Customer Service 866.965.0400

New paint help

jeast

Question

Hey guys it's been a long time I see some new products I'll have to pick up soon. Anyways I got into a car crash a few months ago and just today got it back and the body shop repanited the car and told me I could wax it right away and that they already "detailed" (more like detailed swirls in it) the car. The paint has been on the car for two weeks now. What do you guys think should I just listen to them or be safe and just wait like a month ?

10 answers to this question

Hey guys it's been a long time I see some new products I'll have to pick up soon. Anyways I got into a car crash a few months ago and just today got it back and the body shop repanited the car and told me I could wax it right away and that they already "detailed" (more like detailed swirls in it) the car. The paint has been on the car for two weeks now. What do you guys think should I just listen to them or be safe and just wait like a month ?

Sorry to hear about the accident Jared.

In most threads on here I have seen 60 to 90 days recommended before waxing, even longer for MSW. Polishing should be OK, but I think you may be advised to wait to polish as well.

Bummer! I was always told wait 60-90 days.

Maybe a new paint that cures faster? I DON'T KNOW! You would think that they would know what they were talking about, I would ask them again to be on the safe side!:xfingers:

Bummer! I was always told wait 60-90 days.

Maybe a new paint that cures faster? I DON'T KNOW! You would think that they would know what they were talking about, I would ask them again to be on the safe side!:xfingers:

Ohh I've asked them like a dozen times. They say that you don't have to wait with modern paint.. Idk if I belive them lol. 60 to 90 days seems sooo long I'm dying to put some Americana it it.

By waxing a new paint finish you are trapping the solvents that have not yet evaporated. Trapping the solvents can lead to blistering, referred to as "Solvent Popping" Although a paint finish may dry to the touch in a short time, the paint does not reach its complete hardness until all solvents have escaped.

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

Ask them if they used a water based paint, if yes then I believe you can apply a wax as they don't "Solvent Pop"

By waxing a new paint finish you are trapping the solvents that have not yet evaporated. Trapping the solvents can lead to blistering, referred to as "Solvent Popping" Although a paint finish may dry to the touch in a short time, the paint does not reach its complete hardness until all solvents have escaped.

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

the above is the correct advice for aftermarket paint and factory paint jobs..... i checked :lolsmack::lolsmack: i called my brother he's been a body & paint guy for years.

let it cure 90 days-been there-it is hard to wait that long but you can do it!

You should wait 90 days or 3 months to put wax on it.

I did the same thing this summer except I only waited 2 months because I let it bake in the hot sun everyday almost.

I wouldn't touch it with anything except Car Shampoo and Water.

The Painter and Owner of the Body Shop told me that I could take it home and do whatever I want to it because of whatever type of clear coat they put on it. But that sounded to good to be true.

Archived