Customer Service 866.965.0400

Penn State FIRES Joe Paterno & Graham Spanier

Grubrunner

State College isn't far from here. The school is doing what it has to do, not necessarily what it wants to do. They're going to clean house and remove anyone and everyone who might have been involved. Joe Paterno's record speaks for itself. Did he make the wrong decision in not telling police? Absolutely. Morally he should have. So should the kid who told him about what Sandusky was doing. He's just as culpable. And so should every person who knew about it including the parents (and some knew). Joe Paterno isn't the one who's the criminal here. He did what he was legally bound to do. Wrong moral decision yes, but not wrong legal decision. We need to get back to focusing on what Sandusky did to those boys. He's the criminal.

Tonight the students rioted in State College. Not the first time. But they're just putting a bad light on the school. Overturning the news van and tearing down street lights won't get Joes job back. I imagine they'll cancel the football game this weekend just to avoid this kind of nonsense.

It's a bad situation, but it's a real shame that the focus has been taken from the victims and placed on a football coach. Screwed up world.

The whole thing disgusts me... though the actual perpetrator of the crimes has the biggest price to pay its still only marginally more (IMO) than JoePa or anyone else who had knowledge of the situation.

How any of them didn't feel compelled to go to the police doesn't register with me. From the first witness all the way up the ladder.... having knowledge of the horrible and unspeakable things Sandusky did to those kids and not acting is an unforgivable crime. Every single one of them should stand trial as accessories to the crime. Having knowledge that a crime has been or is going to be committed and failing to report it to the authorities is ILLEGAL.

I sure hope Paterno thinks a lot about how he would have reacted if it were his kids/grandkids in that shower being molested while he spends a couple of years in jail along with all the other administrators that failed to act.

I agree, the kids at PSU are "rioting" and making the school look bad. But they're just kids, reacting to what they think is an injustice in firing Joe. But with perspective of 20 years or so, or when they have kids, I believe they'll regret not being more upset about the coaches' actions (and lack there-of), and the'll agree that firing him was the thing that had to be done.

That said, Joe's leadership was a huge letdown. He could have/should have done so much more, and there's no way he didn't suspect that things were very wrong with Sandusky. You don't spend 15+ years in locker rooms, on the field, in planes and hotels with a guy without picking up on suspicious behavior. Plus, I'm guessing there was a complicit, in unspoken understanding going on... Sandusky was told he wouldn't be the next coach, yet he didn't look elsewhere for a job? Everyone was OK with the status quo and looked the other way.

Read the grand jury report. It's disgusting what that guy is accused of doing. It's sad that Joe's life's work goes out on such a low note, but tough -- right now it shouldn't be about him, it should be about getting those kids the help they need and making sure this kind of thing never, ever happens to another kid ever again. :mad::mad::mad:

I agree, the kids at PSU are "rioting" and making the school look bad. But they're just kids, reacting to what they think is an injustice in firing Joe. But with perspective of 20 years or so, or when they have kids, I believe they'll regret not being more upset about the coaches' actions (and lack there-of), and the'll agree that firing him was the thing that had to be done.

I was thinking the same thing seeing the riots on the news this morning. They interviewed a student and he kept saying "He did what he was required to do, he shouldn't be punished for that" Something tells me we ask that guy for an interview when he has kids of his own and he'd understand better.

doesn't surprise me one bit that the student rioted up there, joe pa is penn state plain and simple. Now that hes gone of course the kids are gunna slip sh*t, it may be the wrong thing to do but they are all college kids so its not that big of a surprise. I know joe pa shouldn't get off at all for knowing that this was going on and not informing the police, but IMO im with the person above who said the attention should be paid toward the guy who actually molested the boys. If everyone gets pissed at joe pa your just feeding directly into what the board of trustees wants you to do, use joe pa as a figure head for all of this and put the blame on him, letting everyone else that was involved to be quiet in background. Whats almost ironic is jerry sandusky wrote his book a little back and the title of it was "Touched", not even kidding. I hope sandusky gets into jail, cause the inmates will kill him fast when they know about his history with kids. if not hope he rots in jail.

The Joe Pa situation kinda reminds me of final episode of Seinfeld, when they were arrested for doing nothing.

Jo Pa was fired not because he did anything wrong, he just did not do anything right.

