Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte Black wheels cleaning fail

Coderedpl

Question

Hi there all,

So today I decided I would try and bring my matte black wheels back to life. So instead of having sort of a bronze/brake dusty color, they are indeed the nice matte black.

I must confess that my recent purchases of Adams products involved more of a detail/paint correction & interior care side rather than actual general washing of the vehicle. With that said, I do not yet have the Adams wheel cleaner but i did have sonax wheel cleaner, the boars hair brush, lug nut brush and spoke brush to get deeper into the wheels. I also have a pressure washer on hand to spray them down hard. The results, I was honestly sort of expecting to see.

Pictures tell the story (click for bigger pics)

th_IMG_0492.jpgth_IMG_0491.jpgth_IMG_0490.jpgth_IMG_0489.jpgth_IMG_0488.jpgth_IMG_0487.jpgth_IMG_0486.jpgth_IMG_0485.jpgth_IMG_0484.jpgth_IMG_0483.jpgth_IMG_0482.jpg

This seems to be the result whether I use OTC products from an auto-parts store or something like I said above. My guess is that is caked on brake dust, and I either need some monster of a product or clay-bar would work. From what I saw Adams only has one type of wheel cleaner which I'm still yet to try.

What do you guys think? Would taking clay-bar to the wheels help resolve the issue?

Also, is it just me or do these 16oz wheel cleaner bottles go within the first car wash? I have about half or so a bottle left after only spraying 8 wheels =| (it worked better on my bros silver non-matte wheels)

14 answers to this question

I ran into a similar problem last year with my matt bronze wheels. It seemed that products that got rid of brake dust where left behind some kind of residue that the matte finish picks up.

My solution? Came by it by accident. I was hitting the rubber with SVRT and got some on the wheels. Lo and behold, the wheels looked like they were supposed to!

This is the before, if you look close you can see some of the residue I talked about.

CIMG0003-2.jpg

This is after hitting it with SVRT.

CIMG0002-2.jpg

Hi there all,

So today I decided I would try and bring my matte black wheels back to life. So instead of having sort of a bronze/brake dusty color, they are indeed the nice matte black.

I must confess that my recent purchases of Adams products involved more of a detail/paint correction & interior care side rather than actual general washing of the vehicle. With that said, I do not yet have the Adams wheel cleaner but i did have sonax wheel cleaner, the boars hair brush, lug nut brush and spoke brush to get deeper into the wheels. I also have a pressure washer on hand to spray them down hard. The results, I was honestly sort of expecting to see.

Pictures tell the story (click for bigger pics)

th_IMG_0492.jpgth_IMG_0491.jpgth_IMG_0490.jpgth_IMG_0489.jpgth_IMG_0488.jpgth_IMG_0487.jpgth_IMG_0486.jpgth_IMG_0485.jpgth_IMG_0484.jpgth_IMG_0483.jpgth_IMG_0482.jpg

This seems to be the result whether I use OTC products from an auto-parts store or something like I said above. My guess is that is caked on brake dust, and I either need some monster of a product or clay-bar would work. From what I saw Adams only has one type of wheel cleaner which I'm still yet to try.

What do you guys think? Would taking clay-bar to the wheels help resolve the issue?

Also, is it just me or do these 16oz wheel cleaner bottles go within the first car wash? I have about half or so a bottle left after only spraying 8 wheels =| (it worked better on my bros silver non-matte wheels)

The wheel cleaner's are designed to loosen up and release the iron in the break dust. Let is soak for 5 minutes, hit is up with the Adam's Brushes and the Turbo Stick for the Barrel of the wheel. Your wheels look clean of break dust, (since they don't have a competing product) you just need to finish it off with some Wheel Wax. The wheel cleaner did it's job, but now you just need to finish the job. Try the Super VRT as another AF member recommended, that may work for you.

And hell no, it's not you. They do go fast. I use the dual action spray bottles for all my products, even the Adam's stuff, and they go even quicker that way. Hahah.:help:Makes it kind of pricey to clean wheels. Next wash, I'm going to get a weel cleaning bucket filled with the Auto Shampoo, and use the Turbo Stick with just soap. It should clean everything just as well, I'll save some money there.

I did let the wheel cleaner sit there for a good 5 minutes for sure.

What bothers me is the residue left over what seems to be like caked on brake dust. I might try the SVRT when it finally comes.

try claying first but sometimes depending on the compound of the brake pads it can just bake to the wheel and actually cause the finish to pit. but again try the clay bar and then the svrt and see how you like it. Try it on one wheel that way try another wheel with just the svrt and maybe the third wheel with a different combo of stuff until you get what you are looking for and then go with that method.

I'm going to get a weel cleaning bucket filled with the Auto Shampoo, and use the Turbo Stick with just soap. It should clean everything just as well, I'll save some money there.

Dave, check out my thread on cleaning the wheels with a foaming sprayer - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10776

DO NOT CLAY! It will likely only make matters worse since you're dealing with a matte finish. Odd as it sounds... take a little SSR on a towel (terry cloth or microfiber) and rub it into a test section.

I came across a very similar looking issue on my brothers matte black wheels and nothing seemed to touch the staining left behind (he had run the car thru a hand wash place and they used diluted simple green on them) after a lot of trial and error SSR and a edgeless utility towel was the only way to get rid of it, then followed up with a treatment of Super VRT and they look good as new.

Archived