Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches after waxing

Weezerj

Question

OK guys, trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my washing and waxing so that I can stop putting on scratches.

I washed the car with the two bucket system with grit guards and a foam gun.

I used a microfiber type wash mitt, one for the top surfaces and one for the side.

I air dried with a drying unit

Waxed with carnuba wax and terrycloth type applicator

Removed wax with microfiber towels.

After I was all done, I can see scratches that are new with florescent light. They are light and not real easy to see without the florescent light, but there none the less.

I know that a PC (to be ordered soon) is the way to remove them, but I cannot figure out how I got the scratches to begin with.

Any ideas? I can try to get pics tonight if needed.

thanks,

Jess

18 answers to this question

OK guys, think I have it figured out.....

I washed it again tonight and sure enough, more light scratches. Very light, but there....the only thing that touched the car was water and the wash mitt.

The car was very clean every time and I washed the heck out of the wash mitts. So, I guess its the crappy wash mitts. Now I have to get a PC, learn how to use it, correct the scratches and correct my washing technique to prevent them in the future....

Time to watch the PC videos for the 128th time...

weejerz, try this: take your microfiber cloth and some detail spray and find a spot with a scratch. take note of the direction. note the direction the scratch is running and then spritz and wipe at a 90 degree angle to it. if the scratch changes direction, it is just some greasy residue from the wax. this fooled me once. go over it well with detail spray and it'll go away. this always happens when i use maguires ultimate wax.

ron

Hey Doug,

Just outta curiosity, have you tested the idea that maybe it is just the water soaking into the grime to loosen it?? You could save yourself some money if ya find it is just water rather than using your adams shampoo. Just a thought, as I have read on this forum many times that soaking your car with adams shampoo does nothing more to the dirt than just soaking it with water. I will try to find the threads for ya and post the links when I get some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Lots of information here,.... based on what I have read I think its the quality of the wash mitt. I take a lot of care in cleaning the mitts after use and during the wash I take my time and devote plenty of effort to the rinse and wash buckets to make sure I am not transferring dirt back to the car.

I guess when I order my PC polisher I will have to include an adams mitt or two...

I have tested this technique and by the time the 2nd foam is on the finish, the level of grit has been reduced. I say, try it and see for yourself - maybe the type of environment you live in doesn't need this.

If it didn't work, I sure won't foam it twice. :)

Well there's not much left for me to say, lol. You've had some super knowledgeable cats chime in. But I would have to agree, that's it's either the quality of the wash mit/towels themselves, or how clean they are during use. Are you keeping the wash mits clean dirung the wash process??

And like a couple others mentioned, with each wash, you could be uncovering scratches (as whatever glaze or wax they used to hide those scratches slowly strips away) that the dealer had on the surface.

Look at the bright side, at least you notice them, and have a plan to fix them!! And you have us!! :)

I may be wrong and certainly do not intend to bad mouth anthers technique, different folks do different strokes, but, currently I do not foam the car Twice. that seems like a waste of car shampoo to me because, as we all know, the car shampoo does not have any active dirt cleaning agents in it to lift dirt off the vehicle. the agitation from the wash mitt is what actually lifts dirt off the finish and that is when adams shampoo gets to work. the shampoo surrounds the dirt particle protecting your paint from it. so foaming the car, as far as I can deduce, is just a different, easier way to deliver the protective shampoo to the finish. it is by no means a necessary step in a swirl free wash. you can get a swirl free wash without a foam gun.

quality wash mitts that are "cleaned" properly and quality applicators, AND good technique will lessen the amount of swirls you'll induce during washes.

And, inevitably you will induce some swirls, just the nature of the beast - at least that is my opinion. I live in a dusty environment.

Use the Adam's wash pads (1 for upper, 1 for lower with 2 buckets and 2 grit guards) and use the grit guards often during the wash of the car. For washing I do a hard rinse, then a foam gun presoak, then another hard rinse, then another foam, and only then put a wash pad on the finish, and it really seems to help. Some may think it is excessive, but it seems to work for me. That extra 2 minutes of foam just sitting on the finish really loosens up a lot of junk, and it leaves when I do the rinse, before I ever refoam and put a wash pad to the finish.

I agree with Ralph and Dylan. Could be a combo of both, but I'd almost bet it would be the wash mit. I had used one before I found Adam's that I got from Autozone (lol) and it always put scratches on my paint.

Microfiber wash mit on upper, are you 100% sure it is clean? I would not use this type on upper though, use the Adams new mit or white pads they sell for upper. Are you using good quality microfiber not cheapo ones.

Just my 3 1/2 cents

Yes, it was clean

No, it was cheaper

Link to the Adams new mitt?

OK guys, trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my washing and waxing so that I can stop putting on scratches.

I washed the car with the two bucket system with grit guards and a foam gun.

I used a microfiber type wash mitt, one for the top surfaces and one for the side.

I air dried with a drying unit

Removed wax with microfiber towels.

After I was all done, I can see scratches that are new with florescent light. They are light and not real easy to see without the florescent light, but there none the less.

I know that a PC (to be ordered soon) is the way to remove them, but I cannot figure out how I got the scratches to begin with.

Any ideas? I can try to get pics tonight if needed.

thanks,

Jess

Microfiber wash mit on upper, are you 100% sure it is clean? I would not use this type on upper though, use the Adams new mit or white pads they sell for upper. Are you using good quality microfiber not cheapo ones.

Just my 3 1/2 cents

I bought a little 3 pack of wax applicators that were a little different than normal.....can't say I put much thought into at the time.

....but, I applied the wax in small little circles, the scratches are longer and much straighter....

This is possibly your issue right here... any particular reason you're using terry cloth to apply? Quality microfiber or fine waxing foams are going to be the safest things to use for application and removal of products. Far safer than cotton terry cloth.

Also, like Iomcamaro mentioned over on Camaro5 - since the car is new its also possible you washed away whatever filler the dealer had used on the car prior to your purchase.

Archived