Customer Service 866.965.0400

Needing help

the1inblue

Question

So I decided to recorrect panels on the Camaro today. Some of the panels were the hood, roof and trunk. Well I breeze though the hood with ease. It only took a single pass SHR and FMP. So Im done with the hood and it looks like glass! I move to the roof and well I did a pass with SHR then FMP. I inspect and small water spots were etched in the paint. Well I decided do another pass of SHR. I inspect the work, still there. By this time I'm getting a little frustrated. So I do a pass of SSR. The water spots are still there but a little lighter. Does anyone got any idea what I do from here. I took break for today. Any input would be nice. Oh I prep the car by washing it, claying it, rewashing. I did a alcohol wipedown before doing each panel. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little update..so my car been in and out the rain since I did the correction. Mostly out since my lovely gf cleaned the garage up enough so I can get the car inside. However the car did get rain on at work a few times. Well the results aren't to my liking. After a few weeks and weekly washing. The spots are back. I tried claying and that helped some however there a few I can't get out. Im kinda lost with words on what to expect from MSS and two coats of BW. Maybe I need to accept its a daily driver and its black and that I need to deal with it.

But the car WAS to your liking prior to getting rained on? Seems like you are in an area with some seriously tough water in your rain, if its getting through all the product coats you have on and still spotting the paint.

I'm hoping others with chime in with some possible solutions.

Yep it was 100% corrected. Looked awesome! Not bad now but I had to clay some of them out. I still have a few that need do be polished out. Some bad water I guess. Guess ill do 2 coats of MSS next time.

Well the vehicle stored outside unfortunately until I can clear the garage out. I want to buy a temp canopy or something so I can protect it until then. With summer rain and the temps being around 90-95 degrees its gonna be tough to keep waterspots from developing until I get some cover for the car. I do have a car cover however I don't like using it at all. I work nights and if it rains during day I can't go rush outside to dry the car off. I could keep the vehicle in my neighbors garage. Which is where I'm working out of right now but the car has become my daily driver until I can get my suv's a/c fixed. So I got a good idea what's causing the water spots and that is storage and the paint being fully correct the right way last time. I read AJ water spot thread and and understand I'm gonna have to get all the imperfections out the paint to prevent water spots. Ill keep you guys posted and if something arises and I can't get them out. Ill do my best to post a video. I wish pictures would show what I'm talking about however it so light its hard to tell but under 1000w of halogen lights you can see them enough to know they are there. Btw I'm using well water when washing the vehicle. I do have in mind to get a water filter for the outside hose to be on the safe side. Thanks again everyone for their help.

So I do a pass of SSR. The water spots are still there but a little lighter.

As AJ would say, and I quote "Do it again"

You already know what you are doing is giving the results you are after, you just need to keep going :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:iagree: Doing the top of your roof is a pain in the toes, if you have a small ladder you can get a better pressure on that PC. Think about it when you did the hood it was easy, now your up higher trying to put pressure on that PC is harder. So try using a ladder to get more pressure on the PC it should help.:cheers:

:iagree: Doing the top of your roof is a pain in the toes, if you have a small ladder you can get a better pressure on that PC. Think about it when you did the hood it was easy, now your up higher trying to put pressure on that PC is harder. So try using a ladder to get more pressure on the PC it should help.:cheers:

I got a small step ladder and yes it does help. Thanks for tip though!

So should I stick with SSR and keeping passing until they are gone? It wasn't really a big difference than the SHR results.

I would say keep going , but I would wait to here from one of Adams personals.

I got a small step ladder and yes it does help. Thanks for tip though!

awesome, just making sure not working your self to death.:thumbsup:

As this isn't the first time you have had this problem I would love to see a short video of your technique, it could go a long way in helping us help you :thumbsup:

I'm sure I could try lol. Kinda shy when in the spotlight but ill see what I can do.

I'm sure I could try lol. Kinda shy when in the spotlight but ill see what I can do.

Wear a hat and play some music, it seems to help :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Technique plays a big part. I am not one of adams pros by any means but a video would help just so we could see what your actually doing. I would hit it with ssr again and flash it then respray pad with ds and work it again without anymore polish and see what you get.

How deep are they? The 4" Focal Pads work good on water spots!:thumbsup:

:iagree: If they are not all over the roof. Otherwise try the SSR with the big pads.

Did you try to clay the area before you started to polish? I'm just throwing out ideas.

Repeated attempts will be most helpful, especially if you are seeing improvements with one pass...The PC is a great tool for 98.95724% of all the paint correction problems you'll have. The upside is that its just about impossible to mess up your paint, the (small) down side is that it may take a few additional passes to work out some tougher waterspots or deeper swirls.

You'll get there, just take your time.

If this has happened before, we might need to talk about why its happening. Where the car is stored, what the quality of your home water is, etc.

Oh yeah, MSW is the way to go if it is anywhere near being a DD. Plus it really looks good and it really lasts. (Plus if you want to top with BG and/or Americana it's a great base).

You results are stellar! Good job Jon, love that 2nd shot! Way to persevere. :thumbsup:

Similarly, after getting my pre-owned HHR home, I noticed some nasty 'blacked out' deep scratches in the paint (from some detailing joker's buffer edge) and believe it or not, they came out with the pc, but it took a few tries to finally get them out. I just kept trying, and finally they came out. The PC will do heavier stuff, just more slowly and safely than a flex.

Thanks Doug! Yeah it did take a little longer to get the results I wanted but it got there. Maybe its time for me to move up to a flex, lol. Im gonna top the MSW with BG and hope for some protection now that I have the paint at perfect. I just finished the roof. Hope to move to the trunk now. Got some nasty swirls in it.

Archived