Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Official Adam's Forum Craft & Import Brew Connoisseur Discussion

Team Adam's

i just got back from the liquor store... i found craft beer heaven!

cbd33248.jpg

Stopped by Total Wine today and it looked like this. Way too much to choose from, so I bought a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal rum instead!

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, you really gotta know chemistry to brew your own beer!

that being said, sour ales, aka Lambics, take a minimum of a year to ferment! and like a fine wine they get better with age, except i wouldn't drink one more than 3 years old.

so you have to have patience to brew beer. a sour ale would not be a very good one to make as your first batch LOL! start with an extract kit of your favorite year-round beer style that will take 3 weeks before you can drink it. once you get your brewing and fermenting technique down, then move to partial mashes to get experience using real grain. once your confident in your skills, then you can invest in the equipment needed to all-grain. pretty soon you will have a couple different beers on tap and in the fermenters! i learned a lot from HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. and How to Brew - By John Palmer. read the free book at How to Brew! if your interested after reading section 1, your ready to brew your own beer!

i've made 2 pre-hopped canned kits, 2 extract kits, and 1 partial mash. i started about 3 years ago, but put it on hold for a couple years during my work training and moving around a lot. i picked it back up about 4-5 months ago, and made my first partial mash in November. i'm going to make a texas style blonde ale or my first IPA ready for the summer once my current supply of raspberry wheat is out. i'd really like to make an oktoberfest ready for the fall, but they take 6 months to make and i don't have room for a chest freezer to regulate the temps needed for one. i'm waiting to do my first all-grain once i move into our new home this july so that i have extra space for equipment and a fermentation chamber. next winter i want to make an oatmeal stout :xfingers:

don't make the mistake a lot of beginners made by buying a Mr. Beer kit! those pre-hopped canned kits that Munson's, Mr. Beer, and Cooper's makes are disgusting and really turn people off from making their own beer! find a local homebrew supply store, or visit a sponsor at homebrewtalk.com to get a starter kit!!!

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Speaking of home brew...tomorrow I will be drinking my first batch of brew from the.....Mr Beer.....kit I got for Christmas.

I hope it's not disgusting.

Good luck. I tried Mr. beer once (it's been over a decade) and it was vile. Never got around to making another batch.

Speaking of home brew...tomorrow I will be drinking my first batch of brew from the.....Mr Beer.....kit I got for Christmas.

I hope it's not disgusting.

the first batch is usually okay. its not what you expect from commercial beers. i found on my first canned kits, a squeeze of lime really helped, like i was sipping on some corona's in mexico!

the second and third batches i made were BAD! but i think improper cleaning is to blame on those. sanitizing EVERYTHING is the key to good beer. just cleaning equipment with soap isn't enough

the Mr Beer kits are a great way to get started... if someone gave you the kit as a gift! if i had a do over i would've bought a starter kit and extract recipe the first time i tried to homebrew from a homebrew supply store, instead of my Cooper's starter kit on ebay. no one is going to make award winning beer on the first, second, third, or tenth try at brewing! its one of those things that takes a lot of time and practice!

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Yeah I am NOT brewing Sour! Holy cow, that's too much work man!

I had the pleasure of eating Polish food at a real Polish Restaurant over the weekend to celebrate my Father-In-Law's Birthday. I looked for some craft, or micros from Poland :lol:, and they gave me this:

polishbeer.jpg

Tastes like a cross between Miller Lite and regular Budweiser. My FIL tried to warn me it was bitter....I don't think I'll be bringing him anything from Stone anytime soon :lolsmack:

but i think improper cleaning is to blame on those. sanitizing EVERYTHING is the key to good beer. just cleaning equipment with soap isn't enough

This is the culprit to the majority of "bad" homebrews.

The kit I have comes with no-rinse cleanser, which essentially turns into hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water. Threw all my tools into the keg with the cleanser, shook, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Took extra care to put all my tools on a sanitized plate. Sanitized my bottles and caps.

If the beer turns out bad due to something not being sanitized, I'll be baffled.

BTW, I haven't tried any yet. I've been battling the flu for the last 4 days. :(

This is the culprit to the majority of "bad" homebrews.

The kit I have comes with no-rinse cleanser, which essentially turns into hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water. Threw all my tools into the keg with the cleanser, shook, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Took extra care to put all my tools on a sanitized plate. Sanitized my bottles and caps.

If the beer turns out bad due to something not being sanitized, I'll be baffled.

BTW, I haven't tried any yet. I've been battling the flu for the last 4 days. :(

well don't listen to the instructions that come in the kit! the longer it ages, the better it will taste, up to 3-6 months. i've only done lighter colored ales which take about 2 weeks in the feremnter and 3 weeks in the bottles. i've tried them after 1-1/2 to 2 weeks after bottling and the extra few days really makes a difference.

well don't listen to the instructions that come in the kit! the longer it ages, the better it will taste, up to 3-6 months. i've only done lighter colored ales which take about 2 weeks in the feremnter and 3 weeks in the bottles. i've tried them after 1-1/2 to 2 weeks after bottling and the extra few days really makes a difference.

Yeah, I've read the same. They will have been bottled for 2 weeks this Friday, and I'm going to drink them over time to see how much the taste changes, although I'm not expecting much difference with this West Coast Ale.

I have a Oatmeal stout in the fermenter now that will be ready for bottling this weekend, then an IPA will be next.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to all the Beer Drinkers?:thumbsup:

Stopped in a favorite hideaway Mon Imho everyone needs one of these places where you can get away from everyone you know and just relax.:thumbsup:. The place goes through a lot of Brew and constantly changing and rotating their selections.Coasters Pub aka Beer Heaven.LOL

Fan of Victory Brewing and they had just tapped a Firkin of Cask Conditioned Wallop IPA. Served at Cellar Temp with the old school "beer engine" it was a downright religious experience. Right up there as a personal all time favorite IPA.Wow!

:cheers:

409204_2664244366368_1263769103_32126595_1201416419_n.jpg

Crooked Stave's WWBY....meh really too fancy and too much going on to enhoy it.

Avery's Salvation. Belgian Goldens aren't my first choice for Belgian beer...but this I would buy again! I like the stuff from O'Dell's better to be honest.

My first batch of home brew turned out great. Best way I can describe it is like Bud Light from a can, but without the sweet/metallic taste. Not too shabby for this n00blet.

Oatmeal stout is bottled, been conditioning for 2 weeks now. I may throw one in the fridge next weekend to try it, but I want to let it condition for at least a month.