Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I wasting my time?

TazMan

Question

Like many, I am not ready to apply a PC machine to my car, but was wondering what to expect doing a Hand Polish as described by the videos useing Adam's Hand Polish trio. I realize I cannot expect "show quality" perfection, but hate to put in 5 to 10 hrs of muscle and end up disappointed with the outcome. :confused:

15 answers to this question

Like many, I am not ready to apply a PC machine to my car, but was wondering what to expect doing a Hand Polish as described by the videos useing Adam's Hand Polish trio. I realize I cannot expect "show quality" perfection, but hate to put in 5 to 10 hrs of muscle and end up disappointed with the outcome. :confused:

On a C5 Vette, yes, hand polishing is an exercise in frustration -- at least if you're trying to correct swirls and all. If you have nearly flawless paint to start with a little revive and americana could go a long way, but you've got to be realistic. My dark blue C5 was a friction nightmare to get corrected.

Maybe another forum member in your neck of the woods could meet up with you and give you a PC polishing demo. :2thumbs:

First things first... don't put in 5-10 hours to see what your results will be. Perform the process on 1 panel or a 2ft x 2ft section first. Inspect and see if you're getting what you want out of it...

If you see a good improvement then theres your answer - proceed to do the rest of the car.

If you don't see enough of an improvement then theres your answer - maybe its not worth your time until you're ready to step up to a machine.

Now - just because hand polishing won't get you perfection doesn't mean there aren't other improvements to be had. The added gloss and shine to the paint will be one aspect you'll see improvement from. Swirls and defects might not be completely removed, but you'll see some improvement or reduction in them.

In the end a machine is always going to trump hand polishing... its just simply a game of numbers - the machine moves faster and more consistently than you physically are capable of, but that doesn't mean theres no benefit to be had at all.

I'm sure Rich can chime in too... hes our resident hand-polishing-black-C5-owner-expert.

No matter what level of perfection you are trying to achieve, a PC or Flex will make your life much easier. And there is an enjoyment using a machine, you know how men like power tools!;)

Some clear-coats are just so hard it is very difficult to make any level of progress (paint correction) by hand.

Dude....get the PC. I know there is technique to using one, I don't disagree that at all, but it's not that difficult to polish paint with a pc. I know it seems like some make it to be some big science, but after about 15 minutes with it, you will ask yourself why you didn't get one before.

Dude....get the PC. I know there is technique to using one, I don't disagree that at all, but it's not that difficult to polish paint with a pc. I know it seems like some make it to be some big science, but after about 15 minutes with it, you will ask yourself why you didn't get one before.

x2

If my mechanically illiterate self can use one, you can as well. It takes about 1-2 panels to be able to get the right technique down.

I know exactly how you feel I was and maybe still am a bit scared!

I just bought a 2011 Chally 392 but I want to learn how to machine polish so I bought my self a flex and will be using my wifes SUV for practice before I even touch my paint on my Chally.

I am in this same quandry. I'm a relatively new owner of a 2006 LeMans Blue C6 Corvette. As many early C6 owners know there was a factory recall on the removable tops for a delamination problem with the adhesive GM was using. The car I purchased had the recall service performed in 2010. The problem is GM no longer offered LeMans Blue in 2010. So my car got the top painted by the local GM dealer in LeMans Blue to match the car. I must say they did a very nice job matching the paint, but they did a pretty poor job of wet sanding and polishing. Nothing short of a machine polish is going to fix the scratches in the top. What scares me though is one of the worst areas is that narrow valley that goes front to back right in the middle of the top. I'm worried about how a machine is going handle that tricky area. My next door neighbor already has a Poter Cable and gave me access to it whenever I want, but I'm nervous as all about that valley in the roof.

I'm a HUGE fan of hand polishing - that was the way we use to do it for years with great results - but, unfortunately, it has its limitations; as we soon realized with the introduction of machines like the Flex and PC which gave us as close to a perfect finish as possible.

Truth be told, I still prefer to hand polish whenever I know it will suffice.

Dylan's given you some great advice.... run with it.

Great input here! On a C5 or C6, I would honestly skip the Porter Cable experience, and head direct for the Flex...

Seems the clear coats on those are difficult to correct, even with the Flex, which corrects 4-5X faster, and better than the PC.

Should we have a disclaimer on the website?

• Attention all Corvette C5 and C6 owners: If your car is silver, in fantastic condition, and never saw a single terry towel, CHINA towel, car wash, California Duster, or dealership 'courtesy' wash, try our hand polishes.
  • If your car has more than 5,000 miles on the odometer, ever once had a terry cloth towel touch the finish, or GOD forbid, California Duster, CHINA towel, experienced a car wash, or dealership wash, we STRONGLY recommend a Flex polisher.
  • Choosing anything less than a Flex machine will net results substantially less than acceptable, and your satisfaction will be less than fulfilled.

Maybe worth posting? While our hand polishes will be incredibly useful once the finish is corrected, they won't correct a swirled, scratched up clear coat, ESPECIALLY on a Corvette C5 or C6, the world's hardest clear coats!

:)

Everyone has provided fantastic advise.

I can tell you from my experience I started out doing the hand polishing. Boy oh boy was it a pain in my arse!!! Of course I have a lot more panels, etc than your vette so you could understand why!

That being said one year later I finally had enough to get the PC kit. I was in heaven! It accomplishes amazing results and while you can still get a good workout while using the PC, you will achieve MUCH better results than doing it by hand.

Adding on to what Adam said, I got to try out the Flex while up in Auburn at the detail clinic with Mook. I immediately LOVED the flex! I like the fact that it has a trigger for speed so when I am spreading out the polish....it's a lot easier than the PC. You don't have to start at level 3-4 and then raise it ....which is a lot of hand movement. But when you are using the flex it's all at the finger! There is a locking mechanism on the Flex that guys can reach with their same hand on the trigger but my fingers are short (I am a girl after all) so I have to lock it with my other hand.

Long story - skip any hand polishing!

If I can teach myself how to use the PC on my friend's TBSS's, you can do it too! Don't be afraid to jump on in!

If you start with the PC you will eventually jump up to the Flex so as Adam recommended....you can start there!

Great input here! On a C5 or C6, I would honestly skip the Porter Cable experience, and head direct for the Flex...

Seems the clear coats on those are difficult to correct, even with the Flex, which corrects 4-5X faster, and better than the PC.

Should we have a disclaimer on the website?

• Attention all Corvette C5 and C6 owners: If your car is silver, in fantastic condition, and never saw a single terry towel, CHINA towel, car wash, California Duster, or dealership 'courtesy' wash, try our hand polishes.
  • If your car has more than 5,000 miles on the odometer, ever once had a terry cloth towel touch the finish, or GOD forbid, California Duster, CHINA towel, experienced a car wash, or dealership wash, we STRONGLY recommend a Flex polisher.
  • Choosing anything less than a Flex machine will net results substantially less than acceptable, and your satisfaction will be less than fulfilled.

Maybe worth posting? While our hand polishes will be incredibly useful once the finish is corrected, they won't correct a swirled, scratched up clear coat, ESPECIALLY on a Corvette C5 or C6, the world's hardest clear coats!

:)

and add in some of those German cars with their hard clear coats (MB, Audi, BMW, ?Porsche?) ;)

Just wondering if there was a Forum member located in the East Bay area (Calif) that would be willing to show me (on my vette) how the Flex Polisher performs.

Naturally I would come to you at your convience!!!

:pc:

Archived