Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protecting Flat Black??

Chase@InsanePaint

Question

The Charger goes into Goolsby Customs on Monday to begin a two week long facelift. Most of you guys saw my thread on the dreaded, horrific, deep scarring waterspots I couldn't get out. So I'm taking this opportunity, as the Charger goes in to get those taken care of, as a chance to get a few custom things done!! Here's the list:

#1) Remove washer nozzles from hood, and all lines underneath. Weld up nozzle holes and repaint.

#2) Shave third brake light & keyhole on trunk. Hand fabricate new low profile metal spoiler into trunk and repaint trunk. Trunk will be totally shaved and clean.

#3) Color match tops/sides of new Flashtech LED halo tinted tails, to blend in with the rest of the car.

#4) Wet sand & re-clear any "problem" areas on entire paint job (the few that exist, lol).

#5) Hood, roof, and trunklid top all painted flat black.

So anyway, as she comes back with some new flat black body panels, I'm wondering how to care for them?? Obviously I can't use any "shine enhancing" protectants. So what does Adam's offer, that will PROTECT the flat black surface?? Yet NOT enhance shine??

10 answers to this question

have you seen the thread Dylan did on how to care for vinyl stripes? i would suggest you use the same method they used on the flat black stripes on the camaro but i wouldn't use the SVRT on paint.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/12124.htm

if this is incorrect, someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in tomorrow morning!

I regularly wash a friend of mine's Audi A4 which he had resprayed flat black and it's a simple 2 bucket wash and detail spray. I put some Brilliant Glaze on a mirror as a test and while it does shine it up a bit, it remains flat black. As far as I know, you won't turn it into gloss black no matter how hard you try. It is a different "color" to begin with. His is single stage paint with no clear.

- Darryl

I don't think I would do anything to it but wash it. However, you are getting a clearcoat on it. A flat clear is something I have never dealt with. I know flat paint with no clear is a wash only, no polish or wax.

Play around with a hidden spot and let us know what the results are.

now that i think of it, MSS wouldn't be a bad wax/sealant to test so the paint lasts longer, since it is going to be clear coated. its just a sealant, not sure if it has a lot of properties to "gloss" the paint

might make that satin realy "pop" in the sunlight.... the way you would want satin to "pop" of course!

Archived