Customer Service 866.965.0400

Caring for Factory Vinyl Stripes

Enjoy! I will continue to update this thread with relevant information as it becomes available. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to select the higher quality 720p option

Cautions, Watchouts, & 'Don't Do That!' Warnings:

• Never work on stripes while they are hot to the touch. If you've been driving or the car has been sitting in direct sun for an extended period of time allow a few minutes for them to cool down.
  • Never work across the edge of the stripes with polishes or waxes. Tape off edges if necessary, dressings on the other hand are OK as they do not build up along the edges.
  • Always test the process in a small area before proceeding to the rest of the stripe. No sense in doing the whole process if you're not sure you'll like the result.
  • Do not use heavy abrasives or aggressive polishing methods as they can damage the stripes beyond repair.
  • All the processes described in the video can be 'undone' if you are not satisfied with the results.

Wax/Polish Residue, Stains, or Stubborn Contamination on Matte Stripes:

• Start simple... Waterless Wash or Detail Spray and a microfiber towel are very mild and should be tried before anything else.
  • Brilliant Glaze rubbed into the problem area with a soft foam applicator will remove most natural wax contamination.
  • Brilliant Glaze will also work well on blotchy or streaked stripes.
  • For dried polishes and polymer reinforced wax contamination a diluted mixture of APC (1:1) sprayed onto a towel and used to scrub may work. AGAIN ONLY USE ON STRIPES THAT ARE COOL TO THE TOUCH!!
  • As a last resort diluted isopropyl alcohol can be used if nothing else removes the staining. Use cautiously and in moderation.

Scuffs, Scrapes, and Hard Water Spots:

• Use about a large quarter sized blob of Paint Finishing Polish or Revive on a blue foam hex grip polishing pad. Rub the polish into the stripe then remove excess residue with a plush microfiber towel.
  • Repeat the process as needed on more substantial damage. Use caution to not over polish and never use a heavily abrasive chemical or foam.
  • Super VRT dressing will mask most minor scuffs and scrapes that aren't removed by the polishing.

Info updated 2/28/2012 -

------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Data direct from 3M in regards to vehicle wraps and graphics:

Cleaning: Use a cleaner designed for high-quality painted surfaces. The cleaner must be wet, non-abrasive, without strong solvents, and have a pH value between 3 and 11 (neither strongly acidic nor strongly alkaline)

Additional Note from Tech Support: "The use of acidic or alkaline cleaners may be required to remove some types of stubborn contamination, but should be limited in use as repeated cleanings with such chemicals can result in drying of the material."

3M: Caring for Vinyl Vehicle Graphics

Most standard graphic films and overlaminates can be polished or waxed with a high quality car wax. Before use, test and approve in an inconspicuous area. Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.
For the carbon fiber and brushed metal films in Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080, a polishing product such as 3MTM Tire Restorer or Meguiars® Natural Shine Protectant may be used. We do not recommend any polishing or wax product for the matte or textured films.

Manufacture information from Ford/3M for those of you with Mustangs or other Ford products featuring vinyl graphics. This information applies to pretty much all factory vinyl, but its nice the people at ford have provided specifics on the subject:

Ford Custom Graphics - FAQ

What are the custom graphics for Ford made of?
A. Our graphics are made with 3M’s Scotchprint® Personalized Vehicle Graphic Film plus a clear graphic protection layer. Ford Custom Graphics is able to control quality by working directly with some of the best graphics manufacturers in the industry.

How do I care for my graphics once they are installed on my vehicle?
A. Hand washing of your vehicle and its graphics is recommended. Avoid abrasive materials, petroleum distillates (such as tar removers) and car washes that use brushes or high pressure. About 6 weeks after the graphics are applied you can use automotive wax over your vehicle, but avoid products designed for cleaning and waxing in a single step as they contain more solvents, which could affect the graphics.

Additional information from Oracal on their vinyl products:

Keep in mind that the recommendations from both the other manufactures (3M & Avery) specifically encourage the use of wax and/or sealants on their gloss materials to provide protection against fade, fallout, and damage. The majority of vehicle graphics provided to OEM are (to our knowledge) produced by 3M.

http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/prod-bulletins/practical_info_vinyl_vehicle_graphics.pdf

Information specific to fallout:
http://www.oracal.com/products/_docs/prod-bulletins/Fallout_Product_Bulletin.pdf

Suggestions for Vehicle Wrap Owners in this area:
  • Rinse the vehicle every morning to minimize deposits
  • Wash the vehicle at least once a week with a very mild soap. Ask wrap installers for a vehicle wrap care guide.
  • Use a Teflon type polish designed for vehicle wraps to help protect the surface and gloss.
  • Follow manufacturer’s directions and application frequencies.

