Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage makeover, need help

Redvenm

Well it is about time to fix up my garage, currently I am looking at different floor coverings/sealants

After searching here I can't seem to find much on garage floor covers. Whether its an epoxy sealant or some kind of vinyl cover.

H Depot has various different kinds available.

Anybody have any suggestions or used any of these products and how hard was it to put down?

A couple of years ago I had a new epoxy floor professionally installed in my garage. Looks and holds up great. Everyone comments on it when it's clean and the lights are on. I thought about doing it myself but I heard a few nightmare stories about issues when people do it themselves incorrectly. My floor has a light grey base coat, vinyl chips for traction and then two coats of clear to seal it.

check out garagejournal.com they go into alot of discussions on floors, I actually thought about doing the tiles on my floor. the epoxy I dont think will work for me because the slab sucks up moisture from the ground on humid days and its obvious they tried something and it just peeled up.

Is the garage floor stained with any oil spots?

Is it cracked at all?

Do you want a smooth or textured look/feel?

There are no cracks or oil spots.

I would prefer a slight texture to it so it is not slippery.

Some of these kits have colored flakes to add which should make it visually appealing too.

I have only talked to 2 people that know anyone that has applied this. No issues with either.

Your floor sounds like a great specimen the epoxy floor system. To make sure your floor does pull moisture up from the floor take a clear plastic bag and tape a 2'x2' piece to the floor and wait 24 hours to see if you have any moisture droplets on the plastic. This will tell you if you can use the epoxy or not. Water drops means no epoxy for you, but if you don't get any water droplets then your good to go!!

Your floor sounds like a great specimen the epoxy floor system. To make sure your floor does pull moisture up from the floor take a clear plastic bag and tape a 2'x2' piece to the floor and wait 24 hours to see if you have any moisture droplets on the plastic. This will tell you if you can use the epoxy or not. Water drops means no epoxy for you, but if you don't get any water droplets then your good to go!!

Excellent suggestion, I would have never thought of that test.

Thanks brian, will do this weekend.

garagejournal.com, I will make a visit here as well.

Appreciate the input guys.

I would sure like to find a way to incorporate the Adams colors or logo into this makeover.

Thanks brian, will do this weekend.

I would sure like to find a way to incorporate the Adams colors or logo into this makeover.

No problem! I love the idea of an Adam's logo on your floor!!!

yeah im on there with the same screen name but when you do the plastic test do it on a humid day when the temp is hi and the humidity is high thats when it happens to me.

Here in Colorado we don't really have very high humidity days. Currently it's 19%.

No problem! I love the idea of an Adam's logo on your floor!!!

An Adams logo on the floor would be sweet. Although I have no idea how I would get that done. I certainly don't have the ability to freehand it, I have issues drawing stick figures!!!!

Can you post a picture of the epoxy floor you have in your garage now. Im thinking of redoing the floor in my garage.

I dont have anything other than bare concrete now.

Looking for others who have done it and how did it turn out.

The floor is the start of my makeover.

Currently saving up the coin to do this.

AspartX by LineX

Pricey, but after seeing the difference theres no way I'd spend the money on another kind of flooring. Better impact resistance, better chemical resistance, just all around better.

Dylan, that stuff looks nice but it doesn't look like a DIY. Correct?

What kind of price have you found on a 2 car garage?

I used ArmorPoxy for my new shop and it is great! It requires you to work much faster than the cheaper water based stuff you get from HD but it does a better job and goes on A LOT thicker! We have the Quickrete stuff on our warehouse floor and it has worn through in many different places because it goes on so thin. Granted, it has a forklift going over it, but you do get what you pay for.

The biggest thing is prep. The floor must be 100% clean and oil/grease free and checked for moisture like mentioned earlier. If you are good there then ANY of the systems will go down good and not flake up on you or pull up from a hot tire.

Oddly I don't have any pictures of it finished online, but I went with white and no flakes and love it. A good epoxy is super easy to clean!

