Customer Service 866.965.0400

How soon to polish/wax fresh paint

scherisho

Question

13 answers to this question

Did your painter give a timeframe? Was the paint baked? At the recent clinic, Adam's general guideposts were 90 days for summer weather and I believe 6 months for winter weather.

DO NOT rush to get polish/sealant/wax on the car. You will do far more damage rushing than just letting the paint naturally cure. There have been pictures posted here of paint that was sealed too early. Its NOT pretty.

I had part of a bumper repainted on our denali, about a month ago. I put some americana on the whole vehicle, couldn't get myself to skip that spot so waxed it also. I saw no problem with it when done. I tried not to apply much pressure

Polish you can do right away, they wet sand and or polish the vehicle after painted anyways.

Waxing, unless really baked, wait the full 90 summer days. The solvents in the paint need the time to "gas off". If sealed in with sealant or wax the paint could do anything from nothing, to chip easier than normal, to peel off. It'll happen over time, not right away.

DS? I'd err on the safe side and keep it off too. It's only 90 days.

I had part of a bumper repainted on our denali, about a month ago. I put some americana on the whole vehicle, couldn't get myself to skip that spot so waxed it also. I saw no problem with it when done. I tried not to apply much pressure

The amount of pressure applied is not part of the equation. You should get that wax off ASAP.

The amount of pressure applied is not part of the equation. You should get that wax off ASAP.

Exactly. Picture the Wax as a lid on your paint right now. No place for the gasses to escape, so they will find other means, usually screwing your paint up.

Well that makes sense, I did wait a month though! Maybe I'll take it off. It was just a small area of rear bumper so shouldn't take long to take off.

Well that makes sense, I did wait a month though! Maybe I'll take it off. It was just a small area of rear bumper so shouldn't take long to take off.

You really should, it isn't worth the risk :2thumbs:

Archived