Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brake Dust on tires....HELP!

Carolinaboy

Question

Ok so I know this is talked about like crazy and everything I see says, " Use 100% APC" Well I've done that several times and still see some brake dust on the tires......UGHHH!!!

The guy that had the tires before me obviously didn't clean them too well

Any Ideas?? The side walls on these big 35s have a good bit of surface area

Thanks in advance:cheers:

18 answers to this question

Get them as clean as you can and then treat them with SVRT they will look new!

Yeah, the SVRT on the wheels too like Dylan said did the trick for the wheels. I did two wheels with SVRT on the wheels & two plain. The plain ones have a lot more brake dust than the ones treated with SVRT. :rockon:

Yeah, wheel wheel brush and even tried a "off" brand tire brush. And still look brown to me :confused:

Something else that can turn tires brown is a crappy tire dressing. I used one on my previous car (many moons ago, before I heard about Adam's!) and those tires turned brown after a while. And I know it wasn't brake dust because the rears had it too and they were drums :)

Silicon can turn tires brown too... I wonder if that's what the PO used on them. That spray foam silicon stuff DOES work well on AT tires. SVRT is hard to get on my 4x4 tires. The side lugs are the worst. (NO, I don't use the foam stuff, I use SVRT)

SVRT is great stuff. For longer life, add a second coat and then wash with car wash shampoo diluted with water in a spray bottle. Works the bee's knees.

I wouldn't put ceramics on my truck. These tanks need all the help they can get and ceramics will reduce the amount of braking you get. I use Hawk HPS on my G8 and will use them on my other two. Low dust and GREAT braking.

Get a camera you beatnik! lol

Chris

Pictures might help. Might not be brake dust. Could be tar or something you drove through.

:worth:

:jester:

Don't have a Camera right now :(

But after applying SVRT on them you can't even tell that they were dingy so problem solved

I have never done a back-to-back cleaning test, but I used to use westles bleach white on tires and it always got them clean. It will destroy bare alum nearly instantly so be very cautious when using.

My current TBSS tires always have a brown tinge and some markings are still faintly there, but when you put the SVRT on them they instantly go black so I don't worry about it.

In the past, when things have been just THAT dirty, and APC Full Strength wouldn't work, I have been known to (and be vary careful with) use Scrubbing Bubbles on the tires. I don't advise doing this very often if at all, because I don't know chemically what's going on. Gets them clean though, at least to the point of being able to use FS APC.

Mook

Thought I might add, that Ceramic brake pads run a lot cleaner. If you are not running them you might consider them:hi:

I have the Wagner Thermoquiets, but I got the semi-metallic. Next time around I'm going Ceramics. Honestly they aren't that bad. It's just that I'm driving the truck a lot more than I used to. My old work route was 10 miles round trip, now it is 60 miles :(

For really bad ones after I scrub the APC into a foam I rinse the rim and let the APC sit on the tire for a couple minutes. Then scrub again and rinse.

On most rims you wouldn't want the 100% APC sitting on it for too long.

You will need to move the vehicle a little and do it again as rinsing the rim will take the APC off the lower part of the tire.

Archived