Customer Service 866.965.0400

playing Around with New Camera

TR6speed

I just purchased a new Nikon D5100 a few weeks ago and still learning all of the different features. I found the Effects called Selective Color. It allows you to select a color or a few different colors in your shoe and isolate only those and the rest of the picture will appear in black and white.

This first shot is a few months ago in a new shopping center parking lot.

ColorShot.jpg

Now this was taking a little while ago in the same center. The red is not as bright and vibrant and I found that even though I selected the red on the car the camera will pick up any other color that is close to the selected color. I am sure I can do better, but not bad (in my opinion) as I play a little more.

BlackWhite2.jpg

BlackWhite1.jpg

Grats on the new camera! I am loving my D5100 so far. Just having a ball with it.

Here is a good, quick how to guide for it from Ken Rockwell. His site is a great one for referencing questions and looking at honest reviews of different pieces of gear.

Nikon D5100 User's Guide

The only thing I really do different from his setup is that I use Large Fine for picture size to go along with the RAW format. He seems to think memory is some expensive hard to find commodity. ;)

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and added it to my favorites. Do you do all your photos in RAW? I was under the assumption that RAW was not always a standard format and each camera maker used their own coding for their RAW format. I realize it does use up more memory, but as you mentioned memory cards are not expensive.

Thanks Mike. You still planning on beinga vender and show people how great Adams Products are at our show in October?

Sure am! All the paperwork is right here, read to hit the mail! Everyone should know that its possible to make their car look as awesome as yours!

I played around a little in Photoshop Elements and also Paint Shop Pro. here are the results, but I am hoping to get the camera to be a little more color sensitive.

Original:

BlackWhite1.jpg

Coral Paint Shop Pro:

BlackWhite1Touchup.jpg

Photoshop Elements 9:

BlackWhite1PhotoElements.jpg

If you can, get to the manual mode and fiddle with the white balance. You'll get truer colors that way, although it will take some experimentation to get just the right setting. Also, I like driving my ISO (film speed) as low as possible. You'll need longer shutter times or more light, but I've found that colors are more true then as well.

Best part is, you can mess around with all this stuff and not waste one penny on film!

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and added it to my favorites. Do you do all your photos in RAW? I was under the assumption that RAW was not always a standard format and each camera maker used their own coding for their RAW format. I realize it does use up more memory, but as you mentioned memory cards are not expensive.

I shoot in RAW+ Fine/Large. On a 16 gig card that gives me about 450 pics.

I have used the RAW format in both PaintShop Pro and PSE9, so I know that both will work the Nikon RAW format.

Even better is that you can process the RAW file on the camera itself manually. This saved me big time last weekend when I shot an outdoor show and shine with the white balance set to florecent...........:willy:

See here for the before and after using the RAW pic and in camera manual processing.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/lounge/13255.htm

Neat!

On a side note, every fricking time I see you screen name I think "Triumph". I must be too old, and/or need to get my brain re-calibrated.

That is the screen name I started with when I first got my vette. I am sure seeing you have a vette that you know it is Torch Red 6 Speed. It is not for a TR6, although a fun car. I will admit I never thought of that when I pick that name. May think about changing it.

Nick, head on over to Ken Rockwell's site. He does really good reviews and how to write ups.

He has reviews of both the 18-200 @ around $800 and the 55-200 @ around $230.

In fact, I think he has just about every lense you can put on a Nikon or Canon reviewed as well the whole line of cameras.

Invaluable source for me over the last couple months.

Nikon Nikkor Lenses

Archived