Customer Service 866.965.0400

Caring for Factory Vinyl Stripes

• 1 month later...

I did this routine using Waterless Wash and sVRT. Yesterday, a seagull left a present on my rear stripe. It was really hot out and I didn't want to do anything with the car hot.

I drove it home and some of it slid off. I left my car in the garage for a bit, hit it with some waterless wash and goo was gone.

The VRT really makes the the stripes slick.

-EB

quick question...

i work at a ford dealership and just sold a 2012 mustang gt (black with silver stripes)...gentleman that just got back from Afgahnistan purchased it:patriot:...after i brought the car to get cleaned for delivery, when they brought it back, it had a scratch on the trunk and there were what looked like brown spots on the stripes (couldn't get pics)...now he was in a hurry to get back home becuz he left his welcome home party to come pick up the car...so we said he could bring it back tomorrow (which is today) and we would fix it...

fast forward to today...

the car comes back, and the scratch on the trunk is gone...(well, "covered up") but the spots still remained on the stripes (of course) and my manager thought it was ok to lick his thumb and rub it on the stripes to see if ti will come off (while the customer is standing there mind you)...the stripes have a metallic hint to them so i'm wondering if i could get these off with claying and polishing with the focus pads (the guys that do the detailing claim he used the heaviest compound and clayed but i don't believe him because he kind of brushed me off when i mentioned caly with the, "i know what i'm doing attitude")

i wanted to get your guys insight before i offer to go to this guys house and go to work on his car:help::help::willy::willy:

i used peanut oil to remove some overspray on my vinyl stripes, because the clay bar was not getting it off.

peanut butter would work also (smooth, not crunchy!). just be sure to tape off the paint because it will strip any sealant on the paint!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great video. Have glossy silver metallic vinyl stripes on my car.Just like the body, Brilliant Glaze, Buttery Wax and Detail Spray gives great results. Have seen some nice cars with stripes around that the owners should be tied to a chair and made to watch the video over and over.:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the video and info Dylan!!! I'm going out and work on mine now. I have some residue from polishing the car that wont come off. It's on my rear fascia also. I have used All Purpose Cleaner and a tooth brush on the fascia and it still won't come off. (I havent used anything but detail spray on the stripe, with no luck.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seeing as the other thread on this subject was removed (hmmm?) I figured I'd update this thread to relieve any confusion or apprehension about the proper care of your vinyl stripes or graphics that may have been raised in that discussion.

I just completed a conversation with a representative of 3M graphics division and he not only assured me that their film is safe to wax, they actually recommend it! The only exception being textured or matte finishes. While not required for warranty of the films, I was assured that use of a quality automotive wax or sealant will "extend the life of coated (gloss) films and protect them from potential issues such as fallout"

Additionally I've reached out to my contacts at Avery who will be getting back to me with the tech docs from the graphics and pressure sensitive materials division specific to their OEM and aftermarket products. As I had already stated, and they confirmed, waxes and sealants are perfectly safe to use on all their vehicle wraps, stripes, etc. save for matte films.

First post has been updated, along with the Oracal information AJ provided and other information I was able to find on their site and I will continue to post the technical information here as its sent to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-7153-136818071544_thumb.jpg

Hi

Question on how to clean and polish matte silver ghost stripes on my mini? I was wondering if there is a sealer that I could use on the matte film to protect film and allow for wash and wax of the whole car? I'm very reluctant to taking the time to tape stripes.

thx

jeff