I used ArmorPoxy for my new shop and it is great! It requires you to work much faster than the cheaper water based stuff you get from HD but it does a better job and goes on A LOT thicker! We have the Quickrete stuff on our warehouse floor and it has worn through in many different places because it goes on so thin. Granted, it has a forklift going over it, but you do get what you pay for.

The biggest thing is prep. The floor must be 100% clean and oil/grease free and checked for moisture like mentioned earlier. If you are good there then ANY of the systems will go down good and not flake up on you or pull up from a hot tire.

Oddly I don't have any pictures of it finished online, but I went with white and no flakes and love it. A good epoxy is super easy to clean!

Bradley, where did you get the ArmorPoxy ? I agree, definately get what you pay for.

I bought it from here:

http://www.armorpoxy.com/

Being white, I had to step up to the Commercial/Military grade 3-coat system (to prevent it from turning yellow) and therefore made it cost a lot more than just a gray coat. I spent $1800 for everything (rollers, covers, mixers, gloves, buckets, etc) to do 1400 sq. ft. I think it was around $1000 for the gray, maybe less.

Dylan, that stuff looks nice but it doesn't look like a DIY. Correct?

What kind of price have you found on a 2 car garage?

Oh yea, definitely not DIY... its sprayed on hot just like a linex bedliner.

They diamond grind the concrete, patch cracks, and all that stuff before they put it down.

I had the chance to spend a lot of time with one of the big wigs at Line X during SEMA this past year and we talked about it at length. Its a superior product to anything out there partially b/c of all the work that goes in before hand.

I guess the appeal for me is it reminds me of how good detailing is, claying and polishing before laying down protection... same idea here.

Seeing it in person too the difference is very clear as to how much better it is. Price for a 2 car garage is $2-$3000 depending on the options you choose.

Oh yea, definitely not DIY... its sprayed on hot just like a linex bedliner.

They diamond grind the concrete, patch cracks, and all that stuff before they put it down.

I had the chance to spend a lot of time with one of the big wigs at Line X during SEMA this past year and we talked about it at length. Its a superior product to anything out there partially b/c of all the work that goes in before hand.

I guess the appeal for me is it reminds me of how good detailing is, claying and polishing before laying down protection... same idea here.

Seeing it in person too the difference is very clear as to how much better it is. Price for a 2 car garage is $2-$3000 depending on the options you choose.

This stuff sounds like the bomb!!!

It's a good thing I have darn near everything you guys sell or this would certainly put a damper on my Adams budget...

Looks like I will be staying away from the big box stuff!! That's why I came here, I knew there would be some solid info available.

Again, thanks guys!:cheers:

BTW: U Coat IT is only slightly better than the big box stuff, it is still water based so the majority of what you apply evaporates. 100% solids (2-part epoxy) is the way to go.

Dylan: OUCH!! $3000 for a 2-car? That stuff better outlast the house by 2 centuries! lol If that is installed price with all the work you listed that actually isn't too bad.

BTW: U Coat IT is only slightly better than the big box stuff, it is still water based so the majority of what you apply evaporates. 100% solids (2-part epoxy) is the way to go.

Dylan: OUCH!! $3000 for a 2-car? That stuff better outlast the house by 2 centuries! lol If that is installed price with all the work you listed that actually isn't too bad.

It is, they don't sell it any other way... you want it done they send a guy out on day 1, he patches cracks, acid cleans the concrete, diamond grinds the floor, and all the other prep.

Day 2 they come back and lay the coating down... its sprayed on not rolled or mopped like the DIY.

Honestly though, I'm probably not doing it justice, if you're interested check out the LineX site to see if a dealer has it locally. Not all of them do, but they can probably answer the questions a heck of a lot better than I can.

I just know after learning about it I won't waste the time/money doing anything else. I'll just save up and have it done right. Plus check out some of the pattern and custom work they do with this stuff!!

main_site_aspartx_photo_gallery_05_high_resolution.jpg

main_site_aspartx_photo_gallery_01_high_resolution.jpg

Archived