Customer Service 866.965.0400

Doing it right!

pdisme

Question

So I recently decided I wanted to know how to take care of my cars myself. If you'd seen my 'handy work' from past attempts, you'd know I have no business putting wash mitt to any painted surface, which is why I've just had a great detailer take care of my cars for years. That has worked out well but his time is pretty limited and I've been fortunate enough to increase my car count, so they go dirty for months, hence, time to give things another try.

I started doing online research, found Junkman's videos, those lead me to Adams and this forum. I got in touch with Junkman and we worked something out for him to actually come teach me how to do things right. That of course requires the right equipment so I got a little crazy in the Adams store and Amazon. If you look close (click the pic for larger version) you'll probably think something is out of place; that was part of our arrangement LOL.

IMG_1630.JPG

P.S. i've used that Plexus plastic cleaner... i don't think it works very well!

I'm not any good at cleaning my cars (yet) but one thing I've been able to do successfully is use the Plexus to clean the clear bra's on my cars; it foams up when you spray it on and the dirt seems to get sucked right out of the material when you wipe it away. Haven't found something that works better on clear bras yet.

I'm not any good at cleaning my cars (yet) but one thing I've been able to do successfully is use the Plexus to clean the clear bra's on my cars; it foams up when you spray it on and the dirt seems to get sucked right out of the material when you wipe it away. Haven't found something that works better on clear bras yet.

well i only used it on a jet ski, as suggested by the shop i bought the jet ski at. little did i know at the time!

I always just used simple green on my waverunner; it didn't complain. :) I learned about the Plexus from a Porsche dealer about 12 years ago when I had a convertible with a plastic rear window. It turned yellow after the first year and Plexus cleaned it up nicely. I've only ever used it on that rear window and clear bras so not sure if it works well on other things. My guess is it's just good on porous clear plastic/urethane.

... If you look close (click the pic for larger version) you'll probably think something is out of place; that was part of our arrangement LOL.

That was the FIRST thing I noticed! lol.gif

Sooooo... looks like you are going to be in for a serious class. You better bring it because I take no prisoners! You are not only going to learn the right way, but you are also going to have some serous hands on time. You might want to break out a video camera because there is no way that you are going to remember everything that I'm going to drop on you. And while you're trying to get your practice on, I'll be sitting back with a tall glass of that grape juice on ice.

It's a good thing I'm only staying for the weekend. That grape juice really moves me after a few days. :D :D :D

Damn, that "jukman" gets around lol :lolsmack:

2 Pac ain't got nuthin' on me! :jester:

How much clay did you get? I always have a spare can around in case I drop it - for what it takes to arrange my detailing time, a spare claybar keeps me working in case I get fumble fingers. Great setup with the PC ~and~ the Flex.

AJ will do a good job mentoring you and showing you the ropes!

I hope the paint on the GTR is just as good. Nissan is not known for having the best paint. We will definitely experiment on that one.

The paint on the GTR sucks from what I've read:

GT-R paint quality? Self healing paints? - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

I do have a clear bra on all the front-facing parts though so at least there's that lol.

How much clay did you get? I always have a spare can around in case I drop it - for what it takes to arrange my detailing time, a spare claybar keeps me working in case I get fumble fingers. Great setup with the PC ~and~ the Flex.

AJ will do a good job mentoring you and showing you the ropes!

Got three of the jars, which I assume just hold one bar each. My most recent order isn't in the picture; there's a few more things I picked up like extra clay, some more of the wash pads, etc.

Excellent - always good to have extra clay. You probably won't go through a lot of it with the condition of your vehicles (being detailed by someone else) but it is good to have spares.

You only will use 1/3 to 1/2 bar in your hand for claying. You will check your clean finish (i.e. do I need to clay) with a sandwich baggie. If you need to clay, you will feel the bumps on the paint through the baggie (it magnifies the bumps a bit). I also use the baggie to check my claying, as I don't go 'animal' on the paint while claying, but wipe the finish (like I am cleaning a window) with the clay and then check my work. I don't want to go overboard and add marring to the finish if I don't have to.

Don't forget to clay the glass, too. Gets off all the little crud stuck on the glass, like dried up bug guts etc. :)

So everyone is in awe of your awesome order, i dont think anyone has taken notice to your amazing garage :D:jawdrop::jawdrop: Congrats, aside from the GTR are the lambos stick:xfingers:

I will trade audio video knowlege/gear to be able to come and stare at your garage. I promise, ill wipe up any drooling off your floors :lolsmack:

Archived