Customer Service 866.965.0400

holograms after hand polish

bamablueoval

Question

alright everybody my story goes like this. i washed my truck with dawn, clayed it, applied bg, then americana. all by hand. i am seeing some holograms now. where did i go wrong in this process? my truck is about 5 months old and the only reason i even clayed it was to remove a few water spots. I watched the video about applying the bg and then going right back over it with the americana. I used the micro fiber that came with the americana and bg to do the final wipe down of the americana. do i need to wash it in dawn again and start over?

thanks in advance

Matt

I see a number of problems / issues. First of all you used "M" wax product which contains fillers that hide swirls, hazing and holograms. Your dealer also may have used a filler product also in the dealer prep (common practice). When you dawn washed and clayed the truck....voila! The real finish underneath the fillers is exposed that will require machine polishing. No big deal. Either have the finish polished by a detailer that we can recommend in your area and then apply Adam's Americana yourself or get a PC and some SHR and FMP and go at it yourself. Either way, you win. Welcome to Adam's where you can find the proper advice and product to handle most any finish problem.:patriot::welcomebanner:

Dawn is going to strip off all of your work. Was your issues just on the door or all over? If it was all over, then do a Dawn wash. Otherwise do an Adam's car shampoo wash.

If you do a Dawn wash, I recommend you BG 2-3 panels at a time. By the time you hit the third panel, the first one will be cured. Once your done will the BG, go back over the truck with a clean towel only. Sometimes Americana over a DS wipe down doesn't play nice and could cause a little haze. Put THIN coat of Americana down and wipe off. Should be fine.

Let us know what happens.

Update for everyone..

I did talk to 2hi4sum...stand up guy by the way...we talked about various things and after our convo i went out and wiped down one door with ds then with ipa then again with ds as i didnt have enough time to reapply the bg and americana. as of right now everything on that door appears to look like it should. I think i had more of a clouding problem than an actual hologram problem. The very first time i waxed my truck was the week after i bought it and i did a dawn washdown and then waxed it with meguiars.no problems...No worries though. i am a full adam's convert now. even with my slight clouding problems i could tell my truck looked deeper and wetter after the adam's treatment.

now i have a couple more questions and maybe ill shut up...haha

1. I do not have any waterless wash and my truck has accumulated quite a bit of dust so i will need to wash it again, however the weather is supposed to turn stormy by wed. and rain for a couple of days here. so my question is after its all clear and i wash my truck do i need to wash it down with dawn and reapply the bg and americana or can i just wash it with the shampoo and do a ds wipedown?

thank you everyone for your input and ideas. I believe i have found my new favorite home on the net!

Glad to hear you have that cleared up :2thumbs:

No need to wash with Dawn again, you shouldn't use that often. Just wash with Adam's shampoo and dry it and you should be good to wax that door again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would wash with Adam's. Then do a DS wipedown and see where that gets you. Make sure to do a two bucket wash. It is amazing how much grit accumulates in the second bucket. If you don't have any Adam's car wash just call me and I can loan you some.

One thing to think about. When I went to Adam's I went all out. From the car wash all the way to Americana and everything in between. With 110% guarantee you can't go wrong. Also if you do have a problem it's a lot easier for the forum members to help you troubleshoot.

Len

Update for everyone..

I did talk to 2hi4sum...stand up guy by the way...we talked about various things and after our convo i went out and wiped down one door with ds then with ipa then again with ds as i didnt have enough time to reapply the bg and americana. as of right now everything on that door appears to look like it should. I think i had more of a clouding problem than an actual hologram problem. The very first time i waxed my truck was the week after i bought it and i did a dawn washdown and then waxed it with meguiars.no problems...No worries though. i am a full adam's convert now. even with my slight clouding problems i could tell my truck looked deeper and wetter after the adam's treatment.

now i have a couple more questions and maybe ill shut up...haha

1. I do not have any waterless wash and my truck has accumulated quite a bit of dust so i will need to wash it again, however the weather is supposed to turn stormy by wed. and rain for a couple of days here. so my question is after its all clear and i wash my truck do i need to wash it down with dawn and reapply the bg and americana or can i just wash it with the shampoo and do a ds wipedown?

thank you everyone for your input and ideas. I believe i have found my new favorite home on the net!

