Customer Service 866.965.0400

Painted Wheels

musclejunkie

Question

Mustang006.jpg

:confused: I clayed and waxed my painted aluminum wheels and now I do not know how to clean them. If I use the green wheel cleaner, will I strip off the wax? These wheels are superb factory original equipment with the premium package. Dark Metallic grey with polished aluminum highlights...look even better in person, gorgeous wheels, but I just do not know what to use to properly care for them. Up to now, I have been using Adam's Shampoo and the boars hair or the fender brush and it works fine. I also tried the green wheel cleaner / boars hair, but not sure if it is safe for the painted wheel areas and if I'm stripping the wax off.

Thanks car care peeps (oops I meant afficianados).:bow:

11 answers to this question

Wheel cleaners will strip wax, but the heat will also break down the wax, so it isn't going to last super long on the wheels anyway. Waxing will help to be able to clean them easier but you'll need to re-apply frequently. The two-tone painted wheels on my Cayenne get washed at least once a week, sometimes more, and then get Revived and Waxed every other time or so.

- Darryl

Thanks a bunch! Sounds like shampoo, Revive and Americana is the ticket. Anyone want my green wheel cleaner? Hey just a thought....I'll save it for the exhaust. I don't think it hurts the wheel paint, but can't be good for wax. These wheels are the easiest wheels I have had to keep looking good. They must have used a miracle paint on them cause nothing seems to stick to them.

Will the heat from brakes really break down wax? The paint surface of a car sitting in the sun on a hot day seems to get hotter than the wheels after braking. At least on a street driven car.

I would treat them like your paint, keep them washed with Adam's Car Wash Shampoo, and keep them waxed. BTW I love that blue (Petty Blue):burnout::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kudos Chris. :D I like the color but it does show the dirt and dust almost as bad as black and white cars. Have you guys noticed how bad the tree pollen is this year? Insane!:mad: You can virtually see it in the air.

Thanks for the kudos Chris. :D I like the color but it does show the dirt and dust almost as bad as black and white cars. Have you guys noticed how bad the tree pollen is this year? Insane!:mad: You can virtually see it in the air.

Yes its bad here as well!:(

Will the heat from brakes really break down wax. The paint surface of a car sitting in the sun seems to get much hotter than the wheels after braking.

Go to the track and watch the cars as the brake rotors turn fire red after the turns. Ya wheels get really hot when you lean on the brakes.

Archived