Customer Service 866.965.0400

Silverado or Tundra or Titan.....

Grubrunner

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan isn't a bad truck, but it's going to be replaced in the next year or so.

You must not be a Ford guy huh?

Personally, I'd go Eco-Boost V6 in a Ford. I like what Ford has right now though.

I'm more of a car guy. I go for what I like, paying little attention to brands.

Chris

Are you looking at getting a Regular Cab, Extended Cab, or Crew Cab?

Crew Cab, 4X4, big V8 with [some] bells-n-whistles.... but it hast to be white in color. I love my full-size pickups trucks white.

You must not be a Ford guy huh?

I was always a Ford truck man..... until they bought out these horrendeous looking new models.

I've had three Ford full-size pick-ups in the past nine years [HERE is my last one I sold prior to purchasing my Tahoe] but the shape and overall appearence of the new models makes me puke.

Ford have lost me.

tundra's weak frame:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yrieIkkTx7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zRfE_XAk2mE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crew Cab, 4X4, big V8 with [some] bells-n-whistles.... but it hast to be white in color. I love my full-size pickups trucks white.QUOTE]

Well if you really want a big V8 then you should look for a 6.2L (403HP), but good luck they are very hard to find. Most of the Cre Cab V8's you see have the 5.3L (315HP).

The 5.3 is a great engine and is plenty capible

Crew Cab, 4X4, big V8 with [some] bells-n-whistles.... but it hast to be white in color. I love my full-size pickups trucks white.

I was always a Ford truck man..... until they bought out these horrendeous looking new models.

I've had three Ford full-size pick-ups in the past nine years [HERE is my last one I sold prior to purchasing my Tahoe] but the shape and overall appearence of the new models makes me puke.

Ford have lost me.

sounds like a Sierra Denali AWD would be perfect for you! or a Silverado LTZ Z71 with the 6.2

Some interesting comments to read some are quite amusing!! I personally have had my Titan for 5 years and love everything about it and I have had no major problems with it at all!! I liked it so much that I went and bought a Armada a couple of years later.

I have had a Dakota, and a Silverado and now the Titan, I will never drive anything else it is a very roomy cab with lots of leg room. You should wait and get the new Titan with the diesel in a couple of years. The Tundra's are nice and the Silverado as well but my pick would be the Titan!!

Some interesting comments to read some are quite amusing!! I personally have had my Titan for 5 years and love everything about it and I have had no major problems with it at all!! I liked it so much that I went and bought a Armada a couple of years later.

I have had a Dakota, and a Silverado and now the Titan, I will never drive anything else it is a very roomy cab with lots of leg room. You should wait and get the new Titan with the diesel in a couple of years. The Tundra's are nice and the Silverado as well but my pick would be the Titan!!

Titantruckguy; You mean to tell me that there is someone else from little old Orrstown PA on here! Wow! Howdy neighbor! :cheers:

Stay far far FAR away from GM. you will regret it.

i HATE tundras, the way they look annoy the hell outa me.

Titan is a really really nice truck. Sadly purchasing the Nissan will be more american then buying a GM. There are plenty of threads that have my opinion of GM after my lemon of a 2010 sierra. GM's a joke now. i just got back from vacation and I rented a 2012 buick Lacross CXL. The thing was a POS, everything was plastic the doors were hollow and the way it drove reminded me much of my sierra. a day before we dropped it off at the airport the check engine light came on, this is a car that had 1200 miles on it (my light came on at 600 in the sierra). It had to be a trany/engine issue since it wouldnt shift right or wouldnt respond to throttle while on the highway.

my lemon lawyer that helped me out with my truck said that since the bankruptcy 8 out of 10 lemon claims are GMs. I would have never looked at nissan for a work vehicle but when they came out with the NV (which is based off the titan) For kicks took a look at it. I fell in love with it, it is a quality vehicle (even for a work van) and service has been pronominal (1st year model quirks) i have a v6 and the engine pulls as hard as any V8. infact if you didnt know any better you would think it had one.

While it was in the shop they gave me a loaner titan for a few hours and i left truly impressed by it. it was an SV package without the navigation. It is a quality built vehicle. my only beef with it and my van is the shift stalk which feels ridiculously cheap. Other then that everything is well built and the doors close with a THUD. im a button snob and the buttons and knobs feel good in it. Plus its really cleverly Layed out.

