Customer Service 866.965.0400

Simoniz GlassCoat

DGM

Question

Greetings,

I am a newbie. This is my first post so please be gentle. My life partner just purchased a 2010 Dark Gray Metallic Subaru Forester. The vehicle has 9600 miles on the OD and the finish appears to be in very good condition. Because we live only three blocks from the Pacific Ocean and the vehicle will be parked outside, the Subaru dealer convinced her to have them apply Simoniz GlassCoat. The dealer said that she/we would not have to wax the Forester for years and years. Knowing nothing about GlassCoat I checked the Simoniz website were I discovered that Simoniz said that one could wax over GlassCoat if one so desired. Given that the vehicle will be exposed to "salt air", 365 days a year, my sense is that it might be prudent for us apply additional protection, such as Buttery or Americana wax. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether we should/could use Adam's products to further enhance/protect the finish on our "new" Forester.

Cheers,

Deral

A dealer offered you this? Sounds like snake oil to me. No offense.

But maybe Dylan could chime in, I dont live on the coast. I do know there is no 'cureall' one time boom boom to protect paint. Of course it can be waxed over, its gonna wash off in less than a year. Everything you need to protect the new Sooooooob is here.

:D

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

If it was me, I would clay & strip the Simoniz off and give her the full Adam's treatment, believe me it will be like night & day difference!:thumbsup: Your paint will pop!!

LOL. Since the Simoniz GlassCoat treatment cost over $500.00, I do not think that my "partner" will be very keen on stripping the GlassCoat off. Finding "reviews" of GlassCoat on the web was (for me anyway) difficult. About half said that it is a way for dealers to make a "huge" profit and the other half said that the GlassCoat *did* provide an excellent "hard"/"long-lasting" layer of protection (to the Subaru which supposedly has relatively "soft" OEM paint). After much research I have decided that Adam's products are what I want to use on our Forester. Her previous Subaru, purchased new in 1991, lasted for 20 years. We hope to make our new (2010) Forester last for the next 20 years hence I want to use only the highest quality (Adam's) products on it.

Deral

I think the dealer just suckered her into the simonizglass coat! Beware of dealers, they will try and sell everyone something thats 3x more expensive then a private shop.

For instence, when i bought my Gencoupe, i wanted 3m tape done. My dealer wanted $450, i found a reputable guy to do it for $250.

I've never heard of a wax thats good for years! Give it a dawn wash, clay, SHR, FMP and your choice of wax.

Hope this helps

A lot of these types of dealer up-sell items are GREATLY over exaggerated as far as how long they will actually last, but thats another discussion all together.

To answer your question, yes you can wax over the top of the 'glasscoat' its really nothing more than a basic paint sealant and as such you can wax over the top of it, and honestly given that you'll have the car exposed to salt laden air its in your best interest to wax regularly to add more protection to the finish.

No clay or polishing for you though... either of those processes will strip that sealant and you'll have flushed that $500 away.

Chris,

I tend to agree with you. The 1991 Subaru died suddenly and my partner needs dependable transportation hence we had little/no time to do research on the Simoniz GlassCoat. After trying to (after the fact) do research I decided that we should probably start working on protecting the finish of the new Forester (in addition to the GlassCoat). We are senior citizens and this will probably be our last vehicle hence I want to do everything possible to keep it running/looking great. The GlassCoat is some kind of a polymer (I think) coating. Will Adam's waxes adhere okay? Thanks in advance.

Deral

Chris,

I tend to agree with you. The 1991 Subaru died suddenly and my partner needs dependable transportation hence we had little/no time to do research on the Simoniz GlassCoat. After trying to (after the fact) do research I decided that we should probably start working on protecting the finish of the new Forester (in addition to the GlassCoat). We are senior citizens and this will probably be our last vehicle hence I want to do everything possible to keep it running/looking great. The GlassCoat is some kind of a polymer (I think) coating. Will Adam's waxes adhere okay? Thanks in advance.

