Customer Service 866.965.0400

I was hit by someone in my small dorm parking lot.. any suggestions?

Sandalwood

Question

I was parked on a curb in my dorm's small parking lot. I came in around 4am after working on school work. The lot is always full because there are only about 30 spots, and 40+ cars. Every curb is marked yellow, so the curbs fill up with cars anyways.

Before I get hammered for parking on the yellow line, the dorm is in the middle of a ghetto (literally, we have 24 hour security outside), students still have been held up by gunpoint if they park outside on the street.

Towards the very left of the lot is a dead end, where I parked. My passenger door was exposed to cars backing up. Theoretically which ever car hit me had to be backing out to the left, and essentially hit me with their right back corner. It's all I can figure, because there would be no reason to back out to the right and go left - it's a dead end.

I don't think I can get the cops involved because it's a parking lot, and I was on a yellow line... I'd just wind up getting a ticket. So guys, what do you think I should do? I see two cars in the lot that are prime suspects of the accident, based on their bumper damage. I'm really aggravated over this, because my entire door is messed up, it's going to be ate last $1500 in damage, and I JUST replaced my front and back bumper from two other incidents, one a hit and run.

Last time I got hit by someone in a parking lot, I called the cops, and got a $150 ticket for "unsafe backing" simply because the other person was backing out. They didn't have insurance, and quote told me "you're **** out of luck" so I had to fix it myself. Fool me once, shame on me, but I'm not going to fall scam to the legal system again- it's a joke. The only thing that wound up happening was they got some extra tickets, and we both had to go to court. It was a PITA for me and I got nothing out of it.

Thanks for any advice..

9 answers to this question

have you learned your lesson yet for parking there?

is there anywhere else you can park? i know my college had several parking garages for people living in the dorms. maybe park somewhere better and just ride a bike? thats what i did when i was in school.

My advice to prevent future damage would be to park somewhere else as well, and walk or ride a bike the rest of the way. I routinely park in the furthest corner of parking lots just to prevent door dings. I realize parking is at a premium near dorms, so I'd park a mile or two away if I had to if it would keep my car safe®.

Whats your insurance coverage like?

If the repair exceeds the cost of your deductible seems like a no brainer. Make the claim. They won't need a police report, just call it in, let them know you were in a parking lot (don't have to be overly specific as it pertains to the yellow curb) and you were clipped. The other driver didn't leave a note so it would be hit and run.

If your policy includes coverage you should be fine.

That being said, if the lot does have cameras, and you were parked illegally theres nothing to stop the insurance company from looking at those as they attempt to investigate the claim. They see you parked illegally then you're SOL.

Tim- You own a VERY nice car. It seems to be obvious to me that as long as you park in that lot, expect to see additional damage done to your car. And when it happens again you're gonna kick yourself, like you're doing now. I know with my Challenger, there are certain lots that I refuse to park in. I just avoid those places. Your situation is different though.

May I suggest you look into purchasing a beater. I know that it may not be possible in your situation, but maybe you could pull it off. Store it down the street if you have to. If it gets dinged, so what. Doing this will give you some peace of mind if nothing else. I would never park my car in this lot. I'd worry about it too much. :) Don't you worry about your car being parked there?

If a beater is out of the question, find somewhere else to park. What other choice do you have?

Tim- You own a VERY nice car. It seems to be obvious to me that as long as you park in that lot, expect to see additional damage done to your car. And when it happens again you're gonna kick yourself, like you're doing now. I know with my Challenger, there are certain lots that I refuse to park in. I just avoid those places. Your situation is different though.

May I suggest you look into purchasing a beater. I know that it may not be possible in your situation, but maybe you could pull it off. Store it down the street if you have to. If it gets dinged, so what. Doing this will give you some peace of mind if nothing else. I would never park my car in this lot. I'd worry about it too much. :) Don't you worry about your car being parked there?

If a beater is out of the question, find somewhere else to park. What other choice do you have?

Those are my thoughts, too. Sometimes you're in a situation where you just can't keep a nice car -- between the lack of spaces, the crime and the haters, you're fighting an uphill battle here.

Maybe leave the car at your parent's or rent a garage somewhere, then get a get a beater for daily use? Either way it would be cheaper than constantly repairing every little hit your car takes there.

I mean, were all in the same lot - so it's narrowed down to about 40 cars.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some tips on how to figure out which one it most likely was.

That is what I was trying to do when I asked if there might be security cameras that caught it, then you would know...

I mean, were all in the same lot - so it's narrowed down to about 40 cars.

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some tips on how to figure out which one it most likely was.

It looks to me like you have two options here. Number one would be to check with security and see if there are any cameras in the area. Maybe you'll get lucky. Option number two would be to find an eye witness.

Understand, you just can't go around accusing people of something unless you are 100% positive they did it.

Now, if it were me here's what I'd do. If there is no video, then I would place a placard on my car asking for info on who damaged my car. Phrase it in a nice way. Maybe you'll get a note or better yet a confession. Maybe the guy has guilt feelings, maybe not.

Then go out and buy a beater or find a different space. The chances of more damage is good.