Customer Service 866.965.0400

simple green as wheel cleaner?

CTSV

Question

So, I've finnaly got my good brushes and they saw their first use today. I don't mind using the adams on the Caddy, but the A6 is another story. It has 156K rims that show their age (they're painted aluminum) and I almost felt guilty using the wheel brush and stick on them alone.

So the Question ; is there any reason 1:1 simple green is a bad idea as a cheap cleaner for the fender liners, wheels and tires?

my recent H2P caliper purchase for the car has confirmed that the rims I have will need to be changed when the tires wear out-- so we can assume I won't be keeping the things more than another year or two.

7 answers to this question

if they are real dirty, initially to get them spotless again wouldn't hurt. but i would suggest you clay bar them and put a couple coats of MSS or Americana on the wheels so that it is easier clean up when you wash them again.

a gallon of APC isn't expensive, and you can also dilute that down 50:50 to conserve it.

I did hear about its corrosive properties on bare aluminum but since the rims were painted and trashed i didn't give it much thought. maybe I'll just use some cheap store bought cleaner or the left-over car wash.

thanks Dylan!

a

Simple Green will do an excellent job on a moderately dirty wheels and/or engine compartments.

It will have an ell' of a time trying to remove baked on dust/dirt/debris from the same surfaces.

This is where APC will benefit you and leave the SG behind.

I rarely, if ever, use Adam's APC mixed greater than 1:3 ration.