Deral

Yes they will!:thumbsup:

Hi Deral,

I haven't had any experience with the Simonize Glasscoat, but I have seen something similar called CQuartz. I doubt very seriously what they have put on your car will last for years and years. The CQuartz I mention is a nano coating in that it binds with the clear coat and/or paint to fill in the micro pits and thus giving an even coat. In addition it does give some protection against scratching. With that said, it will only last for 6 months at most. It costs about $75 to $100 max for one supply. In my opinion anyone who does not do offroading will not get their money worth out of the application. I've been using Adam's for about 6 years now and the paint on my 2005 Vette looks as new as the day I drove it off the lot. If you want to get the most out of your paint, watch the Junkman's videos. Wash it properly and keep a good layer of Americana on it at all times. You can't go wrong maintaining your paint. I would not say you got ripped off, you just paid a premium for the dealer installing the product. It's like saying the rubber gasket that will stop your toilet from leaking only cost $3 but the plumber charged you $75 to install it. That is fine, because it stopped the leak and I don't know how to install it myself. You will get some benefit from it but not what they claim. Join the club and start your voyage into the Adam's addiction. I've tried everything under the sun from $2,000 jars of wax to over the counter stuff and I can honestly say Adam's is the best I have ever used and the company and staff are top notch. Enjoy the new ride!!!

Edited by floraneg

The Adams wax will adhere fine over top of it. If you do not keep putting coats of wax over it it will most likely be gone in 6 months or so. My mom would not listen to me when she bought her Tribeca. I told her the paint protection from the dealer was probably over priced. After she got it home I convinced her to let me strip the dealer installed protection off of half of her hood and put on a coat of americana. Her car sits inside most of the time. I then left her car alone for about three months until one day she asked me after having her car parked at the grocery store in the rain why half her hood had beads of water and the rest did not. I told her that was where I applied the americana. After that she had me strip her whole car and go with a coat of Machine Super Wax. I do this every June or so and her car still beads and looks good the following June. Also her car stays inside and only sees about 10,000 miles a year mostly on nice days. I am not saying you would have the same results but a coat over the simoneze every few months or will keep a good layer of protection on there. I can tell you the clearcoat on her last two Subaru's was very easy to polish out.

Hi Deral,

I haven't had any experience with the Simonize Glasscoat, but I have seen something similar called CQuartz. I doubt very seriously what they have put on your car will last for years and years. The CQuartz I mention is a nano coating in that it binds with the clear coat and/or paint to fill in the micro pits and thus giving an even coat. In addition it does give some protection against scratching. With that said, it will only last for 6 months at most. It costs about $75 to $100 max for one supply. In my opinion anyone who does not do offroading will not get their money worth out of the application. I've been using Adam's for about 6 years now and the paint on my 2005 Vette looks as new as the day I drove it off the lot. If you want to get the most out of your paint, watch the Junkman's videos. Wash it properly and keep a good layer of Americana on it at all times. You can't go wrong maintaining your paint. I would not say you got ripped off, you just paid a premium for the dealer installing the product. It's like saying the rubber gasket that will stop your toilet from leaking only cost $3 but the plumber charged you $75 to install it. That is fine, because it stopped the leak and I don't know how to install it myself. You will get some benefit from it but not what they claim. Join the club and start your voyage into the Adam's addiction. I've tried everything under the sun from $2,000 jars of wax to over the counter stuff and I can honestly say Adam's is the best I have ever used and the company and staff are top notch. Enjoy the new ride!!!

:iagree: with George!

Proper washing using the 2 bucket method with Adam's wash shampoo will be a great start to keeping the finish looking nice. Top that with American Paste Wax every 3 months or so, and paint will remain protected. 20 years on this Subi with no problem!

A lot of these types of dealer up-sell items are GREATLY over exaggerated as far as how long they will actually last, but thats another discussion all together.

To answer your question, yes you can wax over the top of the 'glasscoat' its really nothing more than a basic paint sealant and as such you can wax over the top of it, and honestly given that you'll have the car exposed to salt laden air its in your best interest to wax regularly to add more protection to the finish.

No clay or polishing for you though... either of those processes will strip that sealant and you'll have flushed that $500 away.

:iagree:100%

I think the dealer just suckered her into the simonizglass coat! Beware of dealers, they will try and sell everyone something thats 3x more expensive then a private shop.

For instence, when i bought my Gencoupe, i wanted 3m tape done. My dealer wanted $450, i found a reputable guy to do it for $250.

I've never heard of a wax thats good for years! Give it a dawn wash, clay, SHR, FMP and your choice of wax.

Hope this helps

Thats why they call them STEALERSHIPS...Stay far away from them. :burnout:

just curious......20 years equals how many miles on the odometer??

