Customer Service 866.965.0400

My mind is shutting down.

Mysticine

Is it possible for people to reach a point where everything has built up so much and then it just overflows and spills out?

I'm usually a very organized person, I never miss important dates, and have a good eye for details. I'm a police officer so that's all expected of me. Which brings me to my first issue: the other night I was scheduled to do "extra work" (uniformed security) at a local movie theater. I have been doing this job for awhile now and have never had an issue. Then the other night when I showed up there was another officer there. I showed up on a night that I wasn't scheduled to. I felt a bit embarrassed but easily laughed it off and facepalmed myself the entire way back home.

This leads into my next issue: I was recently afforded a very unique opportunity to change my employment. Through some personal contacts and networking, I was recently interviewed for a non police job that would nearly double my current salary and bring me closer to my family. I had another very important interview scheduled for the 16th. Ok, so no problem right, it's only the 14th... It is a problem, because the interview was actually today on the 14th. I called and apologized to the employer and to my personal contact that basically put his neck out for me there. I absolutely hate letting people down and have always thought of myself and been referred to as being extremely reliable.

I don't know what my problem is. In addition to the dates, I haven't been motivated to do anything. I can't motivate myself to work out anymore, don't go out at all, and have difficulty sleeping (with chronic back pain when I wake up lol). If I actually was hired with this other job, I would have to sell my house and relocate (from VA to MD). I also have a psycho ex girlfriend that I split with in January of this year that won't leave me alone.

Is this stress? Depression? Is this something I should see a doctor about? I feel like I was always the guy that kept it together... but I feel like it's all slipping away from me.

:help:

-Shawn

Its STRESS and its not good for your health. Make a Dr. Appt and see what they say. High BP and heart attacks go together.

Your a cop. Get a restraining order on your psycho GF.

Maybe a move would be in your best interest. Then you can get away from her and you also get a pay raise. :thumbsup:

Sounds a lot like my life. I'm in the advertising business and every client job these days seems to be a rush job/client emergency -- no one seems to plan anymore and the internet and FedEx have created an "Anything can be had instantly" mentality in our society. I honestly think that people just aren't wired to be "on" like this all the time, and the pace of everything is going to catch up with us soon. I mean look at it -- the speed and noise has overthrown governments in the middle east, brought our political stem to paralysis, is hammering the world financial markets, etc. What you seem to be experiencing is the same thing, but on a personal level -- there's so much going on that you want to just shut down and not do anything. I don't know if it's technically stress, or depression, or something else (I kind of classify it as general frustration), but the fact that you're talking about it and acknowledging it is a good thing. Don't let it bottle up.

I'm trying to make some progress by prioritizing and accepting the fact that I can't do everything. Sometimes I have to tell a client that I just can't drop everything and get their last minute job done on time. I'm trying to make more time for ME and the things I want to do. Take things one day at a time, and take deep breaths.

Rich

The only thing preventing me from a no contact order with the ex is that we co-own a timeshare (I know, I know.... stupid). Once that is sold it will be as if I have dropped off the face of the earth to her.

I was in the Army for 6 years before this, so I didn't think the move would be stressful, but maybe it is affecting me. I just hope I didn't ruin my chances with the job. I would love to be closer to family (and away from the ex).

As for the doctor... I'm on hold waiting to schedule an appointment.

man stress and depression are sooo common. medicine is a normal thing and great to help you deal in the short term. you got alotta stuff going on, sometimes it helps to have a little helping hand. as for now its all about slowing down and managing things out. after my father passed 3 years back when i was 18 i almost shut down, i couldnt think, plan, do anything. so i saw a psychologist, slowly talked everything out and then i was able to bring everything back together and am good now. what i do now is write everything down, making lists and laying ideas down on paper us much easier to deal with. you can do it man, just slowing everything down and making logical changes for now.

Sounds like you are #1 stressed and #2 depressed. Not a good combination. I would seek psychotherapy first and doc, second. Doc's can treat the symptom but do not treat the cause, which to me is ridiculous unless you want to be married to taking pills forever. Find a good therapist. Go to a few sessions, if it aint working, fire him/her and move on to the next one. There are good and there are bad, just like good detailers and bad ones. Have heart, you are taking the right steps seeking help. Laugh a little more, stress a little less. You only have one life. ENJOY it! We are happy you are here!

I agree that a little professional help doesn't ever hurt. When I got out of the Marines and moved back home I had a hard time adjusting. Especially with college. I was a 23 year old freshman with two combat tours in Iraq. I was so disconnected with everyone around me. I couldn't sleep, and I wasn't able to enjoy anything. I finally went to the VA and they put in with a good Psychiatrist that was able to help me a lot. I did have to take some medicine for a while but was able to eventually wean it off after about a year and a half. Then I found the motivation to get back into shape physically and deal with "civilians" better. I'm now 29, back in great shape and work out 5 days a week. The best part of it all is that I'm about 20 hrs away from completing my degree. It's been a long road with plenty of ups and downs. Sometimes I didn't think i would ever make it. It will all work out in the end. I wish you the best!

Thank you for your service! both of them!

Matt

I am sorry you are having such a bad time.

I would agree with everyone that getting checked up is NOT a bad idea.

Stress can affect everyone in many different ways and self diagnosis or ignoring something that is out of the norm isn't a good idea.

We are here for you anytime you need to talk!

It's stress (which is probably giving you some depression too). I agree with Teresa on the restraining order.

Moving may give you some more stress, but having a much better paying job (all things being equal) is pretty satisfying. Make sure you get vacations, maybe take one someplace nice -

Archived