Ohh and BTW: Nissan cares about you. after my quirks Nissan corporate called me personally apologizing for the issue and asked if there was anything they could do. I said no just make sure you keep up the good CS and they responded with a lifetime of free maintenance and reimbursed me a month of payments for my troubles. Hows that for CS!

GM is dead to me & my family, and GM has been in my family's blood since the 50's.

I have had 2 Titans now, and I love both. For the interior space you can't beat the Titan, unless you go with the super crew cab from the Tundra. I've ridden in Chevy's and they are nice, just not as comfortable to me, 6'2 220lbs. I say take them all for a ride back to back and see what you think. I know someone mentioned maintenance costs of the Titan, and I've had only basics, oil changes, a set of tires and due to narrowly avoiding dented sheetmetal I bounced the right rear off a curb pretty hard and bent the axle shaft. So drained and filled both diffs. My wife and I are now looking at replacing her Caliber and she really wants a pathfinder.

In 2009 I went truck shopping. I drove a Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Titan, and Tundra. They were all the 2 wheel drive crewcabs, with leather interiors. I drove them all on the same 20 mile test drive route, which included Interstate driving at 70 mph, country road driving at 55 mph, and in town driving. In my opinion the Tundra drives like a 3/4 ton truck with a stiff suspension. Going around a corner at 65 mph on a Interstate with washboard bumps I felt like I was going to loose the rearend. A little unnerving. But everything else was nice. Comfortable seats, quiet interior, but gas mileage reports were not very good. The Chevy was extremely noisy. I heard several rattles, coming from the interior, and the wind noise was horrific. I then drove the GMC. It was definitely the quietest vehicle, of any I drove. I really liked the way it drove, found out from the GMC dealer that it weighs about 500 lbs more than a Chevy because of extra sound deadening. Then drove the Ford. I like the way the Ford looks, really liked the way it drove, and it is almost as quiet as the GMC. Seats were really comfortable, and like the way it sits up above traffic. Then drove the Titan. Wife didn't like the seats, she said they hurt her back. So didn't really give it more consideration. I drove the Dodge and didn't care for it. I thought it was a little noisy. I have had bad experiences with Dodge in the past, so I wasn't comfortable buying it. I ended up purchasing the Ford Supercrew Lariat with 20 inch rims for a couple reasons. I have had Fords in the past and have had very minor issues with them. I had a screw left in the passenger side door that would roll around, and a rear shock leaked and had to be replaced. The customer service has never been anything but excellent to me. I am also a Farm Bureau member, and got $500 off the bottom line price. So with rebates and discounts I paid $2500 less for the Ford then I would have the GMC. I average around 20.5 mpg on the highway. This is calculated taking miles driven divided by gallons used. The trip computer says it is closer to 21.5 mpg. When I do more diving around town it drops, not sure how much, but it does go down. I have 43000 miles on the truck, and have been very pleased with it. My second choice would have been the GMC. I am not trying to knock any other brand vehicle, this is just my experience in July of 2009 driving them all on the same test loop. I suggest you do the same kind of test drive, so you can test them all on the same playing field. Good luck with your decision.

Great reply people and I read each one thoroughly, absorb it and appreciate them moreso.

I've driven the Tundra at decent lengths as I mentioned earlier. I've never driven the Titan but plan to do so this weekend for several days. I have not driven the Silverado but I do own a 2011 LTZ Hoe so I'm guessing, while the ride, comfort and so on is some indication as the Silverado is merely a pickup version of the Tahoe, it's by no means a true and accurate indicator.

I'm hoping to get the opportunity to hop into a LTZ model Siverado in the next couple of weeks and have it for a full 24HRS to make a decent evaluation.

For the record: I have driven the new model Ford F150's. I had the opportunity to drive a 2011 FX4 Screw earlier this summer for about an 180mile round-trip. They drive and handle very well in pretty much every aspect with an [extremely] well put together and spacious interior. I just cannot come to terms with their ghastly and godawful exterior appearence.

curb weight on a silverado crew cab 2wd is 5099lbs.

curb weight on a sierra crew cab 2wd is 5134lbs.

that doesn't look like a 500lb difference to me. Salesman will say anything to make a sell. i think he was just blowing smoke up your ***! but i would believe him if he said 35 lbs of extra deadening material :)

all this talk about trucks, i started looking at white w/ tan interior sierra denali AWD's online at local dealerships. found a fully loaded used 2011 for $43k, and a well equipped new 2011 for $45k with my supplier discount and rebates. i hinted this to my wife... i might've gotten the okay to go look at them today. we'll see how she feels after we get off work at lunch time :D

