Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garden Pond Filter

DP 08 GXP

anybody on here have one? the house we bought last july has one and we are having a hell of a time keeping the water clean....we tried the liquid stuff from a pet store that is supposed to help clear it up but that didnt do anything...we have a pump but im guessing it is just to power the waterfall....anybody recommend a good pump and filter that isnt too expensive? the pond isnt huge....it is probably a 150-250 gallons if i had to guess

We had a pond about that size at our other house and we bought a pump from the garden section of Home Depot. It worked great and was only around $100.

Maybe the pump you have just isn't enough for the amount of water you want to pump. The bigger the pump, the faster the flow.

We have a pump at the lake that we use to pump lake water up the hill about 60 feet and then down through large rocks. It's our stream/waterfall... Pretty neat... It has NO filter on it. In fact, it stopped working last year and we were dumbfounded on why. Dad got in the water and pulled it up and MAN I wish I had a video camera rolling... The screech that 66 year old man made was better than any 12 year old girl could have made. I stood there (the only one) and watched it all... He pulled it up by what he thought was the power cord leading into it. Nope... It was a 4 foot snake that had gotten sucked up into it. He literally held it out in front of him and screamed for 5 seconds as I screamed DROP IT DROP IT... He FROZE!!!! I'm laughing my backside off typing this.

Anyway... We don't have a filter, and the snake got pulled head first into the impeller.

Once removed (buy us wearing gloves) it worked like a charm... lol

Chris

I would go to a pet supply store. They should have a pond filter that will work for you. Or you could just build your own. I built a wet/dry filter out of a large rubbermaid container. Just google pond filters and you should be able to find something.

Is the water dirty? Or do you have a lot of growth forming that you want to get rid of? My parents have a pond and we/they use a black light made for killing growth. The filter then catches all of this without putting it back into the pond. The most IMPORTANT thing to remember about pond pumps DO NOT, DO NOT buy a "normal pump" any normal pump with have oil in it and if the case breaks while in the pond, you will have nothing but dead fish! Ask me how I know this.:help: $2,500 in dead fish!!! Buy a pump made for ponds!!!

EDIT: Ponds pumps have vegetable oil in them that if they leak will not kill all your fish. We found out the hard way!!

Archived