If they are holograms theres no way you put them in... it takes a rotary polisher and some pretty bad technique to create hologramming. Being that you used a glaze/wax combo with zero abrasives and you're hand doesn't have the capability to spin at high speed the chances you put holograms in is absolutely ZERO.

I suspect that one of 2 things happened:

1) The humidity slowed the curing process down of the glaze, wax, or both and what you are seeing is the oils from the product still on the surface as they weren't removed, but more smeared around.

2) There was damage previously that was being masked by a filler of some sort and you simply exposed it with your process.

:iagree:

Now as for the offer of help, by all means take him up on it.

- Darryl

If they are holograms theres no way you put them in... it takes a rotary polisher and some pretty bad technique to create hologramming. Being that you used a glaze/wax combo with zero abrasives and you're hand doesn't have the capability to spin at high speed the chances you put holograms in is absolutely ZERO.

I suspect that one of 2 things happened:

1) The humidity slowed the curing process down of the glaze, wax, or both and what you are seeing is the oils from the product still on the surface as they weren't removed, but more smeared around.

2) There was damage previously that was being masked by a filler of some sort and you simply exposed it with your process.

If the truck is a recent purchase (five months ago you state) the holograms could have been there when you bought it. You may not have been able to see them easily because the dealer probably had a glaze applied prior to your purchase: this is a very common practice with both used and new vehicles. You would have removed all the glaze with the Dawn wash and use of the clay bar. Sounds like polishing is now needed.

:iagree:

the humidity here in alabama is high so could that be the problem?

There you go, with the high humidity the BG probably had not fully dried prior to putting the Americana on. Wipe down that door with IPA and then apply the BG and Americana again.

However they got there, you aren't going to wax them out -- they're in the clear coat. Polishing is your only option. :pc:Time to get out the Porter Cable. If you want a swirl-free finish, wait til you see your truck after you do the SSR/SHR/FMP/MSW/Americana progression.

If the truck is a recent purchase (five months ago you state) the holograms could have been there when you bought it. You may not have been able to see them easily because the dealer probably had a glaze applied prior to your purchase: this is a very common practice with both used and new vehicles. You would have removed all the glaze with the Dawn wash and use of the clay bar. Sounds like polishing is now needed.

My guess is that the humidity caused the product to be left behind on the vehicle. I've run into this problem before.

While I don't have Americana (yet) I have heard it can be a bit of a pain to remove if you let it sit too long

I would wait until night time when it gets cooler and down a wipe down with DS.

Without pics to tell and going by what you said I'm 90% this will solve your problem. Good luck! :2thumbs:

But you didn't do any polishing.

My only guess is they have been there since the dealer installed them before you bought it and now you can see them because you washed it. But that all goes out the window if what you actually mean is "swirls" not "holograms.

i see now i should have put waxing and not polishing. im a stickler for details too but it is late.haha

ive had my truck for 5 months and can assure you yesterday was not the first time ive washed it. It did not have any swirls/holograms when i bought it and i waxed it with meguiars the week after i bought it. no problems. i am new to adams products but not to detailing and i know the difference between a swirl and a hologram. i just wasnt sure if i didnt properly remove the bg before the americana, if i used too much or too little,

should i have done a ds wipedown after the glaze?

should i do a dawn wash and apply the americana only and see what that does?

just looking for a simple solution that i might have overlooked in my haste to try the adams products out.

But you didn't do any polishing.

My only guess is they have been there since the dealer installed them before you bought it and now you can see them because you washed it. But that all goes out the window if what you actually mean is "swirls" not "holograms.

Archived