Customer Service 866.965.0400

Greeting from Atlanta

Jeffrey.Humble

1000% newbie. Not only to the forum, but to the whole serious detailing world. I probably won't post much as I don't have any knowledge to add. I am sure I will have questions. Don't worry I will try to search for my answer first. :-)

I will just be a sponge (all puns intended)....

Of course I will practice anything I learn on my wife's car first. ;-)

Welcome Jeff!

We were all in your position at one time. Do yourself a favor and watch the videos by Adam and Junkman. Lots of useful information and tips. That being said, don't be afraid to ask questions!

I am still trying to figure out what to buy. LOL

My wife's car is silver, & my car is black. Mine is beyond hope, so I am concintrating on hers. I will be getting a new(ish) car early next year. :-D

My head is swimming from all the info on the videos. Guess there is a little more to this than a bucket of Dawn, a sponge & some turtle wax. ;-)

:welcomebanner: to you Jeff, from another Atlanta resident (or at least metro Atlanta). I'm out in Grayson, but frequent Decatur regularly, and grew up there.

There's another fellow who posted here recently in the Alpharetta area.

I'm just starting to get my feet wet regarding polishing. I have a Flex on the way and will hopefully be able to try it out this week.

I've been doing a lot of the other good washing and detailing practices already, but am amazed at how much info and tips you can pick up just from a few hours on all the free videos here.

I haven't even turned the Flex on yet and am addicted.

In one of Junkman's videos, he said "it's theraputic". Very fitting for me.

I am still trying to figure out what to buy. LOL

My head is swimming from all the info on the videos. Guess there is a little more to this than a bucket of Dawn, a sponge & some turtle wax. ;-)

Sounds like the Adam's Basic Wash & Wax Kit would be a good start. As many will tell you, buy the biggest kit you can afford, as those are the best value, but starting smaller works too.

My wife's car is silver, & my car is black. Mine is beyond hope, so I am concintrating on hers. I will be getting a new(ish) car early next year. :-D

If you are thinking of the PC or the Flex I would suggest working on the black car that is going away to perfect your technique.

I haven't ordered anything yet. Trying to figure out what I need, & then get the financial adviser (wife) to give me the OK. :-)

Then do her car first! There are also lots of uses for the products (APC, DS, and Glass Cleaner) inside the house too!

Unless the clear coat is peeling, you might be surprised how much improvement you can get on your black paint. Adam's products are pretty amazing, and as said above, the black paint will really help you work your skills, as black shows everything (good and bad) easily. Sounds like you are going for a porter Cable - good move. Once you get over the initial nervousness, you will find it friendly, gentle/controllable, and effective.

Dylan, we are almost neighbors!!!!! I live in Lawrencevlle, right on the Grayson line.

I haven't ordered anything yet. Trying to figure out what I need, & then get the financial adviser (wife) to give me the OK. :-)

We ARE close. I'm probably closer to Lawrenceville than Grayson.

:banana:Hmmmm, I see a detailing weekend in our future, especially if you go with the Porter.:banana:

I'll have the Flex so perhaps we can learn on both, and find applications where one tool is preferred over the other. I like how the PC can use smaller 4" pads. I'm a little concerned using the Flex on the thin A pillars.

"Briand" is the Alpharetta guy on the forums, BTW.

Unless the clear coat is peeling, you might be surprised how much improvement you can get on your black paint. Adam's products are pretty amazing, and as said above, the black paint will really help you work your skills, as black shows everything (good and bad) easily. Sounds like you are going for a porter Cable - good move. Once you get over the initial nervousness, you will find it friendly, gentle/controllable, and effective.

The clear isn't coming off or anything. I have not really taken care of it from day one. It's a black Celica, but the hood & spoiler are gray. Not a primer gray, just a crap non shining gray. I will be getting them painted to match the car soon. Then I will probably go crazy trying to get the car to look top notch (as much as an 11 year old car can). Trying to get the most $ for it when I sell/trade it. Gonna do the old detail for retail. :-)

I am gonna do the Porter Cable thing. If I screw it up too bad, I can get that part repainted too. Hahahahaha

We ARE close. I'm probably closer to Lawrenceville than Grayson.

:banana:Hmmmm, I see a detailing weekend in our future, especially if you go with the Porter.:banana:

I'll have the Flex so perhaps we can learn on both, and find applications where one tool is preferred over the other. I like how the PC can use smaller 4" pads. I'm a little concerned using the Flex on the thin A pillars.

"Briand" is the Alpharetta guy on the forums, BTW.

You probably noticed your property value went down substantially when I moved it. LOL

I too see a detailing weekend coming as well. :-)

You probably noticed your property value went down substantially when I moved it. LOL

I too see a detailing weekend coming as well. :-)

Ah ha! So YOU were the reason. It's depressing; everytime I look on Zillow our homes have dropped $5-10k. We have a rental in Lawrenceville and Snellville too. The Snellville house is down over 60%. ugh.

The only good news is next year I think I can get our taxes lowered a bunch on the rentals; that should help. Our taxes have doubled, yet our home values are 40-60% less.....so effectively 3x-4x the tax rate.

I'm pretty new here also, and I also live in Grayson! Small world.

Get outta here!

So that's 3 of us within a few minutes from each other. We need a detail weekend before the weather is still nice. We should still have a couple of months.

A detail weekend would be great, but I don't have any products yet & don't know crap about detailing. All I would be doing is asking stupid questions. I do that allot....Just ask my wife. ;-)

If you have the time, watch all the videos on the Adam's site and all of Junkman's videos. I've detailed cars a LOT over the years, however, after watching all the videos, there are numerous things I need to tweak.

Plus polishing with a polisher tool of any type is new to me. I'm just going to take it slow for a bit on a lower panel.

Archived