EDIT: i spoke too soon. i mentioned it to her a min ago, and she just said, "NO!" and hung up :explode:

curb weight on a silverado crew cab 2wd is 5099lbs.

curb weight on a sierra crew cab 2wd is 5134lbs.

that doesn't look like a 500lb difference to me. Salesman will say anything to make a sell. i think he was just blowing smoke up your ***! but i would believe him if he said 35 lbs of extra deadening material :)

all this talk about trucks, i started looking at white w/ tan interior sierra denali AWD's online at local dealerships. found a fully loaded used 2011 for $43k, and a well equipped new 2011 for $45k with my supplier discount and rebates. i hinted this to my wife... i might've gotten the okay to go look at them today. we'll see how she feels after we get off work at lunch time :D

EDIT: i spoke too soon. i mentioned it to her a min ago, and she just said, "NO!" and hung up :explode:

Yeah I would believe the GMC has a little more sound deadening, GMCs are supose to be just a little bit nicer than the Chevys and thats how it always has been. 35lbs makes sense.

All this truck talk has got me looking too. I just priced out a 2012 LTZ Crew Cab with the 6.2L, man I want one so bad. Im so happy now if you get a 2012 LTZ with the Ebony interior it comes with brushed aluminium instead of the fake wood grain:banana: And there is an option for cooled seats.

I wish I could get a new truck right now, but im probably 4 years out now that my wife is going to go back to college. They are coming out with the next body style in 2014 so Im excited to see what they do

Yeah I would believe the GMC has a little more sound deadening, GMCs are supose to be just a little bit nicer than the Chevys and thats how it always has been. 35lbs makes sense.

All this truck talk has got me looking too. I just priced out a 2012 LTZ Crew Cab with the 6.2L, man I want one so bad. Im so happy now if you get a 2012 LTZ with the Ebony interior it comes with brushed aluminium instead of the fake wood grain:banana: And there is an option for cooled seats.

I wish I could get a new truck right now, but im probably 4 years out now that my wife is going to go back to college. They are coming out with the next body style in 2014 so Im excited to see what they do

ohh yea, 2012s are getting heated and ventilated seats... i think i'll just hold out a year or two after the 2014 new body style rolls out. my truck is already loaded. the only things that are going to keep me happy for now is getting that 2012 LTZ grille and new door speakers/sound deadening. the mod bug has once again healed my new car fever! :help: me!

When shopping for trucks earlier this year, we narrowed it down to between the Silverado and the Tundra. Ultimately we went with the Tundra. We liked both, we really did, but I am very happy with our decision. Power-o-plenty, reliable, and comfortable over every surface I've driven it over. We have a Limited Super Crew, and it is huge inside there! Our family of 5 fits with ease. I know a few people have commented on the looks of the Tundra, and actually felt the same way. Too chubby looking for the height, but raising it up makes a world of difference. We installed a 3" leveling kit up front and looks great.

Of course I am Bias but I think the Silverado is a much much better Truck.

I am not a fan of the looks of the Tundra or Titan, and there is just something wrong with a full size Japaneese Truck. To the the Titan is just not a real full size truck, and I think the only thing the Tundra has going for it is the Engine has quite a bit of power.

If you get the Silverado make sure it has the 5.3L! The 4.8L is not a very good engine it has less power and gets worse MPGs. The 6.2L is a beast and would be my engine of choice, but they are harder to find.

Are you looking at getting a Regular Cab, Extended Cab, or Crew Cab?

You may also want to check out the GMC Sierra. IMO they are better looking that the Silverado

If I were to rank all the full size trucks based on performance, capability, features, looks, quality etc.... This is what I would say

GMC

Chevy

Ford

Toyota

Dodge

Nissan

I have the 4.8, and it only is short 13 hp from the 5.3. I dont feel its underpowered at all with the 302hp 305 tq. What hurts mpgs a bit is the antique 4 spd over having the new 6 spd.

I have the 4.8, and it only is short 13 hp from the 5.3. I dont feel its underpowered at all with the 302hp 305 tq. What hurts mpgs a bit is the antique 4 spd over having the new 6 spd.

IMHO the 5.3 is underpowered with the 6 speed automatic unless you've got the towing gears (3.42's on the Tahoe). I would go for the 6.2 if mileage isn't your worry.

Archived