Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can't get swirls out of '99 black corvette paint using PC.

mchicia1

Question

Man, I am having a tough time trying to get the swirls outta my paint. I have all the required adams products as well as the PC XP. It just isn't strong enough...

I did 6 passes with the green, orange, and white pad EACH on my trunk on speed 6, exactly as outlined in the videos and they did not even budge. Not one bit. I heard the vette paint was extremely hard.

Is there anything I can do outside of taking it to a detailer? :(

25 answers to this question

Trust me, I know from the many years that I spent in L.A., that truck has food that would put Taco Bell to shame! Some of the best steak and pork burritos that I have ever ate came off the "roach coach" (as we use to call them). lol.gif

This so true all over the country. The roadside grills and BBQ's and the mom and pop dinners have the best food anywhere.

I'm coming to the mecca of Hispanic crusine and they actually have Taco Bell's? lol.gif

Keep the grape juice chilled! :thumbsup:

Okay, I'll upgrade you to Tampa Taco Bus:

taco%20bus%20tampa.jpg

LOL, it's a real restaurant, not lying: Tampa Taco Bus, Tampa Mexican Food, florida mexican food, tampa bay mexican cuisine, mexican food, tampa mexican, tampa latin food, tampa burritos, tampa tacos, taqueria tampa

:iagree:

Get the Junkman involved. This guy is the guru of paint correcting. Heck, he will even come to you and show you how it's done as long as you pay travel and feed him steaks and :cheers: every night.

:lolsmack:

I hope that's not the case, I only bought grape juice and some taco bell gift cards for him this weekend.

Man, I am having a tough time trying to get the swirls outta my paint. I have all the required adams products as well as the PC XP. It just isn't strong enough...

I did 6 passes with the green, orange, and white pad EACH on my trunk on speed 6, exactly as outlined in the videos and they did not even budge. Not one bit. I heard the vette paint was extremely hard.

Is there anything I can do outside of taking it to a detailer? :(

My first question is, who's technique are you using? If you are using Adam's, then you're doing it wrong because he uses maximum pressure at a speed of 6 with the PC. If you do that, you should be applying enough pressure to STOP the pad from spinning.

If you are using my technique, then you are still doing it wrong because I don't use a speed of 6 with the PC. Basically, it sounds as if you are mixing the two techniques, which I have said over and over again is a recipe for failure. You cannot do what I do and mix it with what someone else does. The two technique are not interchangeable in any way. You need to study ONE technique and do it EXACTLY as you see it being done in the videos. You will not have any kind of success on Corvette clear coat using a incorrect technique.

Now once you choose a technique to use and do it properly, I would like to see what your results are like at that point.

Any thought of checking out Junkman's slow cut technique? I used this on my 350Z that had a nasty scuff on the hood with great success. Check out his section of the forum for the video thread.

The slow cut technique is used with paste type compounds and the PC as it allows the less powerful PC to make up for its lack of power. This is stated clearly in my slow cut thread. The only reason I used Adam's polishes was because I didn't have any paste compounds when I made those videos. If he had some paste type compounds, I would agree. Since he is using Adam's polishes, he needs to use either Adam's or my buffing technique.

I will be interested to see what Junkman says but from what I recall from his slowcut technique it would NOT help.... The idea behind the slowcut technique is that you are being very gentle or slow when first working with an unknown clear coat hardness. But in this case the OP is working with a known HARD clear, the slow cut technique will be even less impact on the corvette's clear.

From my experience on the C6 clear and removing a couple minor scuffs the vette takes more patience and time than other vehicles I have corrected.

Although you can use it to test the hardness of the clear coat, the idea behind it is as I stated above.

Are you using 9 - 14 lbs. pressure and going slow enough?

And, a speed of 5 if he is doing it the way I do.

to the OP: Where are you located? There may be a local user or dealer in your area that can stop by and give you some instruction. Could possibly that you just need more time. The PC will correct swirls, but it may take pass after pass after pass.

Mike,

I was just going to suggest the same thing. I'm always helping someone out with product or technique, better to teach than to have a dissatisfied customer. Nothing like a little hands on, one on one sometimes.

Bruce

to the OP: Where are you located? There may be a local user or dealer in your area that can stop by and give you some instruction. Could possibly that you just need more time. The PC will correct swirls, but it may take pass after pass after pass.

Any thought of checking out Junkman's slow cut technique? I used this on my 350Z that had a nasty scuff on the hood with great success. Check out his section of the forum for the video thread.

I will be interested to see what Junkman says but from what I recall from his slowcut technique it would NOT help.... The idea behind the slowcut technique is that you are being very gentle or slow when first working with an unknown clear coat hardness. But in this case the OP is working with a known HARD clear, the slow cut technique will be even less impact on the corvette's clear.

From my experience on the C6 clear and removing a couple minor scuffs the vette takes more patience and time than other vehicles I have corrected.

:iagree:

Vette clear is notoriously hard, are you making any progress with each pass?

How severe is the swirling? Any full sun pictures you can show us? Its always possible that you're simply working on defects that are beyond the capability of the PC.

The PC can be quite powerful, actually. No need to buy a new machine.

I'd put my technique with my PC up against a Flex with foam pads and severe swirl remover any day for a cutting power contest.

I have never been able to get all of the swirls out of my Sky with a PC. It sounds like your process is what I did with my Sky and the PC. I have not tackled the Sky with my new Flex [edited] yet. But, you may want to upgrade to a flex.

The pictures will definitly help the forums give a better response.

Are you using 9 - 14 lbs. pressure and going slow enough?

I drew a line with a sharpie on the PC so I can see it spinning...I put just enough pressure so its still spinning and not just oscillating.

I am definitely going slow enough...I do slow, overlapping passes up and down then side to side just like the videos.

Vette clear is notoriously hard, are you making any progress with each pass?

How severe is the swirling? Any full sun pictures you can show us? Its always possible that you're simply working on defects that are beyond the capability of the PC.

The swirling looks just like any other average car with swirls...not noticeable unless you are looking directly in the sun.

I will try to get some pics this weekend.

are you applying the correct amount of pressure each pass and making sure the polish flashes? I know a lot of people ahev said the clear on vettes is hard to correct! maybe even a Flex is needed

Yup, definitely applying enough pressure and breaking down the polish for sure. I was able to get the swirls out on my '06 GTO no problem, but this vette is IMPOSSIBLE, especially being black.

Archived