Customer Service 866.965.0400

Soot (?) behind Rear Wheels

icantdrive55

Question

I'm getting a dry, black, sooty accumulation on the lower rear fenders behind the wheel wells and up around the back end of my G8. It appears without rain and wet roads. I initially thought it was the 'old' tire dressing I had used before SVRT, but it's still showing up. There's nothing mechanically wrong like burning oil, etc. Is this just plain, old fashioned grime that is showing up? Maybe I'm noticing more with a silver car and paying much closer attention to details...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Thanks.

Mike

I've tried getting pics but the camera doesn't show it clearly enough to share.

12 answers to this question

I'm using soot to describe it, but probably not the best choice of words. I don't see anything front to back indicating an exhaust leak while on the ground. I'll take a closer look next time it's up on a lift. It's strange how it is evenly 'coated' on both lower rear fenders and wrapped around the back end. Maybe aerodynamics play a big part. IDK

Could be just the aerodynamics... I know right after I dropped the Avy the tailgate became a magnet for dirt... not just dust, but GRITTY road dirt. It was weird b/c when it was stock height it stayed perfectly clean... now even a short drive around the block makes the rear look like it went thru a dust storm.

Just goes to show how dramatic an effect airflow around a vehicle can have on where it gets dirty the most.

Happens to me too. With mine being White Hot it's just as evident as your MSM. I'm pretty sure it's just brake dust/road grime, and there's not much we can do about it. Like Dylan said, aerodynamics can have weird effects and on these G8s it seems to suck the dirt and deposit it on the rear bumper.

Hmmm.... No "soot" on mine. Of course mine's black. Now dust?? Yeah... I get dust... Man... Do I get dust... Working next to a concrete company sucks eggs! Ugh!

Chris

Just went and took a few pictures, and like you said, it's hard to capture, but I assume this is the same as what you're experiencing:

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

This was after just a few miles driving since the last wash, and all on dry roads/nice days. Here's a 50/50 shot after hitting it with Waterless Wash to show the difference:

DSC_0099.jpg

YEP - that's it exactly. I've used WCW to clean it up and the towels are just pitch black with the grime. Oh well - this is a small price to pay for a car I still love as much as Day #1. Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. Mike

Archived