Customer Service 866.965.0400

First PC detail coming up, need Suggestions!

04bluesilverado

Question

So ive been reading this forum for months now and i've been wanting to detail my truck since i got it last year. I've been reading and seeing the amazing things adams polishes can do so I finally pulled the trigger and have placed 3 orders so far. Its very hard not to order the daily special daily. My birthday is coming up in the middle of november and I have 8 days off so i'm going to take the time to give my truck the attention it needs. My brother already has a Porter Cable so my g/f is going to get me the p/c accessory kit. I ordered the buttery wax daily special as well as the APC daily special last week. I also ordered the SVRT and APC Combo. Before I start this I'm going to pick up a gallon refill of the detail spray and the glass cleaner/sealer. I would love to have everything in the Adams collection but my bank account wont allow it. Since I have about a month to get everything ready, I wanted to let you guys know what my plan was and I wanted your guys input and suggestions. I am also going to be watching the adams videos again as this project gets closer.

Revised Plan

1. Spray the wheel wells and wheels down with APC.

2. Wash truck with dawn

3. Clay bar with detail spray, windows included

4. Alcohol Wipedown

5. Swirl and Haze remover

6. Fine machine polish

7. Machine superwax

8. Apply buttery wax 24hrs later

9. If the clay bar doesn't remove the water spots on my windows then ill try swirl and haze remover. Then clean and seal.

Of course I know this thread is worthless without pictures :lolsmack:

GEDC2878.jpg

GEDC28792.jpg

I have a few questions about using the P/C on the front end. The chrome bumper is metal so I'm assuming i need the metal polish? Also the chrome strip that goes across the front is plastic so can I treat it like paint?

GEDC28812.jpg

Also on the headlights and tailights, can I use fine mashine polish and superwax on them?

GEDC28822.jpg

GEDC28802.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions you have. After I learn what I'm doing with my truck I want to clean up my g/f's 2011 Nitro.

IMG00275-20110924-1356.jpg

She won't let me learn on it. I can't understand why. :lol:

Nice man... I used a PC for the first time this week and got scurred... so I had to come on here to get some pointers. According to Dylan I need to wipe down the car with some alcohol then give it another go.

Truck looks awesome!

The wipedown is with a solution of Isopropyl Alchol(91%) and distilled water mixed 50/50, straight 70% IPA. You wipe each panel down with a mist of this and a MF cloth.

It is another way to get the results (naked finish) of a dawn wash.

I have a question about the metal front and back bumper. I know the metal polish would be the best for it but is there anything i can use from the supplies ill already have?

You can try the FMP on the chrome, it should work. Also, yes, the FMP and MSS will work great on your headlights.

Andrew, :welcomebanner: to the forum! You definitely want to learn on the jeep, then treat your Chevy to your mad :pc: skills! :jester:

Actually, our oldest vehicle is white Grand Caravan Sport and I started practicing on it. I noticed that with white it is difficult to know when the polish had flashed. Watching the live presentations at the PA clinic this past weekend, I could easily see what the polish was doing on the darker demo vehicles. Moral of the story, your girlfriend is lucky, cuz your truck will actually be easier for you to learn on.

Andrew, sounds like you got a good start for your process, it will evolve as you do this more. Just make sure you use the squishy soft side of the PC and you will be fine.:lol:

Looking forward to the after shots.

So I did a two bucket wash today for the first time. I only have one grit guard so far that I used in my rinse bucket. I was also using car soap from walmart that I already had. The suds from the cheap soap didn't last long at all. I will be ordering some adams car soap and another grit guard before my next wash. I also did the sheet rinse for the first time and it was amazing! Next I took the leaf blower to it and I'm pretty sure a few of my neighbors were wondering WTF I was doing. LOL, they just don't understand. Next I got to use Adams glass cleaner and Detail spray for the first time. The glass cleaner and towels are awesome! The detail spray left my truck smooth as glass even though i've never waxed it since i've owned it. I found a big rubbermaid container to hold my stockpile so far.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTMtMjAxMTExMDUtMTczOC5qcGc.jpg

My vacation is coming up soon and I can't wait to try everything else out! :willy:

I do have another question for you guys. I don't have a garage so all of the work will be done in my driveway. I was thinking of doing the wash, clay, wash one afternoon/evening. And then the next morning get up early and start the SHR, FMP, and so on.Just so I dont run out of daylight trying to finish in 1 day. I dont want to try and rush it. I was thinking I could wipe the truck down with detail spray or IPA in the morning before I got started to get off anything that might have settled on it overnight. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

I just received my in and out spray, SVRT and APC Spray. I was wondering if you guys normally dilute the APC or use it at full strength? I'm thinking about washing my truck later and try it out to get the bugs off the front and dried dirt off from behind the tires along the rocker panels. I'm not trying to rip the paint off or anything lol.

I just received my in and out spray, SVRT and APC Spray. I was wondering if you guys normally dilute the APC or use it at full strength? I'm thinking about washing my truck later and try it out to get the bugs off the front and dried dirt off from behind the tires along the rocker panels. I'm not trying to rip the paint off or anything lol.

If you can, make 2 more bottles of APC - 1 at 1:1 and the other at 4:1 (water to APC). You can clean with the full strength APC, but you want to start with the least aggressive method first. Just be careful and don't let the APC dty on the paint.

She won't let me learn on it. I can't understand why. :lol:

Actually, starting on darker paint will help you get your technique down quicker because it is easier to see the swirls than on a white finish. If you really want to go big, start on solid black (cough). Very unforgiving, but also very revealing.

After that blue is sparkling, your GF will be after you to detail her vehicle. And you CAN get a big shine on white. The clincher will be to have her touch the freshly waxed finish (after the claying and polishing). ;)

So this evening I finally got to use my Adams products for the first time. I was racing the sun to wash my truck before it got dark. So i sprayed down my wheel wells, wheels, rocker panels, and front end with APC and let it sit while i got the soap, bucket and hose out. As soon as I sprayed it on the wheels you could see in run down the wheels all brown and black from the brake dust. It worked great. Most of the crud rinsed off and what didn't came off easy with the sponge. I can't wait to try the rest of the products!

Today I ordered the 1 gallon refill of detail spray, the bundle of mf towels and the grit guard. I also picked up 91% IA at target a few days ago as well as a spray bottle from Home Depot. I'm thinking of getting the brilliant glaze as well as a few more single soft mf towels. My collection of Adams products is starting to build up. I can't wait to use them all!

So yesterday I went up to my moms house and picked up my brother's PC. Earlier today my G/F ordered the PC accessory kit for me for my B-Day coming up. And I just got home from work and I ordered the daily special of MF towels and I decided to add some brillant glaze and a hex applicator to the mix. I think I have pretty much everything I need for my first detail. Although after reading around, I have another question for you guys. Do i wipe the car down with the IPA solution after I clay before I start with SHR? Or do i wipe the car down with the IPA solution after I do the FMP but before I put on the MSW? Or Both?

Some people like to wash the car again after the claying process. Some just start polishing over it I believe (not sure that's the best way, seems like it would clog your pads). You could do an alcohol wipedown after claying (I would wash it personally).

I would do an alcohol wipedown after fine machine polish to make sure the oils in the polish aren't hiding an imperfection that will show up later :thumbsup:

Archived