Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pressure applied question

CrawlinTBSS

Question

Still learning with the PC every week. As i reviewd the Adams videos and the PC section, i notice when Adam is applying pressure vs seeing how fast the disc is moving it looks like the disc is going pretty slow. ( watching the 6 black circles as a gauge on speed) is that the kind of pressure to be looking for when doing paint correction? when i try that myself, its seems like its a fairly dang good amount of pressure to get it slow(ish) like in the video. was just a question i was pondering while out here doing a car now. From what i feel is moderate pressure as explained to use, i still visual see the disc orbiting fairly quick. Just trying to learn the correct way. Thanks!

11 answers to this question

First, stick a piece of white or light colored tape or use a white paint marker to make a mark on the edge of the backing plate. That will give you a better idea of speed and will be MUCH easier to see.

You want enough pressure on the pad to allow it to turn, but not too little that the pad isn't able to cut like it's supposed to.

12-14 pounds including the weight of the PC is probably about right.

If you have the new backing plate you can watch the holes, to know how fast or slow it is turning. Practice on a bathroom scale 9-14 lbs.

337.jpg

Adam's Premium PC Backing Plate - For Porter Cable

Adam's Premium PC Backing Plate is simply the highest quality, completely balanced, super-sticky, backing plate, available today!

It's the perfect mate for your Porter Cable 7424 and 7424XP Car Polishers and it's Made in the USA!!

Price: $24.95 AddToCart.gif

I just listen to the machine and wait til I hear that motor bog down a bit and try to keep it about there.

when I first started I was pushing too much at first as I could see my hood caving a little bit. I let up and after a few passes I was alot calmer then when I first started. I can understand you think its spinning to much but also remember its a random orbital not a forced rotation so your not gonna damage your paint by not applying enough pressure. Heck junkman has had kids using it on cars so dont over think it too much and just enjoy it.

Archived