Customer Service 866.965.0400

We Are Wall Street

Z71_Denali

LOL do your homework who wrecked the American economy? The 1%, make them pay there share.

I just don't get it, so all the EVIL corporations and people that made something of themselves that pay almost ALL the taxes now and supply almost all the jobs for people, they should be punished? Yeah, let's make them do more, how dare the be successful LOL. It is hard to even debate with a mindset like this. I'm not saying they are perfect, but it is damn sure better then what the liberals are doing to this great country :patriot:

2004 Breakdown from the IRS, top 25% pay 85% of the federal taxes :) FWIW, I would love for anyone to pay more so I didn't have too, but come on, half the people in this country don't even pay any federal income tax, is that fair !!?? Straight flat tax across the board, that's fair :2thumbs:

Who pays what by income percentage:

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Interesting facts -- actually supports both sides in this argument... neither side is completely right or wrong.

2004 Breakdown from the IRS, top 25% pay 85% of the federal taxes :) FWIW, I would love for anyone to pay more so I didn't have too, but come on, half the people in this country don't even pay any federal income tax, is that fair !!?? Straight flat tax across the board, that's fair :2thumbs:

wow, top 1% pay 40% of the taxes that go to the gov't! thats ridonkulous! if someone isn't satisfied with that, then they're just being greedy!

i'm all for a flat percentage tax. can't forget that keyword percentage. that is what will make it fair. even with a flat tax rate i can still see the top 1% contributing at least a quarter of the overall total.

wow, top 1% pay 40% of the taxes that go to the gov't! thats ridonkulous! if someone isn't satisfied with that, then they're just being greedy!

i'm all for a flat percentage tax. can't forget that keyword percentage. that is what will make it fair. even with a flat tax rate i can still see the top 1% contributing at least a quarter of the overall total.

Yes good point :2thumbs:

I'm all for fairness, too, but think what would happen of all those MASSES of people in the lower half suddenly lose 20% of their income to taxes... The 9 percent income tax and the 9 percent sales tax. Unless the rich business creators really step up and create a lot of jobs and start paying higher wages, people living paycheck to paycheck literally won't be able to afford to pay their rent or mortgages, won't be able to repair their cars, won't be able to feed their kids, etc... And all that's just going to worsen the housing crisis, increase the wellfare rolls, cause a lot more people to be uninsured, etc. and it's going to make a lot of half decent towns into slums and homeless tent cities.

That said, I think romney's got the right approach -- nibbling around the tax code at the edges to make gradual changes. Reform is clearly needed, but with a scapel, not a sledgehammer. :cheers:

One other thing on "fairness": which half of the economic population makes up an overwhelming majority of the brave young men and women in our military? Fairness isn't just a monetary concept. I bet most millionaires would gladly pay a few percentage points in higher taxes rather than send their little Chad and Nicole off to war.

Tie a mandatory 2 year military service commitment to the flat tax idea and see how that files.

If they pass a flat tax, I think you will see a lot more interest in a progressive tax code. The problem is you can eliminate all the discretionary spending in government except for defense, social security, interest on debt, and other entitlements like medicaid and welfare, you will may just get close to balancing the budget. Eliminating welfare is not even going to really solve the problem.

The problem now is just the economy is not generating the revenue as fast as some components (health care related expenses) and getting new jobs is going to be tough since cutting the budget by trillions will increase unemployment in the near term. That wasteful spending is maintaining jobs. Even those no loads (welfare, etc) are spending the money on something and that create jobs.

2012 Federal Budget

Income: $2.67 trillion

Manadatory spending: 2.4 trillion includes Social security ($ 761B), debt ($242B), medicare ($485 B), medicaid, unemployment, welfare

Note: we pay into social security, medicare, unemployment.

Discretionary: $1.3 trillion ($553 B defense alone)

Total spend: $3.7 trillion

There is a lot of easy targets but there is no politically easy one to get even close. Balancing the budget does not solve the problem near term. It just helps keep the debt component from growing.

i got this in an email several years ago around the 2008 election time.

I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it is, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table ..everywhere!

Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket.

And others birds were boisterous and loud. They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be... quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now let's see. Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, and free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen.

Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services; small apartments are housing 5 families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English.

Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to 'press one' to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than 'Old Glory' are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder. If you agree, pass it on; if not, continue cleaning up the poop!

To go along with Ryan's 'bird feeder' post:

I was listening to NPR the other morning and they had a interview with Chris Matthews, who has a new book on JFK out. During the interview I was surprised to hear about Kennedy's Keynesian economic policies. He also noted that JFK was critical of FDR's New Deal saying "they put emphasis on rights rather than responsibilities." - a concise summation of one of our problems.

Archived