Technical Data direct from Avery:

A mild soap and water combination is recommended for regular cleaning. Any soaps used should be liquid, non-abrasive, without strong solvents. It is also recommended that soaps with wax additives be avoided.

Cleaners heavy in petroleum distillates (bug & tar removers) should never be used to clean the material under any circumstances.

Quality vinyl protectants free of silicones can be used to address fading or spotting.

Edited by Nick@Adams

I thought AJ had the "comin' atcha" line trademarked though. :jester:

Thats my 'tip of the hat' to the one and only Junkman... I'm gonna trademark "this has been a honkey in his garage production" :lolsmack:

Nice video Dylan :thumbsup:

When are you going to have a daily special on those bionic high speed arms? :jester:

Bionic arms come with the epic beard mod... this things getting shaggy :jester:

I think SVRT is the best option IMO

I agree... but some people like them REALLY flat. This video and the info within is a culmination of doing various treatments on peoples cars at C5FII and other shows. Some people like the look of just straight FMP wiped down with DS, others like the way BG finishes (and its easy) and then theres a lot of us who like SVRT... I wanted to show all the options I've found to give people choices.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Now I can just copy/paste when that question comes up... which it does about a dozen times a day :jester:

Very nice Dylan.

Another WOW next to you're name.

Good stuff, helpful for so many with stripes.

What up with that big olé' TV in your carport? :2thumbs:

Does it have a bar also?

That TV just made its move to the garage... its about 6 years old and used to occupy a wall in my master bedroom. Got a new flat panel downstairs so the current main TV moved to the bedroom... this 42" plasma didn't have a home anymore so it was either my office or my garage. Figured I could put it in the garage and use it to watch baseball games while I detail on weekends or put on a music channel if nothing else. Still gotta run a fresh rg6 line to it and buy another directv box.

What self respecting man wouldn't jump on the chance to put a TV in the garage before his wife had a chance to veto the idea? :jester:

Great video Dylan! Makes me wish I had stripes to care for! :D

HAHAHAHA You DO NOT want vinyl stripes! I'm sure if you ask any of these people with them, if they had the choice, they would be painted on!

Dylan that TV is sickkkkkkkkk man! How did I not even remember or notice?

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Now I can just copy/paste when that question comes up... which it does about a dozen times a day :jester:

That TV just made its move to the garage... its about 6 years old and used to occupy a wall in my master bedroom. Got a new flat panel downstairs so the current main TV moved to the bedroom... this 42" plasma didn't have a home anymore so it was either my office or my garage. Figured I could put it in the garage and use it to watch baseball games while I detail on weekends or put on a music channel if nothing else. Still gotta run a fresh rg6 line to it and buy another directv box.

What self respecting man wouldn't jump on the chance to put a TV in the garage before his wife had a chance to veto the idea? :jester:

I have a TV also in my shop, just not one that fancy. :lolsmack:

I really love your vids dude. :rockon:

The strips looked amazing btw.

HAHAHAHA You DO NOT want vinyl stripes! I'm sure if you ask any of these people with them, if they had the choice, they would be painted on!

Dylan that TV is sickkkkkkkkk man! How did I not even remember or notice?

I would be concerned as to how long the strips would last but I would have them on a Camaro if I bought one, looks sharp.:thumbsup:

Hahaha, that was great. Love the end snip - "So whaddaya think?" Boioioioioing!

Regarding the TV, good move. Just do it. With the amount of time you are polishing on the cars, a TV makes sense. You can watch the Angels and apply Americana....

However, watching baseball may bring on a craving for hotdogs(w/mustard) and a couple cold ones. Next video will be 'how to remove mustard from your finish'.

I haven't been taping my stripes (Inferno Orange Metallic), but I also don't "cross" them (I do it parallel) when using Revive or BW. I checked for buildup and I gots none. :D

Yea, as long as your cautious its not an issue.

I had to cover that bit, b/c if I don't some ya-hoo would cake up 4lbs of polish against his stripes and blame me for not giving him the heads up.