Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lighting Issue

TheCarBarber

Question

So out in the sun, I can see my water spots and swirls excellent. I am about to start my PC polish, but I am having a difficult time seeing the imperfections in my garage. I have a 1000w halogen shop light, which I thought was supposed to make them pop out. Any suggestions? I don't want to put in all these hours only to find I didn't fully correct my paint because I couldn't see everything. I also want a really good before and after photo, but having a hard time capturing it.

I just finished stripping the old wax with alcohol and will now go claybar while I await responses.

Thanks!

Here is how my deck lid looks. I plan to start with SSR since this is this cars first correction, do I need to?

IMG_0654.jpg

11 answers to this question

Play with the angle and distance, each situation is different. Definitely close the garage and eliminate all ambient light... you need to be in a dark room except for your halogen if you really want to see whats going on.

If its a dual head/dual mode light try it with some of the following combos:

one on/one off

both on/one straight at the paint, the other angled away

both on full right at the spot

move closer or farther from the subject

ive decided that the two 500w halogen lights alone are the best option. i still feel like i only see a fraction of what I have seen before though. I guess i just have to get it perfect from what i can see and hope it stands up to the sunlight!

time to get started!

I have about 12 - 2 bulb 4' T8's (fluorescent lights) & about 24 -60 watt spot lights in my garage and they do a pretty good job of showing up imperfections. Usually if I can get my paint looking good in the garage, when I pull outside it looks great!!:thumbsup:

Play with the angle and distance, each situation is different. Definitely close the garage and eliminate all ambient light... you need to be in a dark room except for your halogen if you really want to see whats going on.

If its a dual head/dual mode light try it with some of the following combos:

one on/one off

both on/one straight at the paint, the other angled away

both on full right at the spot

move closer or farther from the subject

I just set up my 1000w halogens and found that by doing exactly as Dylan suggests these lights really help out. I did find that when it got dark outside is when I was able to find the imperfection with much greater ease. Thoss guys certainly heat up the working area.

But of course, I think I need one more.

Archived