Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any iGeeks may want to jump in...

Chewy

So apple finally has caught up to what Motorola has done with android by releasing the iphone 4s. All if their upgrades have been done by android. One reason why I haven't bought an iphone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

android is not motorola's and motorola is now owned by google

Just to be annoying... it's cute that Apple is making a big deal out of voice commands. We've had it on Android phones for a while. I used to have an iphone 3g and my brother has a iphone 4 (and has been dying to get the new one), and my mom has an iphone 4 (and a new top-end android phone), as well. Back when I had my 3g, it was a joke... my super fancy flagship phone couldn't get picture text messages, while the phone you get for free with a basic contract can send and receive pictures messages all day long. I had my 3g for a YEAR before they finally added picture messaging. Then the 3gs came out and didn't really add anything useful besides a faster processor. I switched to Android when my upgrade was available and haven't looked back. Just so much more you can do with the phone.

But, I'll give this to Apple... what the phones can do, they do well. They tend to focus on reliability and ease of use. The Android phones are a little rough around the edges, but are getting better every day.

I don't think you understand the complexity and AI of siri. The little "cute" voice commands that androids have are in no way even close.

I have a htc incredible, rooted, and completely tweaked and its not gonna hold a candle to the 4S. I'll be ordering one the minute they start accepting orders.

and for all of those that don't know and might find it interesting Tim Cook, the new CEO, is a graduate of Auburn University and is from Alabama.

War Eagle baby!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have been waiting to upgrade since the 4 came out. I've been rockin the 3g for 3 years now. Its been a tank to last that long in my pocket all day. So I was really hoping for a redesign but I'm buying the 4s anyways. Looks like a great phone. It might not be the first to do all the features it has but I bet they got it right and it will outlast the other brands. I will be placing my order as soon as I can!

I've watched the apple keynotes for awhile now.. I remember in high school I would wake up and go get a coke from Mcds, then go watch them (when they were live..much more entertaining)

That said... I was pretty disappointed with todays. No redesign of ANY iPod? No redesign of the iPhone after half a year late for the update? I mean... seems off.

Hopefully they have their eyes set on something much bigger to keep us happy..

I do think Siri will be good though. If it really has the AI that they make it out to be like... Hopefully iOS5 will allow Siri on the iPhone4 and not just 4s.. ? Anyone catch that?

I do think Siri will be good though. If it really has the AI that they make it out to be like... Hopefully iOS5 will allow Siri on the iPhone4 and not just 4s.. ? Anyone catch that?

I sure hope iOS5 will allow it for the 4, i think with the updated from iOS5 I will be very happy with the upgrade from just that. iOS5 out on the 12th or am i missing something?

I don't think you understand the complexity and AI of siri. The little "cute" voice commands that androids have are in no way even close.

I have a htc incredible, rooted, and completely tweaked and its not gonna hold a candle to the 4S. I'll be ordering one the minute they start accepting orders.

and for all of those that don't know and might find it interesting Tim Cook, the new CEO, is a graduate of Auburn University and is from Alabama.

War Eagle baby!

Not exactly what I meant but I see what your saying and yes android voice command will be very competitive to the 4s. Android is great it just depends on which device it is loaded on such as the DROID Bionic Im on now. The 4s can't compete with the hardware side of this phone. I can even access every file on my pc from this phone. No more cords for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm a little upset that it doesnt have 4G, even though they're trying to compare actual download speeds to 4G phones..

I have waited and waited, but the waiting is over, I will be getting my Wife and I the iPhone 4S.. although with my luck, the iP5 w/ 4G will be out within a year..

I sure hope iOS5 will allow it for the 4, i think with the updated from iOS5 I will be very happy with the upgrade from just that. iOS5 out on the 12th or am i missing something?

It doesn't! My father has the gold edition beta on his 4 and it's not there. Siri is NOT just some voice activation software like Android OS has, it'll need a lot more processing power to use it. Plus, Apple needs to have a VERY good reason to switch UP to the 4s from the 4, and Siri is it. If you haven't seen what Siri can do, you need to look. It's REALLY pretty impressive. Especially for the person driving all the time. I will agree, Android has a great voice system, but this takes that and adds A LOT to it. I'm sure Google will have something VERY soon. Come-on, it's Google...

