Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wish I had a 3car garage. Thinking about this.

Chase@InsanePaint

If you guys have any carport recommendations for me, I'd be very appreciative. I've found this bad boy, and looking for other options.

ShelterLogic 20 x 13 Foot Garage-in-a-Box - Carports at Canopy Center

I have a space between my house/garage & where the fenced-in backyard begins, that's where I plan to put this. Where it will be located, is less prone to high winds etc, because it's nestled between two higher ground surfaces. Make sense? I'm just trying to find a quality unit, that can stay up year-round.

I see how picky you are man, especially with your cars from your posts. I would think it might look a little tacky in my yard, if it was used for an extended amount of time. Not to mention the neighbors would probably break out the neighborhood handbook to find a reason to make me take it down! lol I see what your trying to do, maybe someone will have a good idea for you. I would also have the same concerns you addressed with wind whipping it around.

Here's where I'm at.......

For me to add on/build on to my garage, I'm looking at $10k. For a carport built to match the house (brick, shingles, et), it's $5k. With a hopefully baby on the way, that's just not in the cards. Where this carport would be located would be a very nestled area, almost unseen, as it would only protrude from the house about 3-5ft. If I can get one, in tasteful dark earth tones, I think it would actually look okay aesthetically. And I'm not worried about it flying away, with where it will sit, and with the anchors, I should be A-OK.

And unfortunately, a garage lift isn't an option, because my garage isn't tall enough. :(

I understand the money thing, I have two kids, with another due in January! haha I'm sure it would do the job, and sounds like it would be hidden. As long as it doesnt blow around, sounds safe, I'd hate to see the damage done if it took off in the wind, lol!

The lift would be cool as $h!T though!

It's definitely something I have yet to find. I know when I go overseas I can't fit my truck in my mom's garage so I have to store it. But I think that it would be a good investment for you and me. Nothing too fancy just something to keep the sun/water off of. Only thing that worries me about this is the space underneath that might let wind blow dust and dirt up onto the car. Other than that I really like it. May be something I purchase in the future.

I've had several Shelter Logic units over the years. Like everything else, they have different levels of quality of available. The cheaper ones I've had didn't last long, but their top of the line ones were great. You MUST secure them well to the ground using an anchor system. I had one get twisted like a pretzel during a storm in NJ once. Thankfully it never touched the car as it lifted from the ground and was tossed around. Never had a problem with heavy snow on them either. Just go inside with a broom, push gently on the cover and the snow slides right down the sides.

My only complaint is that they are prone to condensation on the inside of the cover. They do have some models with gable vents that helps keep air moving through them, but in my experience, the condensation ends up dripping on whatever is being stored in them.

Are you trying to come up with something that keeps the car "inside" or just something to keep the rain and sun off it? It's its the latter, what about some sort of Awning? Those sun setter awnings are retractable you could have it come out over the garage doors, they are up to 18 feet wide I believe. And you can even tie them into a motor and wind gauge so if the wind gets to a certain speed it will automatically retract so it's not damaged.

Those garage lifts are sweet. My garage only has an attic over it, eventually I want to make it a vaulted ceiling with 2 or 3 flush mounted lights on either side and then put a lift in. My only drawback is the people who lived there before moved the dang washer and dryer out there. I have to build a nice laundry room off the master bedroom I think. :D

I have the 20x12 Garage-in-a-Box and think that it's well worth what I paid for it. It's obviously not as good as a real garage, but for the most part keeps my G8 protected. I don't have to wash nearly as frequently now. It's stood up to the wind we've had without any issues, though that's always my biggest worry with it, and it's survived the snow fine too (not that you have to worry about that in Alabama.) I installed the gable vents and I haven't had any condensation issues, though it may be more humid where you live than here.

Thanks so much fellas. Here's my thoughts.....

Not selling a car, so that's out, lol.

The ground where this will be going is cement.

I won't do aluminum, it looks cheap or like it belongs out in a farmyard, not a driveway.

Gonna take some measurements tomorrow morning and go from there.

How handy are you? this is such a simple structure to build. Grab some buddies, pizza and a keg (for the end of the day beer and nails dont work well together :lolsmack:) and lumber. 2x4's to be 16 on center, single bottom plate double top plate and then a 2x8 roof 24" on center & 3/8" OSB some tar paper and roof with shingles which meets minimum code. then for the time being sheath the extorior walls with 4x8 t90 panels and paint it to match your house and stand in awe of your work.:2thumbs:

You could have this built in a good 4 day weekend and should be in the area of $2100 probably even cheaper if you are down in alabama, us northerners get hammered on building supplies. Also, draw the plans, get a shopping list together and walk into lowes/home depot. give them them the list of materials and say you need contractors pricing. in 2-3 days they come back with their best price. You dont even need to be a contractor:2thumbs:

Seriously, i would build a permanent structure, you could even make this semi permanant if you have to. i just cant get over car ports, and all that weight above your car held together by aluminum tubing. One good wind/some light snow and its all over.

I debated this for housing my jetski. i am just going to build a shed. 10x20 is costing me $3,000, but im going to add windows, drywall siding and a roll up door some lighting and a cheapo speaker system so i can work on her in the shed. plus we get a decent amount of snow so i rather not worry. Granted a jetski is far different then a car:lolsmack:

Archived