Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage floor with no drain

kchisarik

Question

I would like washing in my garage to be an option now that I have a car that warrants it, especially in the winter. My garage has a cement slab with no drain, has anyone used any of the floor mat products available that are supposed to channel water out the door? If so can you please share your experiences? Seems like something like that, paired with some water proof material applied to the walls about 4 feet up might make it doable without a drain.

Thanks.

The original Parking Pad® garage flooring mat — Rib-Channel Surface

12 answers to this question

Sam's club sells one that might work a little better. The only thing I see wrong with the one you showed us is that you're going to have to wash your car in there in the winter. That floor may have issues with moisture collecting and freezing in the grooves. The one Sam's sells is a collection of 4 1/2 to 3/4" black rubber mats that hook together and have open holes for water drainage. I thought about it for my garage as well.

hey i know its a little late after the post but what I do in the in winter is fill by wash buctets up with warm water, put a lid on them, buckle them in my backseat and drive to your local do-it-yourself wash and wash it there with the hot power washer works great. There is also a video of a guy on youtube that does this if your wondering how it works just search winter washing its a black saab 9-3 about a 5 min. video. hope this helps

hey i know its a little late after the post but what I do in the in winter is fill by wash buctets up with warm water, put a lid on them, buckle them in my backseat and drive to your local do-it-yourself wash and wash it there with the hot power washer works great. There is also a video of a guy on youtube that does this if your wondering how it works just search winter washing its a black saab 9-3 about a 5 min. video. hope this helps

We have a winter washing video also. :D

Problem I see is the water getting under it where the seams are. THAT could be an issue.

I would LOVE to find a home with a drain, but I KNOW it's not going to happen. My parents have a drain and I miss it. Dad washes their cars all winter long...

Chris

Here is my thought on that mat thing. I personally think that it isn't going to work well. I think you may have too much water volume to where it is just going to go everywhere anyhow. Unless you have your kid chasing behind you with a squeegee to help push it out the door. You can pick one up at Home Depot, or Lowes.

24 in. Straight-Edge Squeegee-016HDSU at The Home Depot

One thing I have noticed is that if I wash the car just after I pull it out of the garage in the morning it doesn't seem to be as cold both on the car and the body. I do however have a heated garage. If I drive the car around and then come back to wash later it seems to be colder. I also have a hot/cold faucet in the garage and I run the hose outside and wash away.

I wash my car all the time in my garage as long as the temp is above freezing. Regarding drainage, I simply sweep all the water out after I am done drying the vehicle, towards my back lane, and put on the heat inside the garage to dry it out....works for me!:burnout::burnout:

Archived