Hope you enjoy your new ride !!:banana:

Her 1991 Legacy had ~120K on it. Given the ever increasing cost of gas I suspect we will be driving "less" rather than "more" in the future. :(

A lot of times these treatments are 'mis-represented'

An honest dealership will explain that they are applying a sealant to the finish for that money, the rest of the cost (on some, not all products) is like purchasing a warranty. You come back occasionally for a fresh application, if you ever get a bad etching or the paint fades its covered.

The problem is largely that some less than reputable dealers would rather bowl unsuspecting customers over with outlandish "IT LASTS FOREVER" type claims, neglecting to show them the fine print where it requires the customer to come back at regular intervals for upkeep.

Oh well, lesson learned... and lets not lump ALL dealerships into this category. While there are MANY less than reputable salespeople out there misrepresenting what these products are, there are good ones that explain what the product is and what it does in realistic terms.

A lot of times these treatments are 'mis-represented'

An honest dealership will explain that they are applying a sealant to the finish for that money, the rest of the cost (on some, not all products) is like purchasing a warranty. You come back occasionally for a fresh application, if you ever get a bad etching or the paint fades its covered.

The problem is largely that some less than reputable dealers would rather bowl unsuspecting customers over with outlandish "IT LASTS FOREVER" type claims, neglecting to show them the fine print where it requires the customer to come back at regular intervals for upkeep.

Oh well, lesson learned... and lets not lump ALL dealerships into this category. While there are MANY less than reputable salespeople out there misrepresenting what these products are, there are good ones that explain what the product is and what it does in realistic terms.

True... I suppose my post sounded a bit harsh on dealerships. Just my personal experience(s) coming out. :)

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful/informative responses to my query regarding Simoniz GlassCoat. It does come with either a 5 or 6 year (I forget which) "guarantee" but I am unsure as to how one would be able to "collect" on it. For sure I am going to apply Buttery or Americana Wax (my pocketbook says "Buttery", but my brain says "Americana").

Again, thanks:

Deral

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful/informative responses to my query regarding Simoniz GlassCoat. It does come with either a 5 or 6 year (I forget which) "guarantee" but I am unsure as to how one would be able to "collect" on it. For sure I am going to apply Buttery or Americana Wax (my pocketbook says "Buttery", but my brain says "Americana").

Again, thanks:

Deral

Either way you chose, it will not disappoint you :hi:

Not to be a downer, but I don't trust dealerships. I would question whether they even put the sealant on the car. One those things where they take your $500 and throw some spray wax on real quick to make it look decent.

I used to detail cars at a dealership and I know all about the "Special Sealant". Where I worked we sent the cars out to a place and they rust proofed them and put the sealant on. The sealant was some of the greasiest stuff I have dealt with. You couldn't even touch the paint without smudging it. My dealership charged $500 for a rustproof and sealant back in the 1990's. I'm glad I never have to deal with that stuff anymore.

Deral, my advice to you would be to start with the buttery then move up to the Americana. Keep an eye on the sealant and see how it holds up for a month or two before putting any Adam's wax on it. If it breaks down and won't bead water, take it back to the dealership and demand your money back. Then you can strip the sealant off and not feel guilty about spending the money on the sealant.

I used to detail cars at a dealership and I know all about the "Special Sealant". Where I worked we sent the cars out to a place and they rust proofed them and put the sealant on. The sealant was some of the greasiest stuff I have dealt with. You couldn't even touch the paint without smudging it. My dealership charged $500 for a rustproof and sealant back in the 1990's. I'm glad I never have to deal with that stuff anymore.

Deral, my advice to you would be to start with the buttery then move up to the Americana. Keep an eye on the sealant and see how it holds up for a month or two before putting any Adam's wax on it. If it breaks down and won't bead water, take it back to the dealership and demand your money back. Then you can strip the sealant off and not feel guilty about spending the money on the sealant.

Thank you for the excellent advice. Water does bead now (of course we have only had the car for three weeks) but it will be interesting to see how long it continues to bead.

We sell "glass coat" here, lol. The stuff is strange, comes basically in a vial. Read the fine print on the back of the Simonize agreement, thats all that really needs to be said. The way my F&I manager sells it is like a complete con. I would also bet that in most cases it's not being applied properly. These guys aren't claying down the entire car or anything like that, so in reality it's not being put onto contaminate free paint.