Customer Service 866.965.0400

iOS5

Chewy

The only reason I ask is because I visit a lot of sites that use flash for videos and such but I like the ease and simplicity of the iPhone....oh well maybe I'll go back to not having a cell phone at all...that was the easiest....LOL.

The only reason I ask is because I visit a lot of sites that use flash for videos and such but I like the ease and simplicity of the iPhone....oh well maybe I'll go back to not having a cell phone at all...that was the easiest....LOL.

Skyfire does alleviate a lot of those issues... :thumbsup: We have another one that we use on our iPads that works well too. Nice thing about the apps is the load that flash causes, doesn't affect your battery. The one thing you have to watch for, is going to sites with the app that need a password to log in to, since you're sitting on a server which may grab them.

My wife has the Android phone because she's with US Cellular. If US had the Windows phone, I'd buy her one. I actually prefer IT over Androids OS. JMO

Chris

did you pull the trigger and get one?!?!?!?!?

iOS 5 is going to rock, especially once apps start getting updated for it. I can't say too much more about it though due to NDA, but there was a lot of cool stuff at WWDC last week.

Earlier in the thread someone said to get a $99 account for the beta (I know the school district is a separate issue and not related to this). Please don't get a dev account just for the beta, especially at this point. Trust me on this one. You're asking for trouble on it. There's a lot of subtle changes that are wreaking havoc on apps and other issues you don't really want to deal with. You also don't want to do it if you only have one iPhone. The conventional wisdom among devs is "only an idiot installs an iOS beta, especially beta 1, on your primary device". It's just asking for trouble. Trust me I know the urge to go for the new shinny, but give us and Apple a chance to get the kinks worked for first.

This might not be as much of an issue as you think. More and more sites are offering html5 versions of the video for iOS users while still showing flash to non-iOS users. It'll mainly depend on which sites you're viewing. For the sites I visit, I'm seeing over 50% (probably around 60-65%) of the videos posted on them now. A little over a year ago when the iPad first launched I would have put that number more in the 10% range (only youtube stuff). So we're definitely moving in the right direction on it.

Earlier in the thread someone said to get a $99 account for the beta (I know the school district is a separate issue and not related to this). Please don't get a dev account just for the beta, especially at this point. Trust me on this one. You're asking for trouble on it. There's a lot of subtle changes that are wreaking havoc on apps and other issues you don't really want to deal with. You also don't want to do it if you only have one iPhone. The conventional wisdom among devs is "only an idiot installs an iOS beta, especially beta 1, on your primary device". It's just asking for trouble. Trust me I know the urge to go for the new shinny, but give us and Apple a chance to get the kinks worked for first.

It was a joke of sorts... A dev here has it. He put it on his iPad2 first and used it for a bit and was surprised how clean it actually was for a first beta release, so he stuck it on his iPhone too.

The notifications are what I'm wanting the most.

I realize you can't speak outside your NDA, but engadget has quite a lot on the subject. The mirroring is a neat idea, but it looks to be only for iPad 2 users. I hope that's not true.

It was a joke of sorts... A dev here has it. He put it on his iPad2 first and used it for a bit and was surprised how clean it actually was for a first beta release, so he stuck it on his iPhone too.

My comment was partially for my piece of mind and to try to head off anyone getting in trouble. I've seen at other places people doing what you joked about and then complaining about things not working. I was even seeing negative reviews on the app store last week with people complaining about bugs under iOS5. We were like "really? it just came out, we're all at the conference. how do you expect us to have it fixed already?" So I want to head those off as much as I can. :thumbsup:

The notifications are what I'm wanting the most.

I realize you can't speak outside your NDA, but engadget has quite a lot on the subject. The mirroring is a neat idea, but it looks to be only for iPad 2 users. I hope that's not true.

Gotta be really careful with NDA here. I know who inside of Apple I've gotten hooked on Adam's. This isn't a safe place to let things slip. :D Stuff that was talked about at the keynote or that Apple has released on their website is safe. So there's a fine like to walk.

Notifications from what was shown at the keynote look cool. The system looks a lot cleaner than the current system. Hopefully they have it set-up so that reading the item in the notification panel also clears the app badging. I haven't used it yet, so that's mainly a frustration from the current notification system. I should file an enhancement request for it.

Looking forward to the update as well. I really hope they fix the problem of the stupid bookmarks menu popping up when I open safari on my iPhone. That drives me bezerk. And I'm too OCD to have another site open all the time. Oh well.

Archived