shop around for a used one... you can find them on ebay all the time.

I've also known a few customers to go in halves with a buddy... they both use the machine and they get their own set of pads/polish/towels. As long as you don't need to detail on the same weekend its not a half bad idea.

It has plenty of power, it removed the fine scratches on my 2008 G8 and my wife's minivan which is a 2004 model with 80K miles on it, and neither one ever had ever been machine polished before. The 10" Sears buffer has 2800 opms and my 7" Sears buffer has 3800 opms, so does more than spread the polish around.

The pad attaches with a screw that has a 9/16 or 14mm hex head, so the thread size is probably a 3/8 or 10mm diameter. The model I have is in the link below.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910721000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Added: What size is the screw in the Adam's backing plate that fits the PC in the link below? In the picture it looks like it's around 3/8"

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-337-adams-improved-da-velcro-backing-plate.aspx

I just bought a 7" Craftsman dual action buffer and used it on my car with some Meguiars cleaner wax, and it did a nice job removing the fine scratches. I know it's not as good as a Porter Cable and Adam's products, but it's all I could afford. It has a pad attached to it and uses an elastic bonnet, so I want to know if there's a backing plate and pads with velcro that will fit this buffer.

I believe you can only change out the bonnets on that type buffer. I have a 10' version of that type buffer, and only have ever seen bonnets. It also called a 'wax spreader' as it doesn't have sufficient power for paint correction.

Archived