People that compare the iPhone to the Android need to remember that the iPhone LED to the Android OS. The Android OS has also led to iOS getting better and better. Apple tends to build their software to utilize their devices better. Meaning, they don't need to have as big or as powerful of a processor to get the same results. They don't add a bunch of stuff that isn't needed. It's definitely a benefit to build the software AND the hardware.

Android OS will ALWAYS outsell the iPhone OS. Let's be real about it. How can Apple really compete against HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and the rest of them? One against 5-10? Not going to happen... Even Chuck Norris would have trouble with those odds... :D

Personally, I think the iPhone is one of the best looking phones out there, and I've had mine for over a year with ZERO issues. My wife has an Android and prefers iOS so we're switching her. Honestly, I think it's all about what YOU like, and what you have already. With all my Apple devices like the Apple TV, it only makes sense to have the iPhone. Looks like I can play my games and surf using my iP4s and my Apple TV on my flat screen. :reckon:

As for 4G, my guess is Apple is waiting... 4G is really only strong in the larger markets right now, and the big downside to it, is it uses a LOT of power. My guess is they'll figure a way to reduce the power used or find or design better batteries to put up with the usage increase. My thoughts are something that uses 2g or 3g for everything but surfing or streaming. It'd switch to 4G only when needed, and automatically. :thumbsup:

The Evo that Dylan has is an awesome phone. :2thumbs:

My husband heard that they don't let you buy a replacement/service pack for the IPhone. Is that true? :confused:

What's a service pack?

They have Apple Care and Apple Care+ for them. Best warranty I've EVER used. PERIOD!

My laptop screen stopped working after flying to FL this last year. They had to stow it under the plane because all the overheads were taken. (I was NOT happy about that) So, I brought it in to Apple. No questions asked, they replaced the whole screen and aluminum back at NO CHARGE. 385 dollar savings to me. :bow:

I've personally NEVER had an issue with any one of my 4 iPhones.

Chris

War Eagle baby!

Reason I can't see myself going to an iPhone. I love the Incredible and the ability to root and run a custom ROM. I do also like Android OS and the amount of tweaks and functionality it provides.

I will give it to Apple though. The iPhone looks great and iOS is more user friendly for newer users.

Reason I can't see myself going to an iPhone. I love the Incredible and the ability to root and run a custom ROM. I do also like Android OS and the amount of tweaks and functionality it provides.

I will give it to Apple though. The iPhone looks great and iOS is more user friendly for newer users.

I hear this a lot, and that's what's great about Android being open. I don't have an exact figure, but I'd guess that people like yourself that like to tweak the OS are in the minority. Most of us like to buy something and have it just work out of the box. I also prefer the reliability of OEM programing. I don't want to have any issues with it. It's the same reason I'll mod certain things on my DD, but forgo others. I need dead nuts reliability and the lack of worry.

Chris

IDK what to do, IDK if I should get the 16GB or 32GB..

on my BB I have an 8gb card in it, about 400 songs, 2000 pictures, a few small videos, and I have about 3.5GB left.. BUT, my apps are stored on the phones internal memory for it..

I dont know how the iPhone works as far as using up the memory and whatnot.. anyone understand my concerns? any insight?

I hear this a lot, and that's what's great about Android being open. I don't have an exact figure, but I'd guess that people like yourself that like to tweak the OS are in the minority. Most of us like to buy something and have it just work out of the box. I also prefer the reliability of OEM programing. I don't want to have any issues with it. It's the same reason I'll mod certain things on my DD, but forgo others. I need dead nuts reliability and the lack of worry.

Chris

Yeah very very few people come in ever with rooted phones..they all want Gingerbread on the phone and want it to work just how they bought it. Very few people root them really. even though it is fun a lot of them do not run stable.

i rooted my incredible the day after i got it. installed a different rom, blah blah blah. its only fun once. now i'm bored with it and ready for an upgrade. i was deciding between the bionic and the 4s so i had to hold out for apple. now that i have seen what the 4s has it makes for a pretty easy decision. if i bought a bionic it wouldnt really be anything different then what i have now and 4g isnt all that strong in the town where i live. If i am going to spend 2-300 dollars on something i want it to have that new and exciting feeling, not just the " well its got a bigger screen and sometimes 4g" feeling.

on my BB I have an 8gb card in it, about 400 songs, 2000 pictures, a few small videos, and I have about 3.5GB left.. BUT, my apps are stored on the phones internal memory for it..