He should have reported what he knew to the Police instead of letting it go up the ladder at Pen State

And yet they're keeping Bradley and McQueary. Yeah, that makes sense. Hopefully they'll be gone as well after football season is over. This was curious though....In a news conference this morning, Bradley flat out said that they'll play this weekend, but not sure if they'll finish out the season. Does that mean that he knows he's only filling in on Saturday and there's not enough time to get a coach for the last two games? There's still more to this story to come out yet. Still more firings coming I think. As a parent, I think it should be a clean sweep of anyone involved with the football program while Sandusky was there. But also anyone who was a trustee, administrator, etc who knew ................ and did nothing.

doesn't surprise me one bit that the student rioted up there, joe pa is penn state plain and simple. Now that hes gone of course the kids are gunna slip sh*t, it may be the wrong thing to do but they are all college kids so its not that big of a surprise. I know joe pa shouldn't get off at all for knowing that this was going on and not informing the police, but IMO im with the person above who said the attention should be paid toward the guy who actually molested the boys. If everyone gets pissed at joe pa your just feeding directly into what the board of trustees wants you to do, use joe pa as a figure head for all of this and put the blame on him, letting everyone else that was involved to be quiet in background. Whats almost ironic is jerry sandusky wrote his book a little back and the title of it was "Touched", not even kidding. I hope sandusky gets into jail, cause the inmates will kill him fast when they know about his history with kids. if not hope he rots in jail.

I totally agree... theres a special place in hell for people like Sandusky and if there is any justice in this world he'll be subjected to an especially painful death at hands of prison inmates.

My beef with JoePa and anyone associated with the University that knew anything about this back when it started thru when it became public is that they KNEW what was going on and didn't act. Had any of them done the right thing and contacted the police it would've stopped back in 1998, instead there are more victims -probably more than we'll ever know about- and thats still a crime. Sure, not as heinous as what Sandusky did, but still pretty bad when you know thats happening and don't act.

You have to somewhat believe they were putting the reputation and finances of the University ahead of little kids! I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks thats the right way to go... even worse, fully knowing that the guy is a pedophile they continue to grant him access to the university, house him, even support his charitable organization (Second Mile) which -as sick as this is- was for AT RISK CHILDREN!!

One person knowing and not saying anything once could be dismissed as a mistake. MANY people knowing over a long period of time and not reporting him looks more like a coordinated effort to protect the University in spite of the nature of the crimes.

And yet they're keeping Bradley and McQueary. Yeah, that makes sense.

I don't understand that either... but then again I don't understand how you see something like that and don't physically intervene at that moment. Just seems like common sense... I can't even be sure I wouldn't get completely violent given the circumstances.

really really REALLY hope this is not true.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-donors-2011-11

You have to somewhat believe they were putting the reputation and finances of the University ahead of little kids! I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks thats the right way to go... even worse, fully knowing that the guy is a pedophile they continue to grant him access to the university, house him, even support his charitable organization (Second Mile) which -as sick as this is- was for AT RISK CHILDREN!!

One person knowing and not saying anything once could be dismissed as a mistake. MANY people knowing over a long period of time and not reporting him looks more like a coordinated effort to protect the University in spite of the nature of the crimes.

bingo.

And yet they're keeping Bradley and McQueary. Yeah, that makes sense. Hopefully they'll be gone as well after football season is over.

I have to think that it's right to keep a couple of the coaches on now, so hopefully some of the football players can have a shot at closing out the season on the field -- it'd be a shame if they couldn't play because of what the coaching staff did. But once this season is over I bet either Bradley and McQ are quietly shown the door, or else they cooperate with investigators, get cleared (if innocent), and help rebuild the program.

With all this breaking and Paterno gone, I'm sure Penn State's not going to attract too much talent over the next few years.

No way. McQueary is the one who wittnessed Sandusky assauting that 10 year old. McQueary was 28 years old then! He wasn't some freshman student. Why didn't he go straight to the police? Why didn't he stop Sandusky immediately and protect that kid? He's more culpable than Paterno in my mind.

And Bradley's been there 33 years, so he was well aware of what was going on. You think Paterno didn't talk about this with his assistant coach? They should all be fired NOW. Penn State needs to show that they care more about the kids than the $$ that the last 3 football games will bring.

No way. McQueary is the one who wittnessed Sandusky assauting that 10 year old. McQueary was 28 years old then! He wasn't some freshman student. Why didn't he go straight to the police? Why didn't he stop Sandusky immediately and protect that kid? He's more culpable than Paterno in my mind.

And Bradley's been there 33 years, so he was well aware of what was going on. You think Paterno didn't talk about this with his assistant coach? They should all be fired NOW. Penn State needs to show that they care more about the kids than the $$ that the last 3 football games will bring.

Oh, I didn't realize that -- you're right. With the exception of needing someone to run out the season and to be there for the team, those guys should go, too.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf

^If any of you think Paterno got the dirty end of the stick go read this.^ If your opinion of him doesn't do a 180 then you need psychiatric help.

The fact that that 28 year old did nothing to stop an act of rape on a 10 year old boy speaks volumes to the man's character and upbringing.

IMHO the whole stinking lot of them will end up in a dark horrible place when they pass from this earth.:mad:

Please say a prayer for those kids this monster sodomized.

This is just another case where people think that sports and athletes are above the reach of the law. Why would Paterno or the coaching staff risk losing MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars when they can try to cover things up. It just shows that if you break the law or commit major NCAA violations and try to cover it up, it's only a matter of time before if catches up to you. I honestly don't think that there is an honest university out there anymore.

Archived