Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to tackle these swirls....

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

I have a customer that has a 07 Mustang with glossy vinyl stripes. He wants me to do a full correction on the car but I'm not sure how to approach the vinyl stripes. The stripes are swirled as bad as the paint. I watched Dylan's video but it really doesn't address stripes in this bad of shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

14 answers to this question

Vinyl doesn't correct well... stay very mild... don't go above FMP/White Pad... work slow and be careful. You damage vinyl it can't be fixed.

Thanks Dylan. I'm guessing you're talking about the PC? That's what I needed to know. The customer has already priced a new kit so if I can't get them out he's going to restripe anyway.

Here is one clear case that fill and glaze should be used after a very light pass with FMP. I do not have a clue where to find such a product, but you might try a body shop supply house.

The price I quoted, and he understood that I may not be able to correct the stripes, I'll hit them with FMP and BG and let that be good enough.

What bout going at the stripes by hand with a little more aggressive polish? Dylan whats your input on that idea?

Pretty much it just mars them up really bad and potentially cut right thru. Many vinyls are top coated, not thru and thru, meaning once you get thru the very top part of it you get into a white base material.

Vinyl is not like paint... it doesn't polish out very well.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Wow Len...

I have the answer.

Peel em off and have em PAINTED ON!

Dunno why people like stickers on cars.

I was wondering about a similar situation. Got an 04 Corvette with clear-bra all over it. Nose, Rockers, Mirrors. hood... ugh.

Unsure how to deal with that crap. Wanna just peel it off since he parks under a tree anyway.

How much was that option from the factory to get Vinyl?

LOL and it costs what to get them painted on? For a decent job I gotta believe it's only a couple hundred more for painted stripes.

Back OT.....Yeah, FMP and BG are pretty much it there...good luck man!

Archived