I dont know how the iPhone works as far as using up the memory and whatnot.. anyone understand my concerns? any insight?

Well, you will only have 14.3gb straight out of the box. It's 16gig but IOS eats 2.7 gigs of it.:mad:

I'm debating the samthing. I don't use many apps BUT I recently lost my IPod and I have 9.5gigs of music. 5 gigs left for pics, movies, apps and games is a lot but at the same time it isn't. I don't want it to be slow because all of my memory is used up.

Verizon is offering me 50 bucks for my turdberry and 20 for my old palm so I might just bite the bullet and get the 32gig. Although 130 bucks for an iPhone is intising. And I find my self using spotify more and more. Ugh, it's a hard call:willy::willy:

I'm going to be a nerd and help crash Verizons website at 3am so I need to make a decision really soon:confused::willy:

Just to be annoying... it's cute that Apple is making a big deal out of voice commands. We've had it on Android phones for a while. I used to have an iphone 3g and my brother has a iphone 4 (and has been dying to get the new one), and my mom has an iphone 4 (and a new top-end android phone), as well. Back when I had my 3g, it was a joke... my super fancy flagship phone couldn't get picture text messages, while the phone you get for free with a basic contract can send and receive pictures messages all day long. I had my 3g for a YEAR before they finally added picture messaging. Then the 3gs came out and didn't really add anything useful besides a faster processor. I switched to Android when my upgrade was available and haven't looked back. Just so much more you can do with the phone.

But, I'll give this to Apple... what the phones can do, they do well. They tend to focus on reliability and ease of use. The Android phones are a little rough around the edges, but are getting better every day.

It's been addressed a little bit so far, but you can't compare Siri to Android's voice commands. It's a different beast. The iPhone has actually had voice commands for a long time. You could do some basic stuff like "call home", "play <song>", etc. Siri is also a natural language parser. So it can act like a personal assistant. You can do something like "Book a table for six at 7pm at Morton's" and it'll book the reservation for you. It's the next step up and we're getting closer to having Hal in our pockets. I had a demo of the tech behind it about a year ago. It's some really cool stuff that came out of a Stanford and DARPA project. There's a lot of potential with it.

Since I have been an Apple convert since about 2005, I've got a shoot ton of songs and movies and TV shows. With iTunes, it makes it VERY easy to upload them to the phone, so they don't need to be there all the time. I use Flickr to upload my pics now that MobileMe is going away, so I can basically just keep all my big pics "on the cloud" at Flickr and when I need them, BAM!

16gb will work. I currently have 17.99 gigs on mine. 15 gigs of that is music and that's only a couple of playlists. lol

Zagg is a big screen protector out there. I've used them, and learned to hate them. I've found SlickWraps to be the best...

Here's a link to JUST the screen protector

HD Screen Protectors (1 per order)

I prefer these for their ease of application, clarity, and smooth feel to the finger. They feel just like the screen.

Chris

I ordered a white 16gb this morning! Decided to mix it up and go white. I woke up at 3 to try and order one, had troubles, woke up again at 4 and tried, still wouldn't work. So then when I got up at 8, I got the order to go through. Cant wait til it gets here. Tired of rockin the 3g for all these years.

Already ordered the 32gb at 3am, lol

as for the screen protector, thats all I need right? (provided I have some type of snap case, looking at the below)

my Dad has one like this for his Droid Pro that he likes

apple_iphone4_holster_cov_kickstand.png

I ordered a white 16gb this morning! Decided to mix it up and go white. I woke up at 3 to try and order one, had troubles, woke up again at 4 and tried, still wouldn't work. So then when I got up at 8, I got the order to go through. Cant wait til it gets here. Tired of rockin the 3g for all these years.

you will still be rockin 3G, this isnt a 4G phone

Already ordered the 32gb at 3am, lol

as for the screen protector, thats all I need right? (provided I have some type of snap case, looking at the below)

my Dad has one like this for his Droid Pro that he likes

apple_iphone4_holster_cov_kickstand.png

you will still be rockin 3G, this isnt a 4G phone

But it has close to the same data speeds without the battery issues. We'll see if it actually works!

As for cases... Case-mate has always been a great one. I don't do fanny packs though. It goes in my pocket.

Chris

the otterbox is the best case IMO. i've got the defender series in white for mine and my wife has the commuter series in pink. both come with screen protectors.

just to prove how tough it is check this out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tV2